+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default In utero hiccups

Hi all

I'm 33 weeks tomorrow with our first baby and at least once a day bubs gets hiccups, I've always thought it is so cute and never been concerned but the last few days it's more than once a day and Dr Google has told me multiple times a day after 32 weeks can be bad and signal a cord problem.
    I am unable to call my OB until tomorrow so thought I'd ask for your experiences.
    I had a scan on Thursday but the report hasn't gone to our OB yet as he doesn't work Friday's but from what the sonographer said, seems the blood flow was all OK etc.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty sure it’s quite normal. My first had hiccups all the time but she’s a healthy 2.5 year old now.

If you’re ever worried about anything go to the hospital for a check up. They’ll be able to get your scan results and put your mind at ease. Your ob should also have after hours contact details. You pay them to care for your pregnancy not just during their business hours so you should be able to contact them too.

Stay off Dr Google too, always sends you into a frenzy and usually over nothing. x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashie For This Useful Post:

Simyt (24-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mine used to get hiccups all the time. No issues at all.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

Simyt (24-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hiccups are normal. As a midwife of 9 years I’ve never heard that hiccups can signify a cord issue. Obviously I don’t know everything and I’m always learning new things, BUT something like this would surely be something we would have been taught given the amount of women who ask is on a daily basis about hiccups 🤷‍♀️ Response is always its normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ok I’ve done a bit of googling myself and safe to say the information is not that definite as hiccups being directly related to cord issues. It seems almost anecdotal at best.

Cord prolapse will not usually occur unless your waters have broken and cervix is dilating - simply because the bag of membranes keeps the cord inside the uterus.

Cord accidents were only found to be the cause of death in 1/10 stillbirths from either a true knot in the cord (which is rare) or the cord around baby’s neck/body. It is definitely more common to see loops of cord around baby, but usually they are not tight enough to cause too many issues during pregnancy. In labour we would see more of an issue from this as baby comes down the birth canal so the cord gets tighter.

I would be looking at baby’s movements in general. They will give you a much better view of baby’s wellbeing in-utero. Is baby moving normally? If so, then you should be reassured by that. If there are any concerns about baby’s movements, then definitely get checked out the moment you start thinking they are reduced/absent. If you are still worried about the hiccups, by all means have a chat to your obstetrician. Alternatively you should have a 24hr contact number for the hospital where you can get checked out. You can always as for a CTG to monitor baby’s heart rate. While it will only give you a snapshot at that point in time, if there is truly any concerns with compression of the cord then it will be reflected in the heart rate pattern. If dopplers on the cord blood flow though appeared normal on scan, then this should be reassuring too. I can almost guarantee that if there were issues with the blood flow to/from the placenta that you would not be left to wait it out for 3-4 days before being told. While a sonographer can’t tell you much when it comes to what they see on scan, they would have a doctor there who can counsel you on the findings before referring you back to your obstetrician/your hospital for more follow up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

Kalina (24-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone and @MLadyEm I really appreciate all the effort you put into your comments, thank you.
    All of the comments from the scan seemed normal and bubs is moving around so I guess it's all good. Bubs seems even more active the last few days so I presume the more active the better?
    I guess nothing will shake this fear until bubs is here....