+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you feel like the Christmas "Santa" thing is changing? (trigger warning)

deleted
    Last edited by Mummamania; 02-01-2020 at 18:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never understood the whole issue regarding santa not getting the credit. When your kids are older, they're going to know that it wasn't santa who gave them the bike, and that it was really mum and dad. Unless of course it is to avoid the disparity that will come with the 'what did santa give you?' conversation on school grounds.

I see the concept of santa changing, but in our house, everything that is under the tree comes from santa. Most people balk when I say this, but that's how I like it. We don't do the naughty or nice thing throughout the year.
    Last edited by MissTwiggley; 11-12-2019 at 10:23.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissTwiggley For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (11-12-2019),Mummamania (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I definitely think it’s changing. I see with my own kids, the “magic” of Xmas isn’t the same as it was when I was growing up. It makes me a bit sad really. My 2 oldest know the truth (they came to the conclusion on their own), but play along for the little ones. I don’t have an issue with parents not teaching their kids about Santa, but don’t let them ruin it for those who do! Kids grow up so fast these days, it’s nice to keep that little bit of innocence and magic alive as long as possible. There’s a post on fb that does the rounds every year, about how parents shouldn’t tell their kids all the big expensive things are from Santa because it makes other kids feel ****. It annoys me- stuff like that was never an issue when I was growing up, why does it need to be made into an issue now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    Kids grow up so fast these days, it’s nice to keep that little bit of innocence and magic alive as long as possible.
    I agree. Parenthood has become a competition for how soon your child can become more 'adult-like'. Letting your child believe in magic and fairy tales doesn't mean they won't grow up to be enlightened adults or that they're growing in ignorance. It's called childhood for a reason. Plenty of time in adulthood to be woke.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MissTwiggley For This Useful Post:

Kalina (11-12-2019),Mod-Uniquey (11-12-2019),PomPoms (12-12-2019),Mummamania (11-12-2019),SheWarrior (11-12-2019),SuperGranny (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I agree it’s changing.

I loved Santa and Christmas as a kid. It was magical. Though I found out he wasn’t real at about 7, I still have fond memories of all the excitement.

However, reflecting as an adult... I feel I would have been far more appreciative as a kid if more presents came from our parents rather than Santa. We struggled as a young family financially, yet my siblings and I received everything on our wish list from Santa. If we’d known our parents had worked so hard to fulfil our list, we would have been far more grateful. I can understand the idea of one gift from Santa these days to be honest.

We took DD for Santa pics as a baby, however every year after she’s expressed she’s uncomfortable around Santa and this year has told us flat out she doesn’t want to meet him or have her picture taken. To me now, telling her this man she’s so uncomfortable with is coming into the house and leaving her presents doesn’t sit right for us. So we’re just avoiding it while she’s only 3.5. Perhaps next year Santa might look different in our house in regards to bringing presents to her. We still read books about him and keep the excitement there... we just leave out the part about him coming to our house.

I think it’s personal to everyone how little or large their involvement with Santa is. And so long as kids don’t ruin it for the believers, I’m all for everyone doing “Santa” how they please.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TandR For This Useful Post:

BettyV (12-12-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Last edited by Kalina; 11-12-2019 at 10:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    I definitely think it’s changing. I see with my own kids, the “magic” of Xmas isn’t the same as it was when I was growing up. It makes me a bit sad really. My 2 oldest know the truth (they came to the conclusion on their own), but play along for the little ones. I don’t have an issue with parents not teaching their kids about Santa, but don’t let them ruin it for those who do! Kids grow up so fast these days, it’s nice to keep that little bit of innocence and magic alive as long as possible. There’s a post on fb that does the rounds every year, about how parents shouldn’t tell their kids all the big expensive things are from Santa because it makes other kids feel ****. It annoys me- stuff like that was never an issue when I was growing up, why does it need to be made into an issue now?
    I guess I kind of get it. In children's eyes Santa is meant to be independent of family, fair and rewarding good behaviour. What does a kid think when they know they've been just as well behaved as the next kid but Santa gave them less?

Kind of reminds me of years ago seeing children in a third world country wearing World Vision t-shirts which said "Jesus loves me" across the back. I wondered whether the message to non-sponsored children was that Jesus didn't love them.

Not saying who should worry about this when giving their kids Santa presents, just that it makes sense.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ********** View Post
    Lately, I feel like the Santa story I grew up with is kind of changing.

For example, these days I'm finding a lot of parents I talk to give ONE present from Santa and any other presents are from Parents, so that parents, not Santa get the thank yous and the credit.

Nobody can sit on Santa's knee anymore, like Santa could be a paedo.

Some parents seem to not do Santa at all, and 5 year olds who know that actual Santa isnt real, and have lovely little darlings who like to announce to kids at school just that.

My kids go to a christian independent school and come home bombarded with Santa is not real and Christmas has nothing to do with presents and it is just Jesus' birthday.
    My usual response is that Saint Nicholas was indeed a real person who gave presents to poor children at Christmas and that even Jesus got Gold Frankincense and Myrrh.

And yet sometimes, instead of keeping the magic of Christmas and flying reindeer and Santa alive, it kind of feels like I'm just lying to my children now. It's almost like Santa is dying!

I post this because my 10 year old came home yesterday and said, "That's it, I dont believe in Santa anymore, and apparently it was the classroom Elf on the Shelf doing stupid things that he feels was the straw that broke the camels back!" (Kind of Ironic that they dont really do Santa, and yet they are fine with a possessed doll!!")

