+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    156
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    46
    Reviews
    0

    Default Westmead Fertility Centre

    Hello everyone,

    I’ve been looking into Westmead fertility centre (particularly Dr Howard Smith) and was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a proper insight of the costs and how much you were out of pocket after a cycle, whether it was an ivf or icsi cycle, and if you would recommend this clinic or specialist to someone else?


    Thank you

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ra1209 For This Useful Post:

    gorgeousgeorge (16-12-2019)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    312
    Thanks
    192
    Thanked
    175
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra1209 View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I’ve been looking into Westmead fertility centre (particularly Dr Howard Smith) and was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a proper insight of the costs and how much you were out of pocket after a cycle, whether it was an ivf or icsi cycle, and if you would recommend this clinic or specialist to someone else?


    Thank you
    I used WFC with my 2 babies (I used Ashley Fong). I couldn't fault them! First cycle was around $2000 but I got $500 back. Second cycle was about $1800 and got about $500 back. Third cycle was $1800 but didnt get anything back. The rules/prices changed after the first 2 cycles so I guess thats why. This is not including specialist appointments with Ashley Fong (probably spent about $300 OOP on those per cycle), and I had to buy the medication which was about $150 each cycle. I also have 2 frozen eggs that are being stored for free up to 2 years. After that I need to pay a yearly fee, but I dont think its much (from memory around $150/yr).

    Everyone is different though, I had to do full IVF each time. However if you are lucky enough to get some frozen embryos your first cycle, it is alot cheaper to do a transfer. From memory only around $500 OOP per transfer. From my research, WFC was the cheapest centre I could find in Sydney, and they were amazing. I fell pregnant 2 times over 3 cycles so thats pretty good odds!

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    156
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    46
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by amywillo86 View Post
    I used WFC with my 2 babies (I used Ashley Fong). I couldn't fault them! First cycle was around $2000 but I got $500 back. Second cycle was about $1800 and got about $500 back. Third cycle was $1800 but didnt get anything back. The rules/prices changed after the first 2 cycles so I guess thats why. This is not including specialist appointments with Ashley Fong (probably spent about $300 OOP on those per cycle), and I had to buy the medication which was about $150 each cycle. I also have 2 frozen eggs that are being stored for free up to 2 years. After that I need to pay a yearly fee, but I dont think its much (from memory around $150/yr).

    Everyone is different though, I had to do full IVF each time. However if you are lucky enough to get some frozen embryos your first cycle, it is alot cheaper to do a transfer. From memory only around $500 OOP per transfer. From my research, WFC was the cheapest centre I could find in Sydney, and they were amazing. I fell pregnant 2 times over 3 cycles so thats pretty good odds!
    Hey thank you for getting back to me!
    I ended up doing one cycle with them this month and unfortunately I got my BFN yesterday but we will be starting another cycle end of March hopefully

    Do you mind me asking what lead you to doing ivf? Do you think Dr Ashley Fong was experienced with your area or did she jus that’s you on a basic protocol?

    I’ve done 3 cycles so far and I also get only one blastocyst at the end but we’re assuming now it’s due to my husbands low and poor sperm

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Hi @amywillo86 thank you for your info. I’m going to have a zoom consultation with Dr Fong this Friday regarding start IVF. So glad to read some positive review about her.

    DH(39) n I (35) being trying to 18 months. ( follicle tracking, Genea blood tracking. HCG trigger, progesterone support), HSG ( December 2019) checked just tubes all good.
    I have a high AMH at 43 which makes me set in the mild PCOS.

    I’m keen to test all my autoimmune antibodies but my fertility nurse doesn’t believe the theory. Finally DH had one of the anti sperm test done after I requested for so many times.

    We live in rural area of NSW. The fertility nurse I’m seeing here is with Genea. She warned me about trying Westmead as they are using low dose hormone protocols to save the costs.

    Financially Westmead is my best option. With the IPTAS help n currently the OPC is only $1000 per cycle, compare to Genea $7500 ( including day surgery etc)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    @Ra1209. Sorry for your failed cycles.
    Are you going to do another soon?

