+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Ds2 is 3 now it’s not ragged as I do wash it every 2nd day and we have 2 of them but they aren’t the same. There used to be 4 but o threw one out when we where is qld and said it stayed up there for when we go next October
    I have to wash dd1's secretly. And I only do it when absolutely necessary, to try and preserve it for as long as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=SheWarrior;8927822]Dd3 and dd5 (7 and 3) are thumb suckers. Dd3 more so, dd5 will only do it when she is super tired (along with twirling her finger in her pillowcase). Dd3 has terrible teeth due to it and dd5 is not far behind. It affects her speech and she will probably require significant dental work as she gets older.

ETA- this is probably a better photo of just how pushed out her top teeth are.

I guess I'll wait and see whether she does start sucking her thumb and take it from there. My niece sucked her thumb for a very long time, they couldn't wean her off it no matter what.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    [QUOTE=Kalina;8927962]
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    Dd3 and dd5 (7 and 3) are thumb suckers. Dd3 more so, dd5 will only do it when she is super tired (along with twirling her finger in her pillowcase). Dd3 has terrible teeth due to it and dd5 is not far behind. It affects her speech and she will probably require significant dental work as she gets older.

ETA- this is probably a better photo of just how pushed out her top teeth are.

I guess I'll wait and see whether she does start sucking her thumb and take it from there. My niece sucked her thumb for a very long time, they couldn't wean her off it no matter what.
    Dd3 was a thumb sucker from about 2-3 months old. Dd5 didn’t start until she was older- maybe a year or so? Dd3 has gotten worse as she gets older- she will do it while sitting on the couch watching a movie or any time she isn’t using her hands. I don’t know if she does it at school, it’s certainly never been mentioned by any of her teachers which leads me to think she probably doesn’t. But we haven’t done anything to stop it either. One of those things we hoped she grew out of, and on the list of things to worry about it’s not exactly been a priority but I know it probably should be, especially now her adult teeth are starting to come in.

My best friend sucked her thumb until she was 17/18, and even now in her mid 30s she still catches herself doing it occasionally. Her daughter is 14 and is a thumb sucker as well and as a result her teeth are shocking. My friend has spent in the thousands seeing dentists and orthodontists, tried everything they’ve suggested so far to no avail. Their next (and possibly final) option is major dental work and braces. The downside to that is, it doesn’t actually fix the issue of her sucking her thumb, it only fixes the damage already done and if she continued, it would likely be for nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=SheWarrior;8927976]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post

Dd3 was a thumb sucker from about 2-3 months old. Dd5 didn’t start until she was older- maybe a year or so? Dd3 has gotten worse as she gets older- she will do it while sitting on the couch watching a movie or any time she isn’t using her hands. I don’t know if she does it at school, it’s certainly never been mentioned by any of her teachers which leads me to think she probably doesn’t. But we haven’t done anything to stop it either. One of those things we hoped she grew out of, and on the list of things to worry about it’s not exactly been a priority but I know it probably should be, especially now her adult teeth are starting to come in.

My best friend sucked her thumb until she was 17/18, and even now in her mid 30s she still catches herself doing it occasionally. Her daughter is 14 and is a thumb sucker as well and as a result her teeth are shocking. My friend has spent in the thousands seeing dentists and orthodontists, tried everything they’ve suggested so far to no avail. Their next (and possibly final) option is major dental work and braces. The downside to that is, it doesn’t actually fix the issue of her sucking her thumb, it only fixes the damage already done and if she continued, it would likely be for nothing.
    That's fairly intense, I didn't know it could persist well into the teens. My plan is to offer dd2 a comfort toy or similar as soon as I feel it's safe to have something in the cot with her. A friend of mine used some kind of thumb contraption with her daughter at about 2 or 3 years old. Can't remember exactly how it worked but basically made it impossible to suck the thumb in her sleep.