+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Google "skills based resume". This is what I used when I wanted to show what I had the skills for the job even though my prior job titles didn't reflect it.

That said, I only had 18m off (and did DH's books and travelled, so had things in my 'gap') with my 1st and I found it so hard to get part time work. I didn't know if I needed to mention becoming a mum to explain why I wanted jobs I was clearly over qualified for, if that was a good or bad thing. I ended up with 2 casual jobs, both through word of mouth. One through someone DH knew, one through an acquaintance I'd been chatting to at a sporting event. Neither looked at my resume!

My advice is talk to anyone who will listen that you are looking for work, not in a "will you give me a job?" way, more "I'm finding it a challenge, but I'm so keen to work" way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    What did you put down???
    That wouldn’t be something I would take into consideration as an employer , we go on past experiences, personality , follow up ect
    I agree. I would wonder if someone was taking the p$&@, if I read that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you done any volunteering? Been on a committee (P&C, sport club, community etc). They are skills and experience that are more likely to be relevant to an employer.

Volunteering is also a great way to get yourself known and can lead to paid work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post

If I remember your dh is a builder here in SA put that you did administrative work, invoicing, quotes, liasing with suppliers and clients.

This time of year is also crappy as it’s coming out of Xmas. You could also take your cv into all the shops at your local Westfield etc and drop them into all the stores

It’s about up selling yourself not you personal life
    I second this advice too. It’s a very competitive market out there regardless of what job you are going for. I honestly don’t see anything wrong with exaggerating your CV to at least secure an interview. No one is going to hire you right off the bat from a CV, but the real impression is meeting face to face and how you answer questions in interviews (and they can gauge personality fit etc).

A few years back I hired a lady over 55 who had been out of work raising her kids for more than 15 years. But what struck me on her CV was that she listed her tasks she did as a girls guide coordinator. That and the role I was trying to fill was a data entry role (so I wasn’t looking for a career climber but someone who was happy to do this job day in, day out). She stayed in that role for 4 years until it was outsourced but never had any issues.

You just never know what companies / businesses are looking for but I really think beefing up your CV is a good start - they’ll skim it in less than 30 seconds so first impressions are important. Good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PollyM For This Useful Post:

Nafsika (17-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also recommend a really good cover letter, I actually state in mine where my kids are in terms of schooling and that I have enjoyed taking some time out to raise them but now that they are upper primary and high school I am a new ability to provide further flexibility and increase my presence in the workforce- something along those lines anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When I was looking for work once the kids were in school, in my cover letter I took anything I did during that time as skills further learned to help me in the work force... eg having to have good organisational and time management skills, being able to work safely and good communication skills when we were doing a lot of house renovations which involved using a lot of power tools etc. and I was also honest and just said, ‘after many years spent raising my children I am ready to contribute something back to society and just want a chance to be able to prove myself’.
    Maybe I just got lucky with meeting the right manager but she was willing to give me a shot and I’m still there 5 years on (she has since left though). It’s grunt work though but I’m happy there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-DJ Nette View Post
    Have you done any volunteering? Been on a committee (P&C, sport club, community etc). They are skills and experience that are more likely to be relevant to an employer.

Volunteering is also a great way to get yourself known and can lead to paid work.
    Yes, I’ve listed that down. I do volunteer. And involved in school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sairz View Post
    When I was looking for work once the kids were in school, in my cover letter I took anything I did during that time as skills further learned to help me in the work force... eg having to have good organisational and time management skills, being able to work safely and good communication skills when we were doing a lot of house renovations which involved using a lot of power tools etc. and I was also honest and just said, ‘after many years spent raising my children I am ready to contribute something back to society and just want a chance to be able to prove myself’.
    Maybe I just got lucky with meeting the right manager but she was willing to give me a shot and I’m still there 5 years on (she has since left though). It’s grunt work though but I’m happy there.
    That’s exactly what I’ve done. Except help with renovations & power tools