+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Double pram?

With number 2 on the way, we are looking at changing the pram we have to something that can convert to a double pram. We currently have a Steelcraft Strider Compact. While it’s been a good pram, it’s heavy and takes up our entire boot. We can buy a second seat for it, which is why we bought it in the first place but DH and I are open to other options. The other consideration is we have a Britax Unity capsule that we want to be able to use with the pram (with adaptors if necessary). I’d also like one that still has an accessible basket (if such a thing exists) as a lot of prams seem to have the second seat using the basket under the pram as foot space.

We’d been talking about Redsbaby as I’ve heard they do fold up easily, but given we’d have to go to a specific demo day, we obviously haven’t had a good look.

DD will be 3 by the time bub arrives so I’m not sure we’d need the second seat all the time, but certainly for big days out I’d like the option of a second seat.

Budget probably under $1500. Not that we’ve talked about it, but I guess that would be a starting point.

(edited to change budget as most prams seem to be >$1000 )
    Last edited by MLadyEm; 19-12-2019 at 16:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I’ve got Maclaren twin techno but you can’t buy them new in australia is the issue.

Depends if you want one behind each other or side by side. I didn’t want something huge taking the entire boot plus I love Maclaren and have a techno xl single that my sister gave me.

I rarely use the twin anymore as dd is bigger and ds is squished in so they go in a trolley if I shop

IMG_7174.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have an uppababy vista. You can get a second seat or a skateboard for it. It’s a little heavy but folds easily.

It works with a few capsule types not sure if unity is one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
    We have an uppababy vista. You can get a second seat or a skateboard for it. It’s a little heavy but folds easily.

It works with a few capsule types not sure if unity is one.
    I think that’s one I bookmarked to show DH. Does the second seat sit in the basket? I was looking in the bubs and grubs website and they had a picture of a pram where the second seat sat in front, but it wasn’t a link to anything so I don’t know if I’m after a Unicorn pram

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd1 was almost 3 by the time we had dd2 and I never ended up needing the second seat, so I'm going to make a different suggestion.

Buy your ideal single pram that is less bulky than the Compact, and either get a second seat for the Compact or buy a dedicated double (eg. Agile twin or city mini double) and just use that for longer outings when your dd is more likely to need a rest. I've found that any pram capable of adding a second seat is pretty comparable in size to the Compact.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    I think that’s one I bookmarked to show DH. Does the second seat sit in the basket? I was looking in the bubs and grubs website and they had a picture of a pram where the second seat sat in front, but it wasn’t a link to anything so I don’t know if I’m after a Unicorn pram
    I think the Baby Jogger City Select has the second seat on the front

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is the vista. I found it easy to get to the basket with 2 capsules on. IMG_0240.jpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (19-12-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    2.5 years between my 2 DD’s. I feel like I’ve gone through so many prams trying to find “the one”.

Hated the city select. Far too heavy with toddler in front and felt like I was pushing a bus. I had a city elite for DD1 wanted to add a skateboard for shopping centres ect- dd couldn’t sit because of the handle bar position and I couldn’t stride properly. Had a bugaboo cam with skateboard, shocking wheels but skateboard was good.

So now I have a bugaboo fox with a skateboard and it’s perfect. Normal stride, and dd loves the skateboard. Great for shopping and zoo trips. But I also have a Citi mini GT for walks and long days.

If you’ve got a 3 year gap I’d get a pram with a skateboard and if you like long walks get a different pram just for that go for a side by side double.

I’ve only purchased one brand new, save some cash on look for a good second hand one after testing them at baby bunting to see what you like.

Happy to help more if you need.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashie For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (19-12-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @atomicmama that is a good point too. We wouldn’t be keeping the Strider though, we’d be selling it as we don’t have the room to keep that as well. I also have the option of using the ergo or another carrier for bub at times too, so definitely after something that can be just a single pram if need be. Even a pram with a skateboard attachment could be a good alternative. It’s hard to know what DD will be like in 6-7 months time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have the redsbaby jive with the idea we could use a second seat later with baby no.2 - as a single seat the pram is great, it's really light and easy to move. There is a redsbaby buy swap and sell facebook page where there is lots of discussion about how the double works. Some people really like it, but you do lose the basket when it is converted to a double and the bassinet/capsule does have to be at the top. Toddlers seem to either love or hate being in the bottom. There is a skateboard attachment too that people use for the jive.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FayBelle For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (19-12-2019)