+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What would you answer to the portential employer when they ask.. “what have you done in the past 10 years?”

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you trying for work in the same field that you left 9 years ago? If so it is very valid that they ask what you have been doing - in my field your previous experience would be fairly irrelevant after that time. I would like to know how you kept up to date etc.

If you are going for a position in a new field then what you have done for the last few years is not really relevant. They would be more interested in how you are going to transition into the workforce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    Thank you for your advice, I can leave my kids at school early and be at the workplace by 9 and I’m happy to finish at 5 or 5.30pm.

I’m just not given that chance. *sigh*

We thought to add the career break in because people would be thinking what I’ve been doing for the past 9 years and I would tell them at the interview.

I wouldn’t lie just to get in the door. It isn’t me.
    What type of work are you looking for though ? The majority of the shifts offered where I work you start at 6/7am finish at 11 then there is a few during the day then another lot 5-8 and 7-10 this is how retail works now. I have been there for along time so I’m lucky enough I can dictate what my hours are and work them around my kids

If I remember your dh is a builder here in SA put that you did administrative work, invoicing, quotes, liasing with suppliers and clients.

This time of year is also crappy as it’s coming out of Xmas. You could also take your cv into all the shops at your local Westfield etc and drop them into all the stores

It’s about up selling yourself not you personal life

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummy2beeeeeee View Post
    This is why people lie on their resumes .. so sad
    I wouldn’t lie. Imagine I get the job. Then what!! 🤭

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    What type of work are you looking for though ? The majority of the shifts offered where I work you start at 6/7am finish at 11 then there is a few during the day then another lot 5-8 and 7-10 this is how retail works now. I have been there for along time so I’m lucky enough I can dictate what my hours are and work them around my kids

If I remember your dh is a builder here in SA put that you did administrative work, invoicing, quotes, liasing with suppliers and clients.

This time of year is also crappy as it’s coming out of Xmas. You could also take your cv into all the shops at your local Westfield etc and drop them into all the stores

It’s about up selling yourself not you personal life
    I agree with you, however, I haven’t got much to do with my husbands business. Putting that down would be a lie

I’m looking to work in retail, cafe, admin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with you, however, I haven’t got much to do with my husbands business. Putting that down would be a lie

I’m looking to work in retail, cafe, admin.
    You need to put something on your cv. It just can’t be I’ve been a stay at home mum as harsh as it may sound they will just read it and pass. On average when we are hiring which won’t be til mid June we get around 1000 applicants for 30 casual positions. It’s really tough atm out there. As I said drop your cv into every shop at your local shopping centre

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When I’ve been hiring people that fact that they have children has been irrelevant. What has been relevant though is their availability. Are you able to make it clear your availability on your CV? And if the option of before school is available, make your availability 7:30-5:30 weekdays or something. This would mean you could cover a morning shift. Starting at 9 might exclude you from some roles (eg cafe).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you I’ve put down that I’m looking for part time to casual work.

I’ve also listed the duties that I did for being a stay at home mum. As I read that online. (Which was my lecturers advice)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What would you answer to the portential employer when they ask.. “what have you done in the past 10 years?”
    I stopped work to have my kids and now they are at school age I’m ready to go back to work, I’m very flexible with hours and day’s

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thank you I’ve put down that I’m looking for part time to casual work.

I’ve also listed the duties that I did for being a stay at home mum. As I read that online. (Which was my lecturers advice)
    What did you put down???
    That wouldn’t be something I would take into consideration as an employer , we go on past experiences, personality , follow up ect