+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default VBAC vs. elective c-section - 2nd baby

It’s only early days thankfully, I’m only 10.5 weeks with second bub but trying to get some first hand experience or any knowledge you may have about this.

DS labour - induced at 40+5 via waters broken & drip, progressed quickly, pushed for 3 hours, DS was direct OP so ended up being an emergency c section as he wasn’t going anywhere

Due to above my OB has basically offered me the option of VBAC or opting to go straight for c section

I feel quite torn between the two and really don’t know how I’m going to decide as they both have pros and cons for me

Would love to hear any advice you might have

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had no issue with VBAC, mine went fine, every birth is different really. Just know that if you choose an elective c-section for this birth that once you've had a second c-section, and you have a second uterine scar, that they REALLY make it hard for you to choose VBAC with subsequent births. Also a lot of places 3 c-sections is the limit then, depending on where you are, they can say you have to go to a bigger hospital and are more high risk.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummamania For This Useful Post:

Loh4 (05-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummamania View Post
    I've had no issue with VBAC, mine went fine, every birth is different really. Just know that if you choose an elective c-section for this birth that once you've had a second c-section, and you have a second uterine scar, that they REALLY make it hard for you to choose VBAC with subsequent births. Also a lot of places 3 c-sections is the limit then, depending on where you are, they can say you have to go to a bigger hospital and are more high risk.
    Thanks for your reply I wasn’t aware of that, will add it to my list of questions to ask my OB if that’s what she follows as well only allowing 3 c sections as that would influence our decision potentially.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had an emergency CS with my DD 2.5 years ago. It will be just over 3 years when I have belly bub. I had a long chat with my obstetrician about this as there was an incident at work involving a VBAC right when I found out I was pregnant that freaked me out. Basically he told me that I was a good candidate for a VBAC because of the length of time between CS and the reason for my CS (obstructed labour). I spoke to him at length about syntocinon vs no syntocinon. The rate of uterine rupture in a VBAC is something like 0.5% with no synto and 1% with synto. This would be worthwhile to discuss with your obstetrician as it will at least give you a better expectation and understanding of what may/may not happen. Also understanding that a CS becomes more difficult the longer the pregnancy goes on but a VBAC becomes “easier” (body more likely to be ready to labour as the pregnancy progresses compared to earlier).

For example my obstetrician is recommending a VBAC for me because it will have been 3 years and we are planning more children. If I go into labour spontaneously then he will not use syntocinon, as if my labour stalls then it could be a physical reason I’m obstructing (ie pelvis shape) rather than just the positioning of DD during my labour with her. If my waters break or I need an induction for whatever reason, then he is more than happy to use syntocinon for my labour. I am more than happy with this plan. Obviously things can change during the pregnancy and if it so happens that a VBAC is not on the cards for me, then I’m fine with that too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an emergency c for my first and an elective for my second.

Same ob both times my recovery for my elective was heaps better. I was up the same day, off all pain relief besides panadol within 24 hours.

I’m so glad I chose an elective c. Things were so calm, and I got to hold DD2 the entire time I was stitched up then whilst in recovery too.

Good luck with your decision, it’s tough making that call and I didn’t decide until about 34 weeks. We booked in my date at 28 weeks just incase and then I made my final decision at 34 weeks. Ob was happy for me to cancel anytime though and try for vbac. Although the reason I ended up with an emergency c the first time started as a failed induction ob said my pelvis opening is narrow so wouldn’t have got baby out anyway so that was in the back of my mind, as DD2 was measuring smaller ob was happy to let me try but to be prepared it may end in a c and thankfully I chose the elective c as Dd2 ended up being bigger anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    I had an emergency CS with my DD 2.5 years ago. It will be just over 3 years when I have belly bub. I had a long chat with my obstetrician about this as there was an incident at work involving a VBAC right when I found out I was pregnant that freaked me out. Basically he told me that I was a good candidate for a VBAC because of the length of time between CS and the reason for my CS (obstructed labour). I spoke to him at length about syntocinon vs no syntocinon. The rate of uterine rupture in a VBAC is something like 0.5% with no synto and 1% with synto. This would be worthwhile to discuss with your obstetrician as it will at least give you a better expectation and understanding of what may/may not happen. Also understanding that a CS becomes more difficult the longer the pregnancy goes on but a VBAC becomes “easier” (body more likely to be ready to labour as the pregnancy progresses compared to earlier).

