+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Discriminated for work - Due to being a parent.

Hi all, I didn’t know what to put as the topic so I chose the above.

I’m looking for part time or casual work. My resume is up to date. It was also suggested that I add that I had a career break to have a family. In which I did.

However.... at job interviews prior to me adding that part in I would tell them why I hadn’t worked for so many years. (9 years) now that I’ve added that part in. I have not been called for 1 interview.

I don’t know what to do, I’m open to suggestions. I’m a person who would love to work.

I’ve actually been told by managers / supervisors themselves that they won’t hire mums. And this is me prior to seeking work with the company etc.

Thank You

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It’s a sad reality really because no man would be discriminated against for being a dad.

I’m sorry you’re in this situation. This is why I will always encourage my daughters to keep one foot in the door after having kids. I worked part-time since having kids and now that they’re all at school I still only “work” 3 days week.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

JR03 (17-01-2020),Mum-I-Am (14-01-2020),Neraka (21-02-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It’s a sad reality really because no man would be discriminated against for being a dad.

I’m sorry you’re in this situation. This is why I will always encourage my daughters to keep one foot in the door after having kids. I worked part-time since having kids and now that they’re all at school I still only “work” 3 days week.

I know... it’s pretty bad. It actually makes me feel useless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is why people lie on their resumes .. so sad

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was being declined interviews because of my age they assumed I was a Mum.
    As if long term TTC isn't bad enough without adding that insult to injury

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Discriminated for work - Due to being a parent.

I would tell them at the interview that I had kids & are now in school. Etc

ETA: it’s on my resume that I was a stay at home mum.
    Last edited by Nafsika; 14-01-2020 at 11:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Put in your cv that you have done work with your dh and his business. Take out that your a mum. In retail it would be looked over honestly (I don’t recruit anymore). The issue employers would see is that you will want school hours only which is generally the case 90% of the time and these days people have to accept that not all businesses are 9 to 5. People in my place of employment work anywhere from 6am to 10pm and the more availablity if flexible hours one has the more likely it is people will get shifts aswell. If you say you can only work say 930 to 230 there is zero chance of anyone getting shift like that unless you’ve been with the company for years

Thanks
    Reviews
    It’s not that you have children, it’s your employment history. You have been out of the workforce for almost a decade. Have you done any study, training or helped anyone with a business? Do you have before/after care? Can you work weekends or evenings? What qualifications do you hold or can you get? These are all things you need to think about. I definitely would not be writing that you have had a career break for 9 years.
    Also finding school hours work is extremely difficult even with the greatest work history, there are literally hundreds of people that want this type of work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Put in your cv that you have done work with your dh and his business. Take out that your a mum. In retail it would be looked over honestly (I don’t recruit anymore). The issue employers would see is that you will want school hours only which is generally the case 90% of the time and these days people have to accept that not all businesses are 9 to 5. People in my place of employment work anywhere from 6am to 10pm and the more availablity if flexible hours one has the more likely it is people will get shifts aswell. If you say you can only work say 930 to 230 there is zero chance of anyone getting shift like that unless you’ve been with the company for years
    Thank you for your advice, I can leave my kids at school early and be at the workplace by 9 and I’m happy to finish at 5 or 5.30pm.

I’m just not given that chance. *sigh*

We thought to add the career break in because people would be thinking what I’ve been doing for the past 9 years and I would tell them at the interview.

I wouldn’t lie just to get in the door. It isn’t me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    It’s not that you have children, it’s your employment history. You have been out of the workforce for almost a decade. Have you done any study, training or helped anyone with a business? Do you have before/after care? Can you work weekends or evenings? What qualifications do you hold or can you get? These are all things you need to think about. I definitely would not be writing that you have had a career break for 9 years.
    Also finding school hours work is extremely difficult even with the greatest work history, there are literally hundreds of people that want this type of work.
    Yes... I studied last year.