+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dummy Q

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    I still think my DD is cute.
    Sorry didn’t mean to offend anyone, it’s just my opinion I’m sure your DD is super cute. I personally dislike seeing a toddler with a dummy in their mouth 24/7. I’ve seen what it can do to teeth and speech long term. Thankfully both my DD’s have never really taken to them so it’s not been an issue for us.

Sorry to derail the thread op.

Op, how old is your LO? I’ve read that as long as you get rid of it before sleep cycles kick in you’re normally ok. Usually around 8 weeks for day sleep cycles and 16 weeks for night cycles..... that obviously only applies if you’re using it as a sleep aid not in between naps. Our paed also said not to use it constantly in between naps so they start to develop babbling ect.
    Last edited by Mashie; 09-11-2019 at 21:58.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashie For This Useful Post:

Kalina (09-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    Keep them there. Once teething it could come in handy.
    But she is likely not going to take it.

Dummies look cute I’ll agree but they are the devil.

They give short term peace with long term pain weaning off. Not all babies but all of mine!

My 5th would not take a dummy. Once he was 5 weeks I give up trying. There were many many times I wish he had taken it but in the end it was one less thing to give up so much easier.
    That's like a friend of mine who really wanted her baby to take a dummy, but the baby was completely disinterested and would just spit it out. My friend got very good at taking photos on the split second that the dummy stayed in the baby's mouth, so her photo album doesn't really tell the tale.

I think my bubby might eventually suck her thumb instead - she hasn't put the thumb in yet, but soothes by sucking/gnawing on the side of her thumb. At night I think she gnaws on the little flap covering the zipper of her sleeping bag. I think I'll fashion a little comforter out of a spare sleeping bag once she starts sleeping with her arms out at every sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Ds1 had one for 3 months then spat it out never again

Ds2 never he has a blankie that i detest and can’t sleep without it. It was his comfort when he was always sick

Dd never I’ve tried to her self settle with it but no milk comes out of it so she spat. It out. It’s boob or nothing
    Yeah my dd1 who's 6 can't sleep without the soft toy she's had since 6 months. It's looking pretty ragged these days but to her it's the most beautiful thing in the world. They get so attached, it really is love.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie View Post
    Sorry didn’t mean to offend anyone, it’s just my opinion I’m sure your DD is super cute. I personally dislike seeing a toddler with a dummy in their mouth 24/7. I’ve seen what it can do to teeth and speech long term. Thankfully both my DD’s have never really taken to them so it’s not been an issue for us.

Sorry to derail the thread op.

Op, how old is your LO? I’ve read that as long as you get rid of it before sleep cycles kick in you’re normally ok. Usually around 8 weeks for day sleep cycles and 16 weeks for night cycles..... that obviously only applies if you’re using it as a sleep aid not in between naps. Our paed also said not to use it constantly in between naps so they start to develop babbling ect.
    She's 15 weeks, so I guess another reason not to start now...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thumb-sucking can cause the same dental issues can't it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thumb sucking is bad! It can be worse than a dummy from what I know.
    It’s just my opinion and a bit of anecdotal evidence that short term dummy use doesn’t have to cause dental problems.
    My son picked up a dummy I had in his toy box I don’t remember why, at 15 mths. He had that thing in his mouth almost 24/7 til he was 5. He has asd that’s why.
    His teeth are totally fine.

It’s best not to have one but if I had to choose dummy or thumb I’m choosing dummy! But try redirect that now to something else. A lovey? Not a dummy!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Kalina (09-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both of my children had/have them. I wish they didn't. Dummies definitely had their place, but it's hard to part them from them, because they got so attached.

I'm interested to hear people think dummies look cute. In my view, i don't think they're cute at all, and i wish my kids didn't latch onto dummies in the way they did.

OP, if your bub is not taking to one, i definately wouldn't push them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Kalina (09-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dummy Q

Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    Thumb-sucking can cause the same dental issues can't it?
    Dd3 and dd5 (7 and 3) are thumb suckers. Dd3 more so, dd5 will only do it when she is super tired (along with twirling her finger in her pillowcase). Dd3 has terrible teeth due to it and dd5 is not far behind. It affects her speech and she will probably require significant dental work as she gets older. IMG_7734.jpgIMG_2449.jpg

ETA- this is probably a better photo of just how pushed out her top teeth areIMG_2446.jpg
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 09-11-2019 at 22:52.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Kalina (11-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We introduced a dummy probably around 9 ish week with our first..we were tired/lazy but as my son has grown older the obsession is insane! I’ve always been strict with it only being fit bedtime and definitely not out in public or when he’s talking. 2.5 now and it’s hard to see how this ending (even though I know it will)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

Kalina (10-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    Yeah my dd1 who's 6 can't sleep without the soft toy she's had since 6 months. It's looking pretty ragged these days but to her it's the most beautiful thing in the world. They get so attached, it really is love.
    Ds2 is 3 now it’s not ragged as I do wash it every 2nd day and we have 2 of them but they aren’t the same. There used to be 4 but o threw one out when we where is qld and said it stayed up there for when we go next October

16. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Kalina (11-11-2019)