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    156
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    46
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IVFjourney View Post
    @Ra1209. Sorry for your failed cycles.
    Are you going to do another soon?
    Hey! Have you looked into doing it with royal prince Alfred hospital? They use the same specialists and technology as genea

    We decided to take a little break as it’s been starting to take a toll on my mental health but we will be getting back into it in the next couple of months.
    We’re gonna do a cycle with rpa to test out their lab and then probably have my partner do tesa

    How is everything going for you?

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Hi @Ra1209. Good to hear from you again.

    I think a break will beneficial to you mentally n physically.

    I did look up RPAH, was happy to know that they share lab with Genea.
    Which FS are you seeing?


    The reason I’m choosing WFC for my first cycle is because RPAH is still closed according their website, although WFC is only open for step 1 ( FET).
    I might book an appointment with RPAH as well if they open before WFC.

    I’m looking forward to my appointment with Dr Fong Tmr, hopefully she is open for immunology testing.

    Hope you can find a way to relax.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    156
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    46
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IVFjourney View Post
    Hi @Ra1209. Good to hear from you again.

    I think a break will beneficial to you mentally n physically.

    I did look up RPAH, was happy to know that they share lab with Genea.
    Which FS are you seeing?


    The reason I’m choosing WFC for my first cycle is because RPAH is still closed according their website, although WFC is only open for step 1 ( FET).
    I might book an appointment with RPAH as well if they open before WFC.

    I’m looking forward to my appointment with Dr Fong Tmr, hopefully she is open for immunology testing.

    Hope you can find a way to relax.
    I’m seeing Dr Howard Smith at WFC and Dr Alison Gee at RPA

    Let me know how your appointment goes tomorrow! It’s always interesting seeing what other FS recommend

    Is this your first time going through Ivf? Do you mind me asking why you need to go through this path?

  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Hi @Ra1209

    Thanks for sharing the information
    How do you like those 2 FS?

    Sure. Will update you tmr.

    Yes. Its going to be my first IVF.

    We’ve been trying for 18 months. DH 39. Me 35. Unexplained infertility. I have mild PCOS( AMH43). Thyroid under active sometimes ( I’m on medication atm) The ttc journey has been draining me emotionally. I think I had enough. IVF is next step.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    156
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    46
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IVFjourney View Post
    Hi @Ra1209

    Thanks for sharing the information
    How do you like those 2 FS?

    Sure. Will update you tmr.

    Yes. Its going to be my first IVF.

    We’ve been trying for 18 months. DH 39. Me 35. Unexplained infertility. I have mild PCOS( AMH43). Thyroid under active sometimes ( I’m on medication atm) The ttc journey has been draining me emotionally. I think I had enough. IVF is next step.

    I’m very happy with my two FS, even though we’ve had 4 failed stim cycles dr Smith has given us a lot of hope and is almost certain one of the protocols would work for us
    Dr Alison Gee is also amazing, as soon as we explained our situation to her she knew exactly what to do with us

    We’re planning on doing another 2-3 cycles before we take a really long break from ivf
    We want to make sure we’ve done absolutely everything possible before we stop trying


    I’m so sorry you had to go through that.
    I’ve also got mild pcos and at this stage I’m very happy I do since it’s given us a lot more eggs on low dosages

    I hope everything goes well for you today!!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-07-2011, 20:27
  2. Westmead fertility centre HELP
    By Baldie's Mum in forum IVF
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-08-2009, 15:48
  3. Westmead Fertility Centre
    By baikirashero in forum IVF
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 29-07-2009, 18:08
  4. Westmead Fertility Centre
    By ~PurplePaganPrincess~ in forum IVF
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-11-2007, 18:43
  5. Anyone Used/Using Westmead Fertility Centre?
    By SpecialMumma in forum IVF
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-06-2007, 08:26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
Baby MonitorsLooking to buy a baby monitor? :: Read viewer reviews of baby monitors BEFORE you buy :: Buy at a local or online Baby ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...