+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default For 2 parent families...

Do you both have cars?

Yes? Why?

No? Why not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No. Well, not technically.

I have my car, the family car that fits everyone. Dh has his work ute but is allowed to use it for personal use as well. But obviously he doesn’t pay costs associated with it and it’s not “his”.

While he is in a job where he is supplied with a work car, there’s no point having a second car. However in future we will look at getting a cheap little run around car for when I am on placements and eventually working so the family is free for whoever is caring for the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    we have 1 car that we share. while it was just ds/kids are young, it’s been fine. dh has always worked cbd/city fringe and only drove to work for a very short period (when ds was tiny, wtf was i thinking stuck at home with no car and a young baby lol, no wonder i was going bonkers).

as the kids get older and ds starts school year after next and there’ll no doubt be more sports and activities etc, we will likely need a second car.

we’ve loved the fact that one car so far is only one lot of costs. we’ve been debating for a while whether we get a bigger car (7 seater) or get a second car. for the reasons mentioned above, we think a second car will likely be better.

our current car will be paid off in just under a year so we will likely keep that and get a runabout/smaller car or a larger car. very undecided.

we really like what we have but a bigger version i’m not even sure would fit in our garage and the smaller version is too pricey for a runabout.

so yeah. currently making do with one car but i don’t think we can avoid getting a second car for that much longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have 1 car. We are walking distance from school, train, childcare/kindy, library, small local shops/coffee shop etc.

Neither needs the car for work. Both work in the city so catch the train (or DH rides his bike). We just use it usually on weekends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have two. About 95% of the time we only need one car, however, nothing is walking distance from our house (schools, daycare etc) and public transport around here is woeful. So when we need two cars, we need two cars. If DD was older it might work with one car as we could use taxis / Uber where there is a gap, however, I don’t feel comfortable her travelling without a car seat on a regular basis. Id much rather one car as the insurance, rego, servicing, tyre, etc., costs add up and it seem wasteful given we don’t use them much at the same time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have 2. As a shift worker I come and go at weird hours so DH needs to be able to get DD to daycare and then I pick her up. Our second car doesn’t get used that often, particularly now that DH works from home. If I’m at work on the weekend I leave the “family” car at home with DD (Subaru forester) and take the smaller car (Mazda 3) to work. During the week the forester is mine and the Mazda is DHs as we’ve been told by DD (much to DHs disgust )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes. And bizarrely we have two of the same car lol. Blue commodores.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have 3 cars, my car is a 7 seater for everyday use, DH is a Ute for work mainly and then we have a landcruiser which is our 4wding holiday car. DH also has a motorbike that we take out for rides together on his day off and kids are at school.
    No public transport where we live.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have 2 cars we own plus df has a company car.

I want to get rid of dfs, because he rarely used it now he's changed jobs...and honestly it's a piece of crap, it's got so much that needs repairing despite being newer than mine... but it's a model (which we NOW know) well known for ongoing issues....

Df used to work random hours , short shifts, and with young children it was impossible to juggle... and we were unnerved by me being homme with no vehicle incase something happened.

But we probably should just sell both and get something bigger than a sedan as we can't go anywhere in it 2 adults+3 kids+ pram = sardines

But I'm holding out as mine, although it's 12 years old... its only clocked up 120k kms. (Legit) I purchased it new. Dfs is 10yrs old and done 190k kms... he put a stupid new exhaust on it to make it louder (can't even hold a conversation in it), it's got computer errors, coil packs playing up, power windows busted, oxygen sensors faulty... not to mention other issues like where he reversed and clipped a brick wall.... mines took it 100kms away the other week and didn't think we'd make it home.... mine just needs preventative maintenance doing, it's never skipped a beat.

But we are looking at a Kia...

We own both cars outright, and have for the past 2 or 3 years. They were suitable with 2 kids and no pram, but 3 kids + pram is pushing it.
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 07-11-2019 at 10:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default For 2 parent families...

Yes, we have two cars.

Dh works quite a distance from home and leaves for work at 5:30am and returns home around 4pm.
    He drives a 5 seater SUV.

I do both school runs, and need a car for my work as well. I drive an 8 seater.

We own both cars outright, so no loans thank goodness, and we’ll always have two cars due to the nature and distance of my dh’s work.