+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Constipated

Really suffering badly with constipation at the moment. I’m 14 weeks pregnant and taking progesterone pessaries. Any safe remedies that have worked pretty much immediately for you ladies? I’ve been taking colloxyl and a daily fibre supplement but need something to clear a blocked exit if that’s not TMI?
    Last edited by sathwa; 09-01-2020 at 08:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Constipation is the worst!
    With ds2 I was so backed up from taking iron supplements the dr had me taking lactulose as well. It tastes gross (really sickly sweet) but it works. I would take it at night before bed and would have a rapid ‘evacuation’ in the morning. Wasn’t pleasant but it certainly got things moving without straining (no piles/anal fissures).
    Make sure you drink lots of water and eat plenty of soluble fibre as well, LSA and psyllium husk are good on yoghurt, cereal or in a smoothie.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Twinkletoes Sparklebutt For This Useful Post:

sathwa (09-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this problem for a few weeks at the start of second trimester. Not sure if it’ll help as an immediate solution, but a few things that have worked for me has been decaf espresso coffee and prunes! I have prunes with my breakfast everyday now and it’s a regular go to snack too. Also lots of water everyday!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tashee For This Useful Post:

sathwa (09-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dried apricots! Trust me.
    My naturopath recommended it for me after birth and about an hour after eating them I had no bowel issues at all lol.

Just don't eat too many. Try about 2 small handfuls and see how you go.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMSL For This Useful Post:

sathwa (09-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    An enema. If it's a blockage and you are really uncomfortable, I would use an enema.
    I was blocked up after having bubs, like really blocked up and the midwife suggested an enema, within 30mins I was all sorted. Felt so much better after that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

sathwa (09-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. It truly is the worst. I chatted to my ob’s midwife yesterday and I’ve started taking Movicol sachets. Finally passed last night. Will keep those up as well as the soluble fibre and now onto dried prunes too. @Tinkers yep I’ve experienced an enema - years ago after surgery that completely blocked me up. The relief was sweet but didn’t love the experience of actually getting it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took Osmolax almost daily for 6 months of my pregnancy - it draws fluid and prevents constipation/impaction from occurring. Similar to Movicol but I found it better and more cost effective. Far more effective than laxatives and no cramping effect. Stay on top of things because an impaction is horrid...it's like giving birth but without the cute baby or congratulations...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elevatormusic For This Useful Post:

sathwa (13-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevatormusic View Post
    I took Osmolax almost daily for 6 months of my pregnancy - it draws fluid and prevents constipation/impaction from occurring. Similar to Movicol but I found it better and more cost effective. Far more effective than laxatives and no cramping effect. Stay on top of things because an impaction is horrid...it's like giving birth but without the cute baby or congratulations...
    I think I may have to do the same. I’m still only going every 4 days but at least now the bowel movement is soft. Did the Osmolax make you go every day? (And I’ve had impaction after surgery years ago where they forgot to give me laxatives when I was on OxyContin , it was indeed like giving birth hence me being terrified to get that bad again!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sathwa View Post
    Thanks ladies. It truly is the worst. I chatted to my ob’s midwife yesterday and I’ve started taking Movicol sachets. Finally passed last night. Will keep those up as well as the soluble fibre and now onto dried prunes too. @Tinkers yep I’ve experienced an enema - years ago after surgery that completely blocked me up. The relief was sweet but didn’t love the experience of actually getting it!
    Hello!

I’m currently nearly 11 weeks and also on pessaries. OMG. I’m so backed up

Is Movicol safe to take in pregnancy as I have some in the house but Google is referring me to a ‘medical professional’..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, Movicol and Osmolax are safe during pregnancy. They're not laxatives so you don't get that cramping effect, they draw water to your bowel so the end result isn't harder than a stone benchtop lol

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Elevatormusic For This Useful Post:

sathwa (21-01-2020)