How do you feel about Christmas and Santa, do you think society is changing?
    I'm going to start off with the fact that I love Christmas and it's magic, and we are not in any way shape or form religious.

So.... we do the big Santa thing. Santa to us is magical, he lives in the north pole, he has reindeer and elves, and the kids can ask him for whatever they want, with a list, and he will choose something from that for them. Depending on what...maybe 2 or 3 things.....Santa can get the things mummy and daddy can't (or won't on a day to day basis) e.g. my 8yo is obsessed with mecard. He's wanted this big spider thing that goes with them. So, 1: mecard are no longer sold in store, certainly not locally to us anyway, 2, when I priced it earlier I the year, it was $80+delivery... that's a lol much for a toy imo, so I told him it was too much but if he really wants it he can ask santa.....this was back in March! He's remembered, and asked Santa. I found it on Amazon recently for $43, delivered. So, Santa is bringing it...

I know we purchased it, I don't need the credit, and later on when they are older, maybe not until they are parents themselves though, they will look back and appreciate all we've done. I don't mind waiting for actual, meaningful gratitude all the while creating a magical time for my kids.

I understand the arguments for doing it differently, but why should we HAVE to celebrate something the way that someone else dictates? We don't HAVE to have a religion, nor do we expect every person to follow the same one...so why can't we choose to believe, or not, in Santa the same way, and just do as we do??

Side note, semi relevant.....My 8yo goes to a public school with no religious teachings. As I said we are not religious... I've been quite offended by the fact that he keeps coming home insisting that god did this and God does that, God controls absolutely everyone and everything and when anything bad happened, even accidents, he would blame and even get angry at God....
    I've counteracted it the best way I know, (honestly it made me very uneasy) as I knew the message he had received from the friend wasn't in line with what the religion actually teaches, with "well, your friend xxxx and family believe in God and xxx xxx.... but some people think the world was created by a huge explosion in space, and others believe there's lots of different gods all responsible for their own thing, like the god of water, God of love, etc...

I just think if their kid can all but brainwash mine with inaccurate beliefs and representation of their religion, why can't we believe in Santa?? You do you. We will do us.

Edited to add: we don't do the naughty or nice (nor does our elf on the shelf report back about if they've been good. He does report back... but on how they are celebrating and just stories of fun things they do) it's all just fun and magic in our house.
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 11-12-2019 at 10:59.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (11-12-2019),Mashie (11-12-2019),SheWarrior (11-12-2019),wobbleyhorse (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I overheard DD1 (6) talking to her friend about their respective letters to Santa - they told each other what they had "ordered" 🙄

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

Mummamania (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
    I'm going to start off with the fact that I love Christmas and it's magic, and we are not in any way shape or form religious.

So.... we do the big Santa thing. Santa to us is magical, he lives in the north pole, he has reindeer and elves, and the kids can ask him for whatever they want, with a list, and he will choose something from that for them. Depending on what...maybe 2 or 3 things.....Santa can get the things mummy and daddy can't (or won't on a day to day basis) e.g. my 8yo is obsessed with mecard. He's wanted this big spider thing that goes with them. So, 1: mecard are no longer sold in store, certainly not locally to us anyway, 2, when I priced it earlier I the year, it was $80+delivery... that's a lol much for a toy imo, so I told him it was too much but if he really wants it he can ask santa.....this was back in March! He's remembered, and asked Santa. I found it on Amazon recently for $43, delivered. So, Santa is bringing it...

I know we purchased it, I don't need the credit, and later on when they are older, maybe not until they are parents themselves though, they will look back and appreciate all we've done. I don't mind waiting for actual, meaningful gratitude all the while creating a magical time for my kids.

I understand the arguments for doing it differently, but why should we HAVE to celebrate something the way that someone else dictates? We don't HAVE to have a religion, nor do we expect every person to follow the same one...so why can't we choose to believe, or not, in Santa the same way, and just do as we do??

Side note, semi relevant.....My 8yo goes to a public school with no religious teachings. As I said we are not religious... I've been quite offended by the fact that he keeps coming home insisting that god did this and God does that, God controls absolutely everyone and everything and when anything bad happened, even accidents, he would blame and even get angry at God....
    I've counteracted it the best way I know, (honestly it made me very uneasy as I knew the message he had received from the friend wasn't in line with what the religion actually teaches) with "well, your friend xxxx and family believe in God and xxx xxx.... but some people think the world was created by a huge explosion in space, and others believe there's lots of different gods all responsible for their own thing, like the god of water, God of love, etc...

I just think if their kid can all but brainwash mine with inaccurate beliefs, why can't we believe in Santa??
    This is us too re presents/Santa. Obviously our older 2 know it’s us but it’s one time of the year they get something they normally wouldn’t be able to. And like you, one day they will all know it was us and maybe appreciate it all a little more.

I suppose too, we don’t make a huge deal about Santa bringing stuff- or presents in general. We keep the magic of it all but we focus more on the time we spend with family over those few days. Our kids don’t even rush to the tree when they wake up- we wait until everyone is up, have a special breakfast and slowly make our way to the tree. I think there can be that balance of the magic and excitement of santa and what’s under the tree but also focus on what is really important (and that may look different for everyone- for some it might be spending time with family, for others it might be spending time away from family, going on holiday etc). For some it might be that they focus on presents. I don’t think people should be shamed or made to feel bad because of how they choose to celebrate, or not celebrate. But yeah, don’t spoil it for others who feel different.