+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Epidural experience

Looking for people’s epidural experience when epi has been given before induction

I’ve heard some anecdotal stuff like excessive wind, bowel incontenance, low blood pressure

I think a catheter is used ? Does it hurt ? Can u feel it? How long does it stay in for

What did u experience that you think related directly to having an epidural

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Didn’t think you could have an epidural before you even got induced? First I’ve heard of it. Catheter didn’t hurt just relax and take a deep breath I had someone holding my hand for support as I was anticipating the worst. I got stomach cramps shortly after like period pains but they give you medication before bedtime and the cramps completely went away. Can’t help with epidural as when it was about to go in (in active labour) I started pushing baby out so I never got it in the end. Induction process is nothing you won’t need epi for it!!

Oh and I couldn’t really feel it once in and I got it in for about 12 hours
    Last edited by MuMtORiLeYandLeO; 11-11-2019 at 07:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ummi View Post
    Looking for people’s epidural experience when epi has been given before induction

I’ve heard some anecdotal stuff like excessive wind, bowel incontenance, low blood pressure

I think a catheter is used ? Does it hurt ? Can u feel it? How long does it stay in for

What did u experience that you think related directly to having an epidural
    Epidurals given before an induction are more likely to have issues with not working etc. This is simply because if you have it before you’re getting contractions/pain etc it then becomes difficult for the anaesthetist to assess its effectiveness, check that it’s in properly and working etc. You’re much better waiting until you get some painful contractions for this reason.

Excessive wind/bowel incontinence unlikely. I’ve not once seen or heard of this happening. Some people do poo when having a baby, but that’s not from the epi. That’s from a baby’s head pushing on the bowel as it comes through the v.agina.

A catheter is used because you lose the sensation to feel when you need to pee. It shouldn’t hurt and you shouldn’t really feel it because of the epidural. As the epidural wears off some people feel a bit of irritation like they need to Pee, but by then the catheter is usually due to be coming out anyway.

Catheter usually stays in for around 6 hours after epidural is removed to allow time for all the nerves to “work” again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I had a epidural put in just before I got induced. My ob thought this was the best way for me to birth at the time because I was 36 weeks also dd was IGUR we didnt know how I would go as It was my 1st and I would most likely end up with a c section. However that wasnt the case I birthed really well and I loved it. dd came out tiny at 2.2kg or 4 ponds 8! no special care so all went well for me. If you are told to go this way I would do it! Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an epidural before an induction, but it was a LONG time ago, in 1997. I still remember it because it was the most fabulous birth I've ever had. Mind, that was in the private system, with a private obstetrician at a private hospital called Ashford in Adelaide and it cost me a fortune out of pocket.
    There were absolutely no issues at all. Had the epidural, then was induced by drip, had the baby within 4 hours. Felt incredible afterwards like I hadnt even had a baby. No pain. Quite frankly, pretty much how birth would be if men did it.

HOWEVER...
    I very quickly realised that THIS experience is very much the exception rather than the rule. My subsequent children have been through the public system in Victoria, and not only have I never been given the option of an epidural before an induction, I was actually laughed at just at the mere suggestion of it, I've NEVER managed to have even been given the option OF an epidural AT ALL! Seems if you can pay a fortune out of pocket for it then the rules are different Gee what a shock. Not.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel3072 For This Useful Post:

Thecrazycatlady (12-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suggested an epidural before induction and I was just ignored, I can understand wanting it already there ready to go just before getting the drip or just after. But you certainly wouldn’t need it for the catheter or anything like that. Anyway, I’m glad it’s all over for me but getting induced was my best birth. It happened so quickly after getting the drip that having the epi ready to go would’ve been lovely but I was ignored from the start about wanting drugs so I’m not surprised I had to give birth drug free yet again. Not fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an epidural 4 hours into an induced labour.

I didn't find it painful, even though they needed three attempts to get it right since I couldn't sit upright. It was very tolerable.

No incontinence or catheter required - I did pass wind (it took me a few seconds to realise it was me). Your midwife hss experienced much worse so if all that happens is a fart, they'd be pretty happy lol

My blood pressure did drop from the epidural - intervention was required to get it back up. I felt no different at the time but they did call a code blue. I should mention my blood pressure is low normally.

No ongoing pain or issues even though I have herniated discs, spinal stenosis etc. Any issues are pre-existing and exacerbated by pregnancy, not the epidural.

Pushing is harder as expected because your contractions are dulled - your midwife will guide you. I think it worked to my benefit since I didn't push at the wrong time. Regular vaginal birth, minimal first degree tear (no stitches).

Would I do it again? Without a doubt. I found induced labour very painful once the drip went it - the epi allowed me to calm down and do what i had to do.

Thanks
    Reviews

I was induced and had the epi four hours in due to extreme back labour. I found the following:
    - it slowed down contractions so they had to add the drip.
    - numbness was stronger on one side than the other. Had to literally pick up my left leg with my hands to move it some people don’t cope well with the lack of the control but I just found it a bit funny!

Otherwise I have no complaints. It turned a horrible frightening painful experience into one that went smoothly and positively.

ETA I did have a catheter which I was really scared of but it wasn’t so bad even when being removed.