+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Plant based eating

Probably posting in the wrong section mods please feel free to move if I have. I am making a New Years resolution to start plant based eating for health reasons. I have read so many benefits with going in this direction I am pretty much sold, but I am having trouble finding a lot of budget and family friendly recipes. I have DH and kids convinced to jump on the wagon with me but would like to be able to make meals that I know they will eat that will also not send us broke buying the ingredients so I am asking the wise members of BH to please share their recipes and/or websites

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loodle View Post
    Probably posting in the wrong section mods please feel free to move if I have. I am making a New Years resolution to start plant based eating for health reasons. I have read so many benefits with going in this direction I am pretty much sold, but I am having trouble finding a lot of budget and family friendly recipes. I have DH and kids convinced to jump on the wagon with me but would like to be able to make meals that I know they will eat that will also not send us broke buying the ingredients so I am asking the wise members of BH to please share their recipes and/or websites
    Good on you! So many benefits.

This is a go to for me. So quick too

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/r...ntil-bolognese

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

loodle (23-12-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not 100% plant based but am a good way there. I started eating this way primarily for health reasons as I had high cholesterol and needed to find a way to lower it naturally quickly or go on medication. The good news is that it has lowered my cholesterol, however my iron and vitamin D levels are now very low. BUT, I have always needed iron tablets even when eating meat and the doctor wanted me to stop taking the supplements 1 month prior to taking a blood test so it may not be my diet, it may just be me and my very heavy periods. I had a skin cancer cancer treatment last year that was very unpleasant (topical chemo cream) and I have stayed out of the sun since, and wear lots of sunscreen when I venture outside, even at 7am so the low vitamin D could be due to staying out of the sun and not being malnourished.

Anyway, I am close to plant based but not all the way there. I do have salmon for dinner once per week, and one tin of sardines for a lunch. I also drink a couple of glasses of skim milk per day. Apart from that I am eating unprocessed / minimally processed plant foods the rest of the time.

A typical day for me would be:
    Breakfast - porridge (large bowl) with a splash of skim milk, then topped with sunflower seeds, pepita's (pumplin seeds), chia seeds, flaxseeds.. If I have hemp seeds I sprinkle some on top as well. Then I usually finish off with a handful of berries - seasonal, whatever I have or some other vitamin C rich fruit. I have a small coffee grinder and grind my own flax seeds just before eating (they must be ground for the body to absorb nutrients and are best freshly ground). Glass of skim milk (I am going to start having the milk later in the day because dairy can inhibit iron absorption and the chia and pepita are iron rich).

Morning tea - banana, handful of almonds OR walnuts and a couple of brazil nuts OR other nuts.

Lunch - two pieces of wholemeal toast with vegemite on top. NO butter. I have the vegemite with the orange lid because it has extra B vitamins and contains B12 which is important (more about that later). Then I have a bowl of bean / legume rich soup or homemade baked beans that i have frozen in individual serves and just heat up. I then snack on a large tub (750mls - 1 litre) of mixed chopped raw veges - whatever I have at home - carrots, capsicum, broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas, beans, kale, spinach, cabbage.

Afternoon Tea - seasonal fruit, more toast if I am hungry

Dinner - I am in a rut and we are aren't having as much variety as I would like. A typical week would be a pasta dish, mexican dish, chickpea curry with brown rice, felafels / lentil koftas , roast veges and salmon, homemade pizza, some sort of soup with homemade bread. I have tried a few plant based burger recipes and still can't find one I like. Oh, I also make a dahl recipe I found on BH and will link later Oh and stir fried veges with brown rice and added nuts / legumes for protein.

Recipes I like:

Burrito's - https://livelighter.com.au/Recipe/53...-burrito-3-2-1 I change it a bit though by using 1-2 cobs fresh corn instead of the frozen, 1 x tin of black beans, and 1 x tin of kidney beans instead of the 2 x kidney beans. I also cook my own lentils - 110g cooked lentils = approx 1 tin. I also cook my own black and kidney beans from scratch. 1 tin = approx 1 1/2 cups cooked. I also add a good amount of baby spinach just before serving and let it cook down. Kids eat with tortilla wraps, I just eat with a very large green salad eg most if not all a cos lettuce, lotsa spinach, kale, cabbage, cucumber, tomato, capsicum.

Falafels - https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/falafel/ . Highly recommended. Kids eat with homemade flat breads or tortillas. Again I eat with a very large salad as per above.

Lentil Soup - https://www.pritikin.com/recipe/lentil-barley-soup . Teamed with homemade wholemeal bread rolls.

Turkish split pea soup - https://instantpoteats.com/turkish-s...nt-pot-recipe/
    Teamed with this - https://www.sarahbakesgfree.com/2016...cia-bread.html

*I add way more peas and lentils into the soups than the recipe states.

