+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toddler coping with new pregnancy

Hi Mummas, I’m looking for some advice on helping my toddler (19mo) cope with my new pregnancy.

I got my BFP yesterday so I’m only about 4 weeks but for the last week or so DD has been super clingy, only wants me (even though she adores her dad), sleep has been a bit disrupted because she will wake up and sit in bed crying for Mummy. I have heard that toddlers can sense when there’s a new baby on the way and can pick up some of the hormones through breast milk (I am still feeding once a day) but this has been quite a dramatic shift.

Has anyone else experienced this with your second or later pregnancy? How long does it last? And any tips for helping her cope with it a bit better and understand she’s still my little bestie????

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toddler coping with new pregnancy

Mine (2yo) has been more cuddly at night but otherwise no difference. He loves babies, says “BABY” every time he sees one and has his own baby doll and I tell him all the time I have a baby in my belly (I’m 16w).

I know he doesn’t understand really but I just talk to him about it a lot. Once the baby comes that will be the big adjustment!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can’t say it gets easier - I’m 39weeks tomorrow and Miss 2 (27months) has gotten more and more clingy/ attached/ affectionate as it’s progressed.

She seemed okay a few months ago, but just this week she’s declared that she doesn’t want to meet her baby brother. She’s also suddenly asked us to feed her at some meals (even though we never spoon fed!) and she’s been saying she’s a baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm OK so I should just get used to it 😂

I have been trying the following:
    - making sure I do respond to her requests for cuddles as soon as I can (might have to finish something in the kitchen or something first)
    - spending time together doing one-on-one things (outings etc, drawing, reading lots of books together and playing as much as I have time for)
    - talking to her about how much we love her
    - trying to encourage her to do things independently with lots of praise.

We haven’t explained to her yet about there being a new baby as she is such a chatterbox and we don’t want to tell anyone else yet. She likes the idea of other babies but not sure how she will feel about the reality either!