+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel3072 View Post
    No it only offers "country bus" and to qualify for that you need to live more than 5km from the nearest BUS STOP.. not even the nearest school.
    that sucks. I’d hate having to drive the kids in and out every day. So lucky we have a good school bus system here in WA. It’s free as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default For 2 parent families...

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel3072 View Post
    No it only offers "country bus" and to qualify for that you need to live more than 5km from the nearest BUS STOP.. not even the nearest school.
    Yeah here you have to live more than 5km from the nearest public school, which we do, however the kids have to catch the same bus on the same days each week (something to do with how it’s billed?). Therefore is does not work for parents who share custody.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    that sucks. I’d hate having to drive the kids in and out every day. So lucky we have a good school bus system here in WA. It’s free as well.
    I think it’s free for public school students in vic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We currently have two, like others who are in a regional area the bus system here is ordinary. Parents and in laws live out of town and there is no bus system out there at all, our activities are spread out including on the other side of the border which would mean having to transfer buses.

We did have only one car when we only had one child though but that was because my husband didn’t have his license, he thankfully got his Ps three days after we had our second dd. When I was working before we had kids we worked not far from each other and similar hours so we would drive together or we lived more central so he walked. When we had dd1 he would ride his bike so we could probably survive with 1 car but it’s handy to be able to swap kids or cars(he has seats for the older kids so whoever has the youngest has my car but since he dented my car he hasn’t been game to drive it much!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have 2 cars:

- DH is a work ute and the back is kitted out for his equipment.

- we live metro Melbourne but not in walking distance to school or sporting activities and there are no trams to where their sports are and it would cost us a bomb in tram fares

- we live in a little bit of a dead pocket of transport so a 10min drive from school to work would take me 2 trams and a walk and it’s just not practical when you’re trying to get there as early as you can and leave as late as possible.

I have a multiple of health issues and whilst most of them I get the tram too, I don’t have the energy to do all the public transport, walking and early starts to get to school/sports/work.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have have 2. Dh leaves early for work so I do drop off in the morning (we are not walking distance to anything) then go to work. Dh picks ds up in the afternoon. Public transport is not great near us unless you need to travel in and out of the CBD. It's not good for travelling to suburban workplaces. For example, to drop ds off in the morning it would probably take 2 buses or a train and a bus versus a 15 min drive. Then I'd need to get to work! It would probably take at least 2 hrs in the morning.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 08-11-2019 at 22:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have two. We each work an hour’s drive away from home, in opposite directions, and to take public transport would be 2+ hours each way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have 2 cars. We can’t manage our differing work hours and the kids extra-curricular activities with one - wish we could! To try and save money I downsized to a Yaris a few years ago once the kids were out of prams etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We both have one because we live on a farm. 100% could not exist without both cars as we are 25km from the nearest town. I work casually out of town and DP drives into Melbourne each day to work as a tradie.