+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are going to stay home this Christmas and I'm thrilled. It's our first year in our home so I didn't want to be away. Both our families are far away and we went to them last year.

We do a Christmas Eve box too with new pyjamas, special Christmassy snacks, a Christmas book, a Christmas movie to watch and a new ornament to hang on the tree. Christmas Eve dinner is a tree shaped pastry pull apart that we eat while watching the movie.

Christmas morning we will have our traditional breakfast of cinnamon rolls and a big summer fruit platter, with baileys for the grown ups and candy cane milkshakes for the kids. We'll just hang around all morning with Christmas music playing non stop, maybe do a puzzle as a family. I'll have a snack table set up for constant grazing.

We'll be visiting our neighbours in the arvo for drinks/nibbles/pavlova. Then we'll probably have a small roast or BBQ for dinner dependent on the weather. We won't really be hungry!

We might go to the beach dependent on the weather, but really no solid plans for the day other than being together, eating and being merry!!

In case you can't tell I absolutely love Christmas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    can’t believe people think it’s ok to charge for food and time. it’s christmas ffs!

dh’s family is a minefield of issues. after bil’s wife behaved horribly towards me and dd at dh’s party, we won’t be seeing them over xmas. they’ve “invited” us to their xmas night event (a bbq and a kids movie after dark, wtf. knowing her it’ll be some pathetic kids movie nobody wants to see and as if a night time movie thing is catering to young kids ) but the nature of the event excludes us anyway because we can’t be hanging around late at night with dd and i doubt even ds would last the distance.

so. we will do my polish xmas eve stuff and mil will join us for that. she can then sleep over and do xmas morning with the kids. dh’s aunties have invited us to their xmas day lunch and then i’m done. it’ll be too much for dd with naps on the run etc and it’ll be me stuck with a cranky baby. i don’t want to spend the whole day running around, it’s exhausting and no fun. after xmas last year being so fraught with tension, i’d really like a low key and pleasant one this year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They are charging?? . WOW. We always divvy up the food and bring a salad or sweet etc if it's a big gathering as there can be. 20+ people, but charging?? Wouldn't even think of it!
    We have every second year as just the 4 of us. I ask the kids what they want food wise, but we usually end up with ham, chicken roll/roast, roast veg and some salad. Pavlova and trifle for dessert. Eat and lunch and leftovers for dinner.
    After lunch, we play board games, later the kids play on a blow up water thing we have, or the water slides if it's hot. If it's super hot, we put the aircon on and might watch a movie. The kids will play with their new toys/art/whatever they get and we just have a relaxing day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Omg can’t believe people would charge family!!

Last year I hosted both sides and mum bought the turkey and pudding, MIL provided drinks. I provided ham, lamb and veggies. Yeah I spent more and put a lot of effort it, but it’s family! If you can’t afford it, get people to bring stuff! Much nicer than asking for money.

I don’t know what we are doing this year. I’ve offered to host again, just because we pick up DSS mid-afternoon and that way everyone sees him. Plus MIL lives 2 hours away, my folks an hour and I don’t wanna drive, especially when we would have to leave early to get DSS. And it’s nice to get the obligation to both sides done on one day year before last we did my family on Christmas Day and in laws on Boxing Day and that was more exhausting.

DH is a bah humbug so I need to do it all to make it magical for DSS. And it’s more fun for him if there’s more people here. But I don’t know what I would feel up to doing, I’ll be around 14 weeks so just getting out of the first trimester exhaustion do I really want to host and cook for 10+ people?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have family over (My mum, bro and sil)

This year I'm doing my own take on elf on a shelf all December. I grabbed a cheap elf from the reject shop ($5) and thought it'd just be fun having him do silly stuff each night.

Xmas eve we go to the town's Xmas celebration. Santa comes, free lollies and free amusement rides for 4 hours or something on the beach.

Xmas morning we always have eggs and bacon, then open the presents under the tree. My dad sits and gives them out 1 by 1 saying "to xxx from yyy"... after that we do lunch which is hot roast meats,veg and trimmings. Dinner (If we want it ) is leftovers and salad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Christmas Day

We wake up & do presents with DD in the morning followed by breakfast. We do lunch at the in-laws, DHs two sisters & there kids come. We get there mid morning to open presents then do lunch. We prepare everything the day before as we have cold meat & salads so we don’t have to do it on the day. My mum joins us for lunch also. We have leftovers for dinner (if anyone’s hungry) then everyone heads home after that. It’s always been this way & cant see it changing anytime soon I don’t mind though cause it means no mess at my house lol
    Last edited by MissMooMumma; 09-11-2019 at 18:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Christmas is our biggest family event ! We take turns between the 3 of us ( my brother and sister and me) at hosting - this year is my year - it will be the hardest one as it’s the first Xmas without my mum, we have tons of family traditions so we all want to keep them up but it’s not going to be easy without her but, it’s my dads favourite holiday as we have always spent it all together so mum would definitely want us to try keep it fun for him and the kids

As it’s my turn my brother and his wife and 2 kids plus my dad will stay with me and then my sister will drive over early Xmas morning as we all open presents together, dad always wakes up around 6am and “pretends” to make big noises to wake everyone up as we all need to be up by the tree before any presents can be open, the kids pretend they are still sleeping while he’s stomping up the hallway banging pots and pans and turning all the tvs on (they think it’s hilarious) then we all
    Open our Santa gifts and family gifts , then I’ll do a light breakfast while the kids play with their toys, I’ll do a huge lunch ( menu in planning now!) we nap in the afternoon as dinner is a drop in time when some of our friends and family drop by, we all stay up late and just have a great time usually playing board games ect

Xmas eve Santa always calls to talk to the kids, we put out brownies and carrots and say goodbye to our elf (im in the process of working out 24 new things for him to do as it’s our 6th year and I’m really running out of ideas!) we always watch Elf the night before Xmas and the kids are in bed by 7.30 while my sister and I stay up cooking and wrapping!

Boxing Day we head down to DH parents beach house for a week to spend with his family which we love as it’s a great break for us all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We used to have a big family Christmas with early morning gift opening, ham and eggs on the bbq then playing with the kids followed by a big lunch and usually a nap with drinks in the afternoon/early evening but since my Dad died it hasn’t really been like that which is odd because my Dad wasn’t a big jolly Christmas type of person. Now we usually have a quiet Christmas with my Mum and have a simple lunch and watch Christmas movies and play games with the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Christmas Day

@Hasselhoff paying for food I could maybe be ok with but paying for their time, that’s not ok.

We rotate between my parents, sister and us for hosting duties and when it is your turn you do it all. So you get 2 years of no stress/prep/expense but then for your year you can do whatever you want/ is in your budget.

We are ‘lucky’ that other than MIL (who comes every year) our husbands families are overseas so there is never a conflict about who we see.

As for the original question here are some things we do.

Matching pjs Christmas Eve

We have food traditions (all very standard for Christmas) but do what you love, if an amazing steak on the bbq or ice cream cake it is go for it.

We always have a outdoor game, soccer, cricket or a swim in the evening.

Boxing Day is all about trifle for breakfast and watching the first test while playing with new toys.

We are hosting this year with the added excitement of DH sister and her family flying over from London. If is hectic right now so I will outsource almost everything.

I’ve already ordered meat, salads, bread, desserts all to be picked up Christmas Eve. I will just roast turkey and beef to serve cold and make some roast potatoes (Irish BIL says potato salad isn’t enough) and dad makes a pudding every year and flys home with it in his carry on luggage.

I love Christmas!
    Last edited by Mum-I-Am; 10-11-2019 at 05:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We never charge each other for our “time” because that’s just wrong. However we do all chip in for costs. I have a man who delivers the seafood to my door on Christmas Eve. There is no way that I can afford to pay for all of it plus I hardly eat seafood. So everyone gives me money for that (I also pay a share). Then someone will get the ham so someone else gets the fruit and veg. Someone will order and collect the bread. Then usually my mum, Aunty and I go to woolies together for the rest of the stuff and we share the cost equally. No one in my family are financially able to “shout” Christmas Day.

As for our plans... this year has been absolutely horrible. Mum and I have our heads in the sand about Christmas. We aren’t ready to face it yet.

We will do presents and breakfast (ham & eggs plus a fruit platter) then I think we are heading out to my cousins as he has his kids this year. I hate going anywhere on Christmas Day but now the kids are a bit older I grudgingly go lol.

In the week or two leading up to Christmas, the kids and I go for drives looking at all the pretty lights. The Lions Club also have a wonderful display in the park so we make at least one trip to that each year. I usually take the kids for a Santa photo at the shops then we head to the park.

Christmas Eve, we go to the early evening mass. They have carols before the service and it’s so lovely. Then we come home, the kids can open one small present, we put out something yummy for Santa and the kids go to bed then mum and I wait for hours before they fall asleep so we can let Santa in to do his thing.

This year is going to be tough but I want to make it extra special as I’ve put my hand up to work Easter & Christmas 2020.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HearMeRoar For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (10-11-2019)