+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to choose the right primary school

Hi ladies

So mid next year, we need to choose a school for our DD to attend.

Now, im a bit clueless with schools and wanted to get some advice with those who have been there before.

We have the choice of 2 public schools. (Both not within our zone, however if DD attends the local community kindy, she will automatically get a placement for pre primary)

We would be happy we either, however one of them has a specialty music, drama and performing arts program and the other is more nature based and encourages children to share the spotlight rather than rewarding those who stand out.

Our DD seems to be showing a huge interest in signing, dancing and performing. As im sure most toddlers do, however i really believe she loves it more than most.

Now, im not keen on pushing her into anything at all, i want to try and encourage her to try anything she wants and let the natural love evolve.

What do you see Primary school as?

- more of a place to shape their friendship bases and learn all of the basic literacy and numeracy skills

- an opportunity to expose them to as many different interests as possible to find where they fit and to find what they love doing?

Sorry for the ramble, i hope all of that makes sense.

Thanks everyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMummaButterfly View Post
    What do you see Primary school as?

- more of a place to shape their friendship bases and learn all of the basic literacy and numeracy skills

- an opportunity to expose them to as many different interests as possible to find where they fit and to find what they love doing?
    Back when we were at school, I would say #1 was the more likely outcome, but school has changed a lot since. Genuine friendships are difficult to form (especially in the age of social media), and school has become so intense with all the stresses regarding standardised testing.

I would put her in the school that has specialty music, drama and preforming arts. Not only because it will further her opportunity in something she is naturally inclined toward, but also because she will have a better chance (imo) of finding and developing a friendship based on mutual interests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree with both points so I chose DS primary on the style of learning plus great music/sport/drama opportunities they offered - the school with the dancing ect she will still form great friendships and hopefully still get a great education , can you do a tour or ask other parents with kids that go there if they are happy with the other aspects of the school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would choose the closest one 🤪 My children go to the local school and they are playing as soon as they get home with all the neighbourhood kids. My son rides his bike to and from school with his friends and my girls walk or catch the bus with the 2 kids who live across the road. It’s so awesome! In all seriousness though, I think literacy and numeracy is foundation for everything. I would be more inclined to go with the nature one because I think that’s hugely important these days given kids are generally not as free range as we were. I also think it’s important to do activities independent of school so they can have more than just school friends. Children can do drama/arts/music elsewhere.

Having said that, my son does music lessons at school but his tutorial is during school hours and he has one hour band practice one morning a week. It’s so cheap and convenient and I’m not sure I’d put him in if he didn’t go to his current school...but...he does touch football, little athletics and rugby league so he’s got friends from those sports that are not from school.

Not sure how it is where you are but in NSW there is a major crackdown on out of area enrolments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice really but something that could be helpful if it’s possible, choose the one her friends go to. Only if it’s suitable of course and she has made some nice ones.
    It does help to have a friendly face when starting out even if they aren’t in the same class.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you haven’t already, I’d go there and ask for a tour/visit and see what your gut reaction is.

From a teacher’s point of view, I’d choose the school that suits your child the most. And more and more schools are including nature based play in their playground designs. Play- based learning in the early years is important for children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All great suggestions here ladies. Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond