+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Christmas Day

What do you usually get up to Christmas Day?

We are spending the day home, it will be just us 3 this year. We don’t feel like driving to spend it with family, it will be our first time spending it home!

What special things would you do to make the day a bit more fun?
    What would you do food wise? I want to make it special for DS but I have no idea how. DF and I aren’t big on Christmas (my mum goes overboard every Christmas and it got to the point I hated it) DS is 5 so the magic of Christmas is definitely there and id love some ideas for how to make it super fun.
    Even ideas leading up to Christmas Day, I am seriously at a loss now we’ve decided to stay home.
    The option for joining family isn’t there this year. The family hosting it are expecting people to pay per head to cover costs of food and ‘their time’ The amount they want is ridiculous so we aren’t going to go (never has anyone asked for money for Christmas Day dinner like this before so I’m pretty put off by it!)

Please help me out with some ideas
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We are often on our own, just DH and our kids. My mum is disabled and can’t get in and out of a car anymore and she’s nearly 2 hours away. We go up to visit her before Christmas Day.

DH is Irish so his parents are in Ireland. He has a brother here but he’s a paramedic so comes to us for Christmas if he’s not working.

We just make sure we spend the day focusing on them. I cook a turkey and roast veges. Plus some ham and pavlova.

We make cookies Christmas Eve and put carrots out for the reindeer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Family asking family to cover cost per head and for their “time”? I’d be put off too.

My sister and I take turns. One year I host and the next she hosts. We cover the food costs ourselves when we host. And there is never an expectation to spend more than you can afford.

Ours is small too. Last year I put everyone to work (dad, sister, friend and her parents) to work building the lego DS got from Santa.

We tell the Christmas cracker jokes. Wear the silly hats, have carols playing in the background.

Too much food and everyone naps after lunch.

Other ideas depending on your family and the weather:
    Water balloon fights or play or water shooters
    Board games - trouble, snakes and ladders other simple games for kids
    Christmas picnic in a park your DD loves to go to.
    Christmas movies

In the lead up on Xmas eve this year we will go and look at Xmas lights, open the Xmas eve box with new pyjamas, watch a movie, leave snacks for Santa and the reindeer and hopefully get DS(5) into bed at a reasonable time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have stayed at home last couple of years as we live a few hours away from family and I don’t want to spend Xmas day travelling, nor do I want to be away from home on Xmas day. I like to be home with our own Xmas tree having all the presents under it.
    I like it just being myself, dp and kids, without any fuss or drama. I usually do a simple roast, some ham and I always make a pav as well. We don’t really do much else as we’re in a small country town and there isn’t much happening on Xmas day. Maybe a water fight in the front yard, and spending the day playing with the new gifts. And eating too much food of course.

This year I have to work on Xmas day I had a choice between a morning shift or afternoon shift so I asked ds(9) what he would prefer and he said 9am shift as then he can wake me up earlier for presents haha. So I will watch the kids unrwrap their pressies before I leave for work. I get to leave early at 2pm though, and dp is in charge of Xmas dinner roast this year so at least I get out of cooking. I will still make a pav the day before though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    We are often on our own, just DH and our kids. My mum is disabled and can’t get in and out of a car anymore and she’s nearly 2 hours away. We go up to visit her before Christmas Day.

DH is Irish so his parents are in Ireland. He has a brother here but he’s a paramedic so comes to us for Christmas if he’s not working.

We just make sure we spend the day focusing on them. I cook a turkey and roast veges. Plus some ham and pavlova.

We make cookies Christmas Eve and put carrots out for the reindeer.
    We are planning to visit everyone before Christmas (my grandparents can’t drive so we will see them before)
    I’m quite excited to spend the day at home with just DF and DS. Relaxing and being at home.

I was thinking maybe like a ‘traditional Aussie bbq’ type food? For something a bit different.

I love the idea of making cookies Christmas Eve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-LIKE A BOSS View Post
    Family asking family to cover cost per head and for their “time”? I’d be put off too.

My sister and I take turns. One year I host and the next she hosts. We cover the food costs ourselves when we host. And there is never an expectation to spend more than you can afford.

Ours is small too. Last year I put everyone to work (dad, sister, friend and her parents) to work building the lego DS got from Santa.

We tell the Christmas cracker jokes. Wear the silly hats, have carols playing in the background.

Too much food and everyone naps after lunch.

