+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Importing donor sperm from UK to NSW

Help!
    We have decided to relocate back to Sydney with our 4 month old who was conceived via IVF using donor sperm and I’m absolutely horrified to discover that we MAY have issues with importing left over donor sperm into Australia. This REALLY throws a spanner in the works as we plan to do another round of IVF next year so that we can give our little girl a sibling.

My question is, has anyone out there successfully imported their UK DONOR sperm into NSW before? Or other states? I’ve reached out to a handful of clinics in Sydney with no success. I’m starting to worry a little here. Please can someone help??

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lex789 For This Useful Post:

Am33 (21-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice but I hope it works out for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I may be wrong, but if it’s the same as donor eggs, if it’s an anonymous donation then you maybe out of luck, if it’s a known donation/ ID release, then it could be possible.
    Last edited by stacey10; 22-11-2019 at 03:25.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stacey10 For This Useful Post:

Kalina (21-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stacey10 View Post
    I may be wrong, but if it’s the same as donor eggs, if it’s an anonymous donation then you maybe out of luck, if it’s a known donation then it could be possible.
    Yes. I suspect this is the answer.

Is it a known donor, or a donor who has agreed to identity release when the child is 18?

If it was a completely anon donor, i doubt you'll be able to use it through a clinic in Australia.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Kalina (21-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you do a cycle in the UK and bring back embryos instead?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't looked too deeply in to it but I'm pretty sure it has to comply with local laws - so no anonymous donors, and embryos can only be transported here if they're created with ID release donors. Transport itself is I think in the order or 5 or 6 K. Correct me if I'm wrong, I only looked into this briefly so not too confident in what I'm saying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it’s left over donor sperm (same you used before) in your name, you may be able to still access it but need to do the treatment in the UK, rather than importing into Australia. Speak with one of the clinics here and see what they say. Monash IVF works with overseas clinics in donor cases, so see what they say.

Last i looked into bringing my donor fertilised eggs - ie embryo - into Aus, it was illegal and may be perceived as ‘child trafficking’.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Only clinics can import sperm or embryos into Australia and as you have discovered they are very reluctant to do so as they carry the responsibility of ensuring it meets all local regulations. The usual sticking points are:

- Must be ID release - assuming it is since it’s in the UK? And must meet the Australian rules around ID release. I suspect UK sperm would but some open donor Danish sperm for example doesn’t.

- Donor must have done counselling with an ANZICA counsellor - that would mean contacting donor via your UK clinic or sperm bank to arrange counselling through an Australian clinic

- For NSW the donor has a 5 family limit worldwide - this is the real sticking point as it’s usually impossible for the clinic to verify this requirement will be met. It’s out of their control. Other states have different rules that vary between 5-10 families and also vary on how strictly they enforce this being ‘worldwide v in Australia’- you May have more luck with ACT or QLD.

Note: it’s the same rules for embryos unfortunately so it’s really a matter of can you get the sperm over here or freeze embryos now in U.K. so at least you only have to travel back for transfers. Much easier than travelling for stim cycle too.

Also just be aware if you do get a clinic in Australia to import the sperm it will be pretty hard/impossible to transfer between clinics too (because of the 3rd point above).

Best of luck working through it!

R