For example my obstetrician is recommending a VBAC for me because it will have been 3 years and we are planning more children. If I go into labour spontaneously then he will not use syntocinon, as if my labour stalls then it could be a physical reason I’m obstructing (ie pelvis shape) rather than just the positioning of DD during my labour with her. If my waters break or I need an induction for whatever reason, then he is more than happy to use syntocinon for my labour. I am more than happy with this plan. Obviously things can change during the pregnancy and if it so happens that a VBAC is not on the cards for me, then I’m fine with that too.
    Thank you for this, I will definitely have a chat I did read being induced increases risks of not being successful but didn’t realise the % was still so low compared to not induced.

I will have to have a chat and discuss with her, it’s such a tough one.

I think I also need to talk to DP on whether we are done or not after this one as that will probably impact on my decision too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie View Post
    I had an emergency c for my first and an elective for my second.

Same ob both times my recovery for my elective was heaps better. I was up the same day, off all pain relief besides panadol within 24 hours.

I’m so glad I chose an elective c. Things were so calm, and I got to hold DD2 the entire time I was stitched up then whilst in recovery too.

Good luck with your decision, it’s tough making that call and I didn’t decide until about 34 weeks. We booked in my date at 28 weeks just incase and then I made my final decision at 34 weeks. Ob was happy for me to cancel anytime though and try for vbac. Although the reason I ended up with an emergency c the first time started as a failed induction ob said my pelvis opening is narrow so wouldn’t have got baby out anyway so that was in the back of my mind, as DD2 was measuring smaller ob was happy to let me try but to be prepared it may end in a c and thankfully I chose the elective c as Dd2 ended up being bigger anyway.
    Thank you!

I’m glad to read your second c section was a much better experience than your first.

Did you find you were back to normal tasks sooner, struggle less with the bending, getting up/down etc?

Also how old was your DD when you had DD2? I’m worried about have a very active toddler wanting to climb on me/ be picked up and not being able too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an elective caesarean with my first 19 months ago due to my OB having concerns about my pelvis getting damaged if I went naturally. My recovery from my first was good.

I had my second elective caesarean last week for the same reasons and recovery has been much easier! The midwife was saying recovery after your second caesarean is generally a lot easier. 10 days on and I don’t feel physically restricted in any way (obviously I can’t lift things though).

I was really worried about not being able to care for my 19 month old since I can’t lift him and have him on my lap but I’ll just do what I can and remind myself it’s only for 6 weeks. We are lucky to have help from family when my husband has to work.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default VBAC vs. elective c-section - 2nd baby

Quote Originally Posted by LJD23 View Post
    I had an elective caesarean with my first 19 months ago due to my OB having concerns about my pelvis getting damaged if I went naturally. My recovery from my first was good.

I had my second elective caesarean last week for the same reasons and recovery has been much easier! The midwife was saying recovery after your second caesarean is generally a lot easier. 10 days on and I don’t feel physically restricted in any way (obviously I can’t lift things though).

I was really worried about not being able to care for my 19 month old since I can’t lift him and have him on my lap but I’ll just do what I can and remind myself it’s only for 6 weeks. We are lucky to have help from family when my husband has to work.
    Omg did I miss this? Congratulations on your little girl I hope you’re feeling well !!

I’m glad to hear the second C-section wasn’t tough for you lovely!

That is a good point that in the scheme of things it is only a short time, it’s not like it’s 6 months or a year.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Loh4 For This Useful Post:

LJD23 (09-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would wait and see how your pregnancy progresses, and perhaps decide closer to. Also need to take into consideration how many babies you would like to have in your family, as the more csections, the more scar tissue to your uterus.