I also have a leek and potato soup that I make and add about 3 x tins kidney beans , 3 x tins chickpeas to or 1 x packet dried and cooked of each.

We have played around with a pasta sauce and settled on - dice lots of carrots, celery, onion, garlic. Saute a bit then add lots of quartered mushrooms. Keep on cooking until veges are soft. Add 2 x tins 4 bean mix, couple of grated zucchini, couple of tins crushed tomatoes, bit of tomato paste, water if needed. Let simmer for 15 minutes or so. Add a good amount of spinach and cook down. Serve over pasta. I top with nuts eg pinenuts, cashews. What I want to do is try with recipe with added lentils to up the protein and fibre level as it doesn't have as much legumes per serve as a lot of my other recipes.

Something I keep on meaning to make; https://www.pritikin.com/pritikin-re...rown-rice.html and freeze in individual serves to have with dinner on nights when the meal is low in legumes eg homemade pizza or stirfry night.

I have a community aid abroad cookbook with some recipes in for chickpea curries. I can take photos and link them here if you are interested. Some of the recipes are a little odd - ie very dry, but I always feel very healthy eating them and they are very filling. I also make lentil koftas from that book. Best way I can describe them is a lentil ball (kind of like a falefel) in a curry sauce.

I have to take me DD to work but will be back later with links to sites you may like.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 23-12-2019 at 18:03.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

loodle (23-12-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Back now.

Few tips:
    1. Put your daily food intake through Chronometer - nutrition tracker. This helped me tweak what I eat in a day to meet minimum nutritional targets. I like the site because you can add your own recipes and it will work out the nutrition per serve. If you use the site make sure to click on the item not the brand. Eg tinned chickpeas, NOT Edgell tinned chickpeas. This is because their database for unbranded items contains better data than branded items which only have what's on the label and often miss out important information.

2. Vitamin B12. There are no plant based sources of B12. If you are going vegan you must supplement. Soy foods are generally fortified with B12, but don't rely on it. The vegan society recommends supplementing. My daughter didn't (we didn't know) and became anaemic and needed Vitamin B12 shots at the doctors.

3. Omega 3 fatty acids - eat a good serve of chia or ground flax or hemp every day. Your body converts the fat in them into Omega 3 Very important. I cover myself by eating good serve two or more everyday.

4. Eat a decent serve of nuts everyday and mix it up. A lot of vegans claim you need to eat one brazil nut everyday for the selenium. I would eat them every second day or so. When I put my food intake into Chronometer I was getting sufficent anwyay without eating the brazil nut. (I have NFI what selenium even is or why they all make such a big deal about it)..

5. Soymilk has protein, a lot of other plant based milks don't. If you want to use almond milk don't buy the organic as the non organic has added calcium.

6. Phytates - I have read a lot of articles on this. Phytates in plants are often referred to as antinutritients. ie they block the bodies absorption of nutrients. On the plus side phytates are thought to have a protective affect against cancers, so pick your poison. I was ignoring this until I was told my iron was shot a couple of days ago so will look again next year. In general - soak legumes and grains prior to cooking. I soak beans I cook from scratch but wasn't worrying too much about lentils, rice or barley. I have seen a lot of recommendations to aim for 150% of the RDI vitamin and mineral intake on a plant based diet to allow for the fact the some nutrients may not be absorbed by the body.

Links you may like. For the youtube links have a look at their what I eat in a day videos as it may give you some tips. I do not follow any one particular person's recommendations.

Pick up limes - dietician with a website full or vegan recipes and a youtube channel where she cooks her recipes Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq2...KMWzCA4liA_XGQ
    Blog - https://www.pickuplimes.com/

Sarah Lemkus
    Recipes - https://www.sarahlemkus.com/recipes Youtube- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk...9J-VS8Au5-iALQ

Avant-garde Vegan
    Website - https://www.avantgardevegan.com/
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF-...0oXD4ihS5mbbmw

Cheap Lazy Vegan - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEj...O_OIUaSWRxFZ3A
    Lilykoi Hawaii = https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...MKgcl1eMjCt3jQ

Minimalist Baker - https://minimalistbaker.com/
    Lazycatkitchen - https://www.lazycatkitchen.com/

Brilliant chocolate cake recipe I found on BH -https://chocolatechocolateandmore.co...pression-cake/

Hope this helps

Oh few more tips. After eating this way for a while, my tastebuds changed so I have stopped eating say tomato sauce or regular peanut butter. I've started buying the Oh So Nuts brand from Coles, which I like because they use Kingaroy peanuts. Bega have a natural peanut butter using Australian nuts. A lot of others use imported nuts and I prefer product of Australia when I can get it. Ditto for Buckwehat, Hemp, Sunflower seeds and Pepitas. I order online and buy product of Australia, Personal preference here.

