+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Daycare and toilet training

So I have a question for the well versed and those who work in childcare...

Is it common place to throw out undies when there’s a poo accident? When I was picking DD up last week I overheard one of the daycare staff telling one of the other mums that her DD had had a poo accident so they threw out the undies as that’s their policy. Now DD has been in undies there for 3-4 weeks now and not once has this been communicated to us. She’s toilet trained for wees, but still won’t use the toilet for poos, so will either go in her knickers or nappy during sleep time. She came home today with a bag of washing and inside was only a pair of shorts. I asked DH which undies she had on this morning and he said Emma Wiggle and she came home with her cherry ones on. I’m a bit miffed that a) they just throw out clothes but mostly b) that they don’t tell you! After I overheard that conversation last week, I went back and read through the parent handbook and nowhere does it mention toilet training and the throwing out of soiled undies. As it was, that particular day DD was sent home wearing leggings that had a poo mark on them which I thought was a bit gross. We send multiple spare pairs of pants in her bag for a reason. I haven’t been able to bring it up yet as DH does drop off and when I do pick up, it’s rarely her regular educators there. I don’t always know the ones who are there in the afternoon.

So my question is, is this normal?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The carers in DS's room asked us what they'd like us to do with poo accident undies. We told them to chuck them! We figured life's too short to clean disgustingly poopy jocks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ditto when dd1 was in childcare during her toilet training days, we were asked. I said chuck them if that happens. Nobody wants to be scraping poo off of other people's kids' undies. And I didn't want the gift of poopy undies which had been marinating in a plastic bag for hours 🤮.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (05-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Never heard of them throwing the undies out (I worked in childcare pre-Dd1 and obviously have used it a lot with the kids). It’s always been flushed as best they can and/or just put in a scented nappy bag until I pick kid up in the arv. If it was (sorry for getting gross) soft/runny or mushed in poop I wouldn’t care if they just threw them but otherwise I’d be pretty miffed. I’d be even more miffed if they said its policy but nowhere actually states said policy and it hadn’t been mentioned before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had both scenarios happen through the years of have 3 kids go thru daycare.

Ive had the poopy undies sent home in a nappy sak bag - as they would bag them for you as their policy is not to touch more than needed.

Also had soiled undies chucked out.

My preference was to chuck em as after theyd been sat in a bag for hours they never came clean without a stain anyway.

I used super cheapy undies for daycare and saved the nicer (character) ones for home use as if we had an accident at home i could soak immediately.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

BigRedV (05-11-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wasn't for DS (DD TT'd pops first, so never happened). He took ages to poo train and was pooping several times a day, so we would have been needing to buy 2-3 packets of jocks a week if they'd just been throwing them out. They were all bagged and sent home soiled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    In the centres I have worked, we have never thrown out undies. We rinse and bag. On pickup sometimes parents prefer to bin them instead of take them home but that's on them, not us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    our centre bins them if they’re really soiled, like beyond repair. i mean i guess if i’d specifically asked them to keep them they would, they’d bag them up. but it’s pretty unhygienic. in a real poo disaster, they bin them. if it’s well formed stools, they just flush them and bag the undies.

when ds was first training, we only sent him in wearing (plus spares) of cheap $1 undies for this reason. now he’s dry every day, we can let him in wearing $5 undies

i’d start with cheap ones til she’s a bit better (assuming you’re concerned about the cost)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our day care centre would bag them up. I don’t want them chucked, seems very wasteful

Thanks
    Reviews
    we were asked but also compromised with them. id rather all come home as have a sprayer in toilet and use cloth with baby DS3. but ive agreed rhe really gross ones they can bin. have gone through so many pairs though...
    buy the cheap multipacks from kmart for daycare