+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have 2. My car is the family car and hubby’s car is a small cheap one. Whomever has the kids/needs car seats, uses my car.

Hubby and I need to drive to work, for independence. We do a lot of separate things. Public transport is rarely a suitable option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i have my 8 seater car and DH has 2 Commodores, 1 was a work car we paid out and 1
    is a weekend car. we have 4.kids so use my car for whole family outings

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We own 1 car which is primarily my car and DH’s work supplied him with a work car. In just under 2 years we will purchase another car for DD because when she goes off to uni we want her to have a reliable vehicle for travelling home on holidays.

Thanks
    Reviews
    2 always, well actually 3 if you count hubby's ute.

How do people survive with one car. I dont want to be trapped at home with kids and no way to go anywhere I'd go insane. I live in the country, the public transport is useless.

Putting kids on the bus to school would literally cost more than driving them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummamania For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (08-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ********** View Post
    2 always, well actually 3 if you count hubby's ute.

How do people survive with one car. I dont want to be trapped at home with kids and no way to go anywhere I'd go insane. I live in the country, the public transport is useless.

Putting kids on the bus to school would literally cost more than driving them.
    Does your state offer free bus travel?

In NSW, any child up to year 2 gets free transport to school. After year 3, any child who lives more than 1.6km from school gets free transport.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default For 2 parent families...

We have 2 cars.

My husband leaves for work before 5am. I work 3 days week and my work is not close to trains.

We’ve always had 2 cars. My husband bought his outright when we left Sydney.

Even in Sydney, doing things on the bus network would take ages. When we lived in Sydney I would go to the gym every day. Only 10 minute drive but going on a bus with kids it would take 40 mins. Then I’d go somewhere else like the park or supermarket or library.

We do use public transport occasionally and one of the considerations when we moved out of Sydney was being close to the train line. My husband wanted to move to southern Sydney in the Camden area and I said no because the train station was a 20 minute drive and a longer journey in the train to the city than where we are now living outside of Sydney. We are just over an hour from Central and it’s a fast train.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default For 2 parent families...

We also have 2.

DH drives about 5km to work then his car does nothing until home time, beyond that it is rarely used as it couldn’t accomodate all the kids seats.

I drive the family car and need it during the day to get to activities and do chores.

I couldn’t cope with the restrictions of one car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We’ve got 2 cars. I have the family car and DH has a dual cab Ute. Both are 10 years old, but paid off. We live rural and are 20kms from town so no way could we survive with 1!
    The kids catch the bus to school, but there is no public transport here at all.
    I work PT 3 days a week and DH travels all over the place for his work so couldn’t share if we wanted to. Plus, I get nervous here in summer and keep at last 1/2 a tank of fuel at all times as don’t want to get caught in a bushfire!!
    We did have 1 car for a time when we lived in the city pre-kids. I caught the train to work and would walk the 2kms to the station. Shopping was a pain though as if DH had to work in a weekend and was late at night (regular occurrence) I couldn’t go unless I dropped him off and picked him up first!

Thanks
    Reviews
    1 car, 7 seater
    5 kids, 8y to 10m.
    Hubby catches bus to work, i get the car to run kids around. Lots of afterschool activities. If on weekend we have to be in 2 pkaces at same time, we ask to borrow granparenfs car or they come to watch gane too and give hubby and whichever kid a lift, or hubby and 8 yo will ride bikes if a nice day. We live walking distance to school and shop, but driving to city or kids love it when we all catch a bus.
    Not sure how long this will work for, but want to put off getting another car for as long as possible. Holding out for all electric 8 seater
    Last edited by Sirena89; 08-11-2019 at 11:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Does your state offer free bus travel?

In NSW, any child up to year 2 gets free transport to school. After year 3, any child who lives more than 1.6km from school gets free transport.
    No it only offers "country bus" and to qualify for that you need to live more than 5km from the nearest BUS STOP.. not even the nearest school.