ETA now I have been eating this way for 6 months I am thinking might see a dietician to double check my diet is okay.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 23-12-2019 at 10:51.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

loodle (23-12-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    One more thing, this list of foods may help:

https://www.peta.org.au/living/accidentally-vegan/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

loodle (23-12-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Plant based eating

Just a few tips:

- make sure you all get enough complete protein during the day (nuts, quinoa, tofu, tempeh , lentils, beans are some of the best)
    - b12 supplements are a must , iron is definitely doable and the above foods all contain iron but just add chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds to all your salads , smoothies ect for an added boost and use blackstrap molasses in soups and on roast veggies for a huge iron hit
    - be aware of filling up on carbs - sometimes when you go out it’s easy just to order pasta or chips or high carb foods , my sister piled on the weight as she ate more carbs when going vegan so make sure you get enough protein with your meals to keep you full
    - read the labels of all the “fake” meat products if you buy any as they can be full of msg, preservatives and salt so will not help a healthier lifestyle
    - as pp said keep your omega 3,s up - add flaxseed oil to veggies or salad dressings as it’s high in omega 3,s
    - definitely get a blood test and check your vitamin d, b12 and iron after a few months - my sisters was stupidly low and everyone is different so get everyone checked (regardless of bring vegan)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

loodle (23-12-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What type of dinners do you and your family enjoy? We can help you find vegan/vegetarian recipes.

We enjoy a lot of casseroles and oven baked dishes. One hearty favourite is spinach-ricotta cannelloni. What about a veggie cottage pie? Or a veggie stir fry? Baked stuffed capsicums?

Are there any food aversions that the kids have? My boys are not big on the texture of mushrooms, so I process them ever so finely in casseroles so that they don't notice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We enjoy a lot of stir fry’s, salads and sometimes casseroles we aren’t a meat and 3 veg type of family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you planning to go vegan or vegetarian? I ask as eggs are a good source of many nutrients. Omelettes, mini quiches etc all make good breakfasts. One egg has 6g of protein. You need about 0.8g of your body weight in protein every day (e.g 50kg person needs 40g per day).

Salads - You would be looking at substituting chicken, ham or beef strips for beans and high protein grains such as quinoa. Avocado in your salad dressing will provide a good amount of healthy fats.
    A favourite salad around here: Baby cos lettuce, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumber, slices of red and yellow capsicum, crispy fried eggplant (like croutons), thinly sliced red onion, very thinly sliced radish, cubes of feta cheese, and chunks of avocado. I make a huge batch of tzatziki sauce to coat it all in or a olive oil/avocado/garlic/lemon dressing. Sometimes I add a cup of cooked quinoa for protein (8g per cooked cup).

Stir fry - You could try tofu as a source of protein. Top with sliced spring onion, sesame seeds and cashews. Loads of veggie options here - baby spinach, capsicum, onion, garlic, broccoli, mushroom, carrot, asian greens, and snowpeas. Use brown rice instead of white for extra nutrition.

If you want to keep costs down, visit your local green grocer and buy by the box. The initial outlay is a lot but overall it is cheaper especially if you have a diet heavy in vegetables. You can buy a 5kg box of capsicum and make stuffed capsicums, roast/BBQ some and leave some fresh for a veggie salad, use them in quiche, stir fry, capsicum soup, capsicum-hummus dip for after school snacks, ratatouille etc.
    A 5kg box of mushrooms we would use in the following ways: Cottage pie, veggie tomato based pasta sauce, stir fry, oven baked with a lemon-garlic sauce, creamy garlic mushroom risotto etc.
    A box of sweet potato will last for several weeks in the right conditions. Use them in quiche, soup, bake them in the oven until caramalised, sweet potato mash, sweet potato fries, loaded sweet potato spuds etc.
    Buy carrots by the 5kg bag and use them as a filler in everything.

I have greek and italian heritage on my mother's side and most everything we ate included meat one way or another. I am a huge fan of veggies in general and want our family to move toward a more plant based diet (about 90% plant based), so I'm trying to figure this out myself. I'm really excited though. I feel it's healthier overall, kinder to the environment and definitely kinder to animals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the advice! I wasn’t sure about eggs but yes I think I will still eat them. Tofu, quinoa, chickpeas, black beans and all those things will definitely be in our dishes same as avocado because we have a lot of them now. My biggest concern is how to cut meat out and still be a balanced meal and how to cut 90% of processed food without needing to spend hours in the kitchen each night. I have finally talked DH into a thermomix demo in Feb so fingers crossed I order one and that helps cut down meal prep time