+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dummy Q

Please forgive the potential ridiculousness of this question.

For those who've used dummies.....Can you give baby a dummy from time to time during the day only, or is it all or nothing? If they take a dummy sometimes will it become necessary all the time, at night and for naps?

I'm toying with the idea, mostly because I think dummies are super cute - but dd2 settles well without one and can get herself back to sleep (currently anyway, I'm well aware suddenly baby sleep can change), so I don't want to create a sleep prop for the sake of giving her a dummy from time to time during the day just because I think they're cute. But they are cute.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If the only reason you want to give her one is the cuteness, I wouldn’t do it.

All 6 of mine had dummies. All 5 girls would only take them if they were tired, and wouldn’t wake up looking for it either. They all self weaned completely by about 4-6 months. Ds has a dummy- he had it almost constantly for the first few weeks-month (born prem and they used it in SCN to develop his suck reflex). Once he came home he used it less and less frequently and now (almost 6 months old) he only has it when tired. Once he’s asleep it falls out or he takes it out while playing and falls asleep on his own. Same as the girls, he never wakes up looking for it and isn’t dependant on it (he can and does fall asleep without it).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Kalina (09-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don’t do it!

I have a two year old who is hugely attached to her dummy. If I could have survived her infancy without giving her one, I absolutely would have.

Trying to take it off her is like ...

IMG_7422.jpg

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

Kalina (09-11-2019),Thecrazycatlady (09-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    If the only reason you want to give her one is the cuteness, I wouldn’t do it.

All 6 of mine had dummies. All 5 girls would only take them if they were tired, and wouldn’t wake up looking for it either. They all self weaned completely by about 4-6 months. Ds has a dummy- he had it almost constantly for the first few weeks-month (born prem and they used it in SCN to develop his suck reflex). Once he came home he used it less and less frequently and now (almost 6 months old) he only has it when tired. Once he’s asleep it falls out or he takes it out while playing and falls asleep on his own. Same as the girls, he never wakes up looking for it and isn’t dependant on it (he can and does fall asleep without it).
    I agree, wouldn’t do it for the cuteness factor. My DD2 has bad reflux and paed suggested dummy in between feeds might help keep it all down. We use it some days but never for sleeps as she’s a brilliant sleeper without it. Now she’s getting her reflux under control we hardly use the dummy (probably been used once in the last fortnight). I think they’re definitely more hassle than they’re worth. A 3 year old sucking a dummy all day, removing it to speak or covered in a rash from the dummy is definitely not cute in my opinion.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mashie For This Useful Post:

Kalina (09-11-2019),LoveMyWay (09-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If she settles without one definitely don't do it lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveMyWay For This Useful Post:

Kalina (09-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie View Post
    I agree, wouldn’t do it for the cuteness factor. My DD2 has bad reflux and paed suggested dummy in between feeds might help keep it all down. We use it some days but never for sleeps as she’s a brilliant sleeper without it. Now she’s getting her reflux under control we hardly use the dummy (probably been used once in the last fortnight). I think they’re definitely more hassle than they’re worth. A 3 year old sucking a dummy all day, removing it to speak or covered in a rash from the dummy is definitely not cute in my opinion.
    I still think my DD is cute.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

JR03 (09-11-2019),Kalina (09-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was afraid that would be the answer lol. Thanks. I even bought a couple of dummies yesterday but I guess I shouldn't do it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    Don’t do it!

I have a two year old who is hugely attached to her dummy. If I could have survived her infancy without giving her one, I absolutely would have.

Trying to take it off her is like ...

Attachment 102231
    Yep same here! The dentist has said it needs to go because he has a cross bite and it’s making it worse, but he’s super attached. We’ve got it down to just nap time but if he finds one lying around the house, you bet it’s going straight into his mouth.

Don’t do it!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Kalina (09-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Keep them there. Once teething it could come in handy.
    But she is likely not going to take it.

Dummies look cute I’ll agree but they are the devil.

They give short term peace with long term pain weaning off. Not all babies but all of mine!

My 5th would not take a dummy. Once he was 5 weeks I give up trying. There were many many times I wish he had taken it but in the end it was one less thing to give up so much easier.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Kalina (09-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds1 had one for 3 months then spat it out never again

Ds2 never he has a blankie that i detest and can’t sleep without it. It was his comfort when he was always sick

Dd never I’ve tried to her self settle with it but no milk comes out of it so she spat. It out. It’s boob or nothing

18. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Kalina (09-11-2019)