Other ideas depending on your family and the weather:
    Water balloon fights or play or water shooters
    Board games - trouble, snakes and ladders other simple games for kids
    Christmas picnic in a park your DD loves to go to.
    Christmas movies

In the lead up on Xmas eve this year we will go and look at Xmas lights, open the Xmas eve box with new pyjamas, watch a movie, leave snacks for Santa and the reindeer and hopefully get DS(5) into bed at a reasonable time!
    Isn’t it awful! So we normally do Christmas one year mums, next my auntys and then my nans. This year at my cousins are ‘catering’ dinner so are expecting people to pay. So yeah no thanks (I will delete this bit soon)

I love the silly traditional stuff that you’ve mentioned. Just for a good laugh! Thanks!

The Christmas Eve box is interesting! What do you put in that?

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We usually see the in-laws a week or two before Christmas day. Then on Christmas day we see my family. This year we're going to their house. I suspect Christmas day will be a little bit dull or frustrating as ds usually gets bored at my families house as there will be no other kids. Christmas with the in-laws will be more fun for him as he can catch up with his cousins. They aren't very festive though (no or few presents, no decorations) which I find a little odd.

I'd love a big joint Christmas with all the cousins but I'll doubt it will ever happen. Next year we'll probably do something at our place as it's easier to keep ds entertained.

Eta. Food is usually pretty simple. BBQ or roast with salad. Pudding for dessert and lots of lollies and chips if we're at my families house. I usually offer to bring a salad or something. Nothing too expensive.

Fresh Christmas tree, lots of presents to unwrap and something unhealthy for breakfast usually keeps ds happy!
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 09-11-2019 at 10:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sairz View Post
    We have stayed at home last couple of years as we live a few hours away from family and I don’t want to spend Xmas day travelling, nor do I want to be away from home on Xmas day. I like to be home with our own Xmas tree having all the presents under it.
    I like it just being myself, dp and kids, without any fuss or drama. I usually do a simple roast, some ham and I always make a pav as well. We don’t really do much else as we’re in a small country town and there isn’t much happening on Xmas day. Maybe a water fight in the front yard, and spending the day playing with the new gifts. And eating too much food of course.

This year I have to work on Xmas day I had a choice between a morning shift or afternoon shift so I asked ds(9) what he would prefer and he said 9am shift as then he can wake me up earlier for presents haha. So I will watch the kids unrwrap their pressies before I leave for work. I get to leave early at 2pm though, and dp is in charge of Xmas dinner roast this year so at least I get out of cooking. I will still make a pav the day before though.
    Thanks! We are in a small country town too so things are limited! I love hearing that quite a few people enjoy a small intimate Christmas. We never had a small Christmas when I was younger so it sounds impossible but I’m starting to think it will be fun!

Love that your son would prefer morning lol. Such a kid lol. Sucks you have to work!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Sairz (09-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Usually we do Xmas eve at mums.

Xmas day we do breakfast and presents at home then hang around there until mid morning/lunch then head to either mums or grandads. If my dad is in town we might call into my grandpa’s that night, otherwise we go over Boxing Day.

This year I have no idea what we’re doing. We will do Xmas eve as usual, but Xmas day I have no idea. I am thinking of maybe going to mums/Grandy’s in the morning then heading up to fil’s as it will our nephews first Xmas too and would be nice to have dh and all his siblings plus all the kids together. Maybe stay the night.

Xmas is always pretty low key for us- very simple, no big fuss or fancy stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about an advent calender you fill yourself with little things to do each day relating to christmas. Kmart sells wooden ones with a little box for each day. My dd is only little but im making one for us to become a tradition. Im going to add in things each day like: put up the tree, make paper snowflakes, make christmas biscuits, make homemade cards using stamps, make wrapping paper with stamps and paint, write a letter to santa, make a card and post it to Nan, donate a toy, make a bauble for the tree, leave out milk and cookies for santa, etc...
    You could also do Elf on the Shelf.
    A present on christmas eve of special christmas themed pjs to wear that night.
    On the day, to make it special maybe you could both set the table together with homemade decorations and make it a bit fancy so it looks special. Maybe make his favourote dessert for after lunch?
    To be honest as a kid, the lead up was just as exciting as the actual day. And i always loved being at home for the whole afternoon so i could properly play with all my toys.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (10-11-2019)