+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sore nipples

For the last 4 days, I've been having quite a bit of nipple pain. The nipples are not red, pink, white or look odd in any way. No discharge. I'm breastfeeding. It has become so painful and annoying to breastfeed. Every time bub looks at me with hungry eyes, I wince.

Does anyone know what this could be from?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also bub doesn't have teeth or any coming through. No change in latch either. It's driving me crazy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Has your period returned yet? If not it could be a precursor to that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

MissTwiggley (08-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is nothing unusual, it is just something that nobody tells you about breastfeeding, it can really freaking HURT. Im sure that is why they invented 'nipple guards' although most lactation consultants either dont tell you about them, or claim you dont need them or make you feel guilty if you want to use them. It is true it could just be from not being attached well, but I never found that with my first child. All the breast nurses said she had a perfect attachment, and that my nipples would "toughen up"... I found it totally awful and gave up breastfeeding then started expressing.
    I hope things get better. Wish you the best of luck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummamania For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    Has your period returned yet? If not it could be a precursor to that.
    I didn't consider that! Good point. I had my first PP period 4.5 weeks ago. I don't recall any pain around that time. Wondering if that's changed though.. Hormones could be sorting themselves out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummamania View Post
    It is nothing unusual, it is just something that nobody tells you about breastfeeding, it can really freaking HURT. Im sure that is why they invented 'nipple guards' although most lactation consultants either dont tell you about them, or claim you dont need them or make you feel guilty if you want to use them. It is true it could just be from not being attached well, but I never found that with my first child. All the breast nurses said she had a perfect attachment, and that my nipples would "toughen up"... I found it totally awful and gave up breastfeeding then started expressing.
    I hope things get better. Wish you the best of luck.
    Thank you! Yes, breastfeeding can certainly be painful at times. I should mention that I've not had any pain breastfeeding him since birth. He's 4 months now and it's the first time it's come up. At first I thought he was getting his first tooth as it feels like a grating, scraping pain but there was nothing to be found.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can’t remember the cause of my nipple pain (I had so many different issues), but I got some Bactroban on recommendation from my child health nurse/IBCLC and it worked a treat. I’d also been on antibiotics for a presumed infection even though I had no obvious mastitis symptoms apart from the searing pain.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTwiggley View Post
    I didn't consider that! Good point. I had my first PP period 4.5 weeks ago. I don't recall any pain around that time. Wondering if that's changed though.. Hormones could be sorting themselves out.
    I didn't have it after my first two but with my last I had very sore nipples for 4-5 days in the week before my period. It sucked! It happened for the first 5-6 periods but doesn't happen anymore.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    I can’t remember the cause of my nipple pain (I had so many different issues), but I got some Bactroban on recommendation from my child health nurse/IBCLC and it worked a treat. I’d also been on antibiotics for a presumed infection even though I had no obvious mastitis symptoms apart from the searing pain.
    I've had mastitis, it's awful isn't it! It does feel a little like that type of pain, but perhaps a 6 or 7 out of 10 (if 10 was the mastitis pain). I'll definitely look into getting some bactroban if it doesn't settle within a few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it possible that you have nipple thrush? Lottie developed oral thrush last month and it transferred to my nipples and it was similar to what you're describing. Does your bub have any white patches in his mouth? x

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PoohBear2910 For This Useful Post: