+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i do recall size 1-2 being hard to find too but i got some for ds at best and less then kmart. cheap as chips and i wasn’t worried if they got chucked. he’s only just allowed to wear his star wars undies now that i trust him not to soil them completely to the point of no return.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post

makes sense you’re coming from a medical perspective and handle worse, but a hospital is equipped to handle bodily fluids, a daycare centre isn’t. you’re degree trained and paid accordingly, daycare educators are usually cert 3 and earn minimum wage. is it really a fair comparison? i think they do a wonderful job, dealing with destroyed poop undies is a bit of a tall order i think 🤷🏼‍♀️
    @turquoisecoast nowhere in my degree was I taught to scrape bodily fluids off clothes and rinse them. We don’t always have facilities equipped for rinsing bodily fluids off clothes. More than often it’s done in a sink the same size as a laundry tub. I actually find it a little bit offensive that because I’m “degree trained” and “paid accordingly” means I should have to scrape and rinse off bodily fluids. I am “degree trained” to recognise signs when someone is becoming unwell, long before they are in a critical condition. I am “degree trained” to know when something isn’t going to plan and intervene before someone dies. Not once in my degree was I “trained” how to angle the flow of water to avoid splashes of vomit or how to most effectively rinse poo off a pair of soiled underwear. That’s just being a human.

Yes, dealing with bodily fluids is part of my job, just as it is for a daycare educator who is playing an important part in raising children who at one point or another will be toilet trained.

My point is, I am not upset at the action of throwing undies out. I’m upset at them throwing undies out without telling me that that’s what happens. Give me the choice or the option. Or tell all parents when they start toilet training their kids what the policy is. Send home a newsletter. Put it on Storypark. Put it in the bloody parents handbook! There are loads of ways to communicate with parents and to just not tell anyone is poor form. I know the other mum was taken by surprise too and from the tone of her voice, I’m guessing a little bit annoyed so it’s not just me.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (05-11-2019),atomicmama (05-11-2019),babyno1onboard (05-11-2019),lauzie (05-11-2019),Mum-I-Am (05-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    @M'LadyEm, if you specifically asked, they might bag them up and send them home for you?

Ps i found size 1-2 at Ollie's Place for DS if i recall correctly, but that was ages ago (in addition to ones from Target and a few other places i can't remember).
    I did have a bit of a look in Ollie’s place a few weeks ago but couldn’t see any undies at all. My sister said she saw some in Cotton on Kids, but when I looked none in size 1-2. It’s so annoying. If only DD would fatten up a bit we’d be fine haha. I think she’s going to be tall as her last growth spurt saw her grow 8cm in height but only put on maybe half a kg.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (05-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    @turquoisecoast nowhere in my degree was I taught to scrape bodily fluids off clothes and rinse them. We don’t always have facilities equipped for rinsing bodily fluids off clothes. More than often it’s done in a sink the same size as a laundry tub. I actually find it a little bit offensive that because I’m “degree trained” and “paid accordingly” means I should have to scrape and rinse off bodily fluids. I am “degree trained” to recognise signs when someone is becoming unwell, long before they are in a critical condition. I am “degree trained” to know when something isn’t going to plan and intervene before someone dies. Not once in my degree was I “trained” how to angle the flow of water to avoid splashes of vomit or how to most effectively rinse poo off a pair of soiled underwear. That’s just being a human.

Yes, dealing with bodily fluids is part of my job, just as it is for a daycare educator who is playing an important part in raising children who at one point or another will be toilet trained.

My point is, I am not upset at the action of throwing undies out. I’m upset at them throwing undies out without telling me that that’s what happens. Give me the choice or the option. Or tell all parents when they start toilet training their kids what the policy is. Send home a newsletter. Put it on Storypark. Put it in the bloody parents handbook! There are loads of ways to communicate with parents and to just not tell anyone is poor form. I know the other mum was taken by surprise too and from the tone of her voice, I’m guessing a little bit annoyed so it’s not just me.
    noooooo, not what i meant at all. i meant it more that they’re NOT degree trained nor are they paid especially well and given they do such an amazing job caring for our little ones, i just think asking them to scrape poo is stretching it a bit far.

yes i agree with the not being told, a note on storypark or some kind of heads up would be better. is it in their centre policies??

i’d just email the director and say you’d like undies kept or, if they’re truly beyond hope, a note that they were disposed of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our centre drops the solid stuff in the toilet then bags em up and puts them in a bucket for you to collect when you pick up your child.
    I'm very lucky all my kids are well and truly toilet trained now (littlest still accidentally gets wee on his undies sometimes when he is in a hurry so I still have to collect those ones sometimes) but I've always thrown the poopy ones out myself. Once they've been sitting in a plastic bag in a bucket all day there's no getting that smell out. I have always chucked them in the bin before I leave.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (05-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree the not telling you is the biggest issue here. Poor form and lack of communication on their part.

Daycare educators should be at minimum a cert 3, or working towards it (must have qualifications now. 10 years ago you didn't, but they did give you an edge as a "trained assistant".)
    Room leaders should hold a diploma at minimum. With the kinder room educator having a bachelor of teaching

Thanks
    Reviews
    They got sent home in a plastic bag. But we’re sooo gross after being left in a bag all day and I used to just throw the bag out when I got home. When Dad first started toilet training I brought nice bonds undies and quickly switched to Kmart cheapies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    ours come home rinsed and bagged too but if it’s a real mess then i wouldn’t expect anyone to deal with that beyond ditching them.

makes sense you’re coming from a medical perspective and handle worse, but a hospital is equipped to handle bodily fluids, a daycare centre isn’t. you’re degree trained and paid accordingly, daycare educators are usually cert 3 and earn minimum wage. is it really a fair comparison? i think they do a wonderful job, dealing with destroyed poop undies is a bit of a tall order i think 🤷🏼‍♀️
    I've had to clean up a kid with it running down their legs and also clean up the trail that they left in the yard. Undies seriously aren't a big deal as what is the difference between rinsing undies and wiping a kids bum?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, I don't feel it is parents fault that educators are not paid what they deserve to be paid. It's kind of a society thing in Australia I feel. Some other countries see childcare and early education as one of the most important jobs. I don't feel Australia treats it that way. I wouldn't want to lower my standards in my work just because I don't get paid enough. I don't feel that will help Australia step up and recognise how important our job is.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (05-11-2019),atomicmama (05-11-2019),babyno1onboard (05-11-2019),MLadyEm (05-11-2019),Mum-I-Am (05-11-2019)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Also, I don't feel it is parents fault that educators are not paid what they deserve to be paid. It's kind of a society thing in Australia I feel. Some other countries see childcare and early education as one of the most important jobs. I don't feel Australia treats it that way. I wouldn't want to lower my standards in my work just because I don't get paid enough. I don't feel that will help Australia step up and recognise how important our job is.
    Agreed! Childcare workers/educators deserve to be paid a lot more but that is beside the point.

Ds' childcare would bag up soiled clothes. I always washed his undies. We couldn't afford to replace them every time he had an accident but the childcare never asked us, just automatically kept them for us to deal with at home. The most annoying part for me was that dh would leave it for me to deal with hours after he and ds came home.