+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i can’t fathom the idea of charging for time or costs. the only situation i could possibly think perhaps fair enough, is if one person/family consistently does all the work each and every year and nobody else shares the load or helps or contributes in any way. then you think well ok, it’s unfair for one party to constantly bear the brunt of all the work and costs. in a normal family situation, you’d expect the load to be rotated each year and so everyone has a go bearing the costs of food and time. it just seems so inconsistent with the holiday season to be miserly and charge family for your time and expenses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This year is going to be different for us.
    Usually we go home to my dads house with all of my siblings. We have breakfast at my grandparents, lunch at my dads that I cook then a friends for dinner.
    This year we are having Christmas with DHs family. DHs dad has terminal cancer so we want to be with him.
    We will wake up at home and do presents and I will make crepes for breakfast.
    Lunch will be at DHs parents with all of his family. I think I will be in charge of desserts.
    The afternoon will be spent around the pool while the kids all play. Dinner will be leftovers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If I was to host Christmas Day for everyone and expected to pay the entire cost, we’d be having vegemite on toast and water to drink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HearMeRoar View Post
    If I was to host Christmas Day for everyone and expected to pay the entire cost, we’d be having vegemite on toast and water to drink.
    I have no issue with sharing the cost of food, I think this is probably pretty normal. I just couldn’t imagine charging my loved ones for the time I spent cooking for them.

Having said that I love Christmas and the food but I would happily eat a vegemite sandwich with my family rather than miss it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar (10-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't "charge", but we all sit down and say ok x person will bring ABC.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar (10-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
    We don't "charge", but we all sit down and say ok x person will bring ABC.
    that’s fairly standard. i think it’s nice when everyone brings a plate as you get to enjoy each others cooking plus it eases the load on the host.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Mod-LIKE A BOSS (10-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We’ll be going to my parent’s place for Xmas, which is our standard plan every year. We had a fantastic time there last year as they have a pool and the weather was hot and sunny.

We’ll stay the night and head home early the next morning to try and beat the ridiculous Boxing Day traffic (they live an hour away from us).

We always bring booze, prawns and a salad - mum takes care of the rest (though I’m always happy to bring anything extra she requires). I also bring some food for DS as he doesn’t dine on traditional Xmas fare 🤨

Back when we were young we’d have Xmas with extended family - mum and her siblings took turns hosting and every family would bring a designated dish. No one ever asked for money for their ‘time’ though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Everyone’s Xmas plans sound so wonderful I’m completely jealous.
    Ours is always small because of little family left, all in other towns or not really in touch.
    My kids always act up without fail. So much that I have pretty much ditched our traditions for now.
    We usually just do lunch and my mother stresses out every year and complains!
    So not sure this year what we will attempt to do. She will have just moved house a month prior too and is already saying she’s not doing a thing.

Does anyone else face the prospect of a crappy Christmas? Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have all the best laid plans but inevitably something goes awry to make it tense and stressful.

My dad will sulk about something and make it uncomfortable. I will get tense. DS will be over stimulated and then out of control.

I think sometimes when your Xmas gathering is small (for us it will be 4-5) it’s harder to keep it relaxed and easy. Whereas a crowd means you can stay around those you want to.

Sister and I have agreed to time limit this year so we will be going out for lunch on Xmas day to a local winery. If DS happens to be with us he can come too. But it also makes the whole thing time limited with dad and his partner rather than a whole day thing. Sister and I think this means we will be able to keep a smile on our faces and let any rubbish wash over us knowing it will be limited to 2-3 hours

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-LIKE A BOSS For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl (10-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Christmas Day

Quote Originally Posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
    I have no issue with sharing the cost of food, I think this is probably pretty normal. I just couldn’t imagine charging my loved ones for the time I spent cooking for them.

Having said that I love Christmas and the food but I would happily eat a vegemite sandwich with my family rather than miss it.
    Exactly this.

I also like the idea of everyone bringing a plate as it can be tailored to their budget and speciality. We do all sorts of things - from having to at a restaurant, to everyone bring a plate to the host does all. Just depends on what the go is that year. This year will be a gathering with my family as my brother and his family will be here.