+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 3 month old baby timing of nighttime feeds

I have a 13 week old bub who is a good sleeper, but in the last week or so has changed her nighttime sleeping/feeding habits, so I'm after some views on why this might be the case.

Previously, she would sleep from about 7/7.30 until 2 or 3am, have milk on one side only, then go back to sleep for another 4+ hours, so generally she was only waking for one feed overnight, and it was like that for a good month. I'm not an early morning person so if she woke before 7 I would generally feed her back to sleep until a more civilised wake-up time, from 7 onwards.

In the past week or so though, she's been waking for her first feed earlier, 12-1am, then sleeping for a maximum of 3 hours before waking again. I think it isn't about hunger because she doesn't drink as much for her second feed as she does for the first, and then isn't really that hungry first thing in the morning. She's also at that distractable age where, particularly frst thing in the morning, she's all smiles while she's bf - super cute 🥰

Her weight gain is good. She happily self-settles to sleep, so I don't think it's about sleep props. Obviously I'm happy to do overnight feeds and she's still very young etc, but I'm puzzled because she seemed to be waking less previously. I'm also wondering whether she might be too hot or too cold at night - we live in Canberra and it's increasingly hot during the day but often still cold at night, so getting bedding right is a challenge.

I still feed her on demand during the day, although really we've kind of settled into a loose routine - so I don't think it should be about calories.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So weird, my little Charlie has just started doing this all this week at 16 weeks old. He was sleeping all night with one feed around 2am and drinking lots during the day. Just this last week, he's hardly drinking anything in the day and having feeds throughout the night almost every 2-3 hours.
    Im like you, not really bothered or concerned but just thought it was odd.
    We're about 2 1/2 hours from ACT and same temps, hot in the day but still cold lows at night.
    My guesses are it's maybe a leap or maybe a growth spurt thing or i was also thinking as he has an active older sibling, he's just to busy checking out all the action and activity going on throughout the day to be bothered to drink.
    Interesting about the temperature ideas, but we co sleep so i imagine he'd be warm enough from my body heat.
    I dunno, babies be cray cray???
    Charlie's the same in the morning now too, not hungry, too busy kicking and looking around and playing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Kalina (29-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe they are hungry at night coz its colder and not as hungry in the warmth of the day? I know i eat less when it's hot and eat more in winter???

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Kalina (29-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first guess would be an age thing. For an exact reason I don’t know but I’ve had 6 babies and they changed their sleeping habits day and night around 3-4 months. Exclusively bf too.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

gorgeousgeorge (29-10-2019),Kalina (29-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babies be cray cray indeed.....

I've been wondering how you're going! Charlie's shouldn't be cold related since you're co sleeping I guess...? My little dd2 is in her cot next to my bed, I feel like it's warm the first half of the night, but this morning her little hands were like icicles. It's hard not to smile when they're distracted isn't it - I've tried to explain to dd1 that we need peace and quiet when dd2 is feeding.... so she tries to prance about quietly lol....dd2 adores her big sister, so will fling her head about looking for her

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

gorgeousgeorge (29-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    My first guess would be an age thing. For an exact reason I don’t know but I’ve had 6 babies and they changed their sleeping habits day and night around 3-4 months. Exclusively bf too.
    Was it temporary? I guess maybe it's what they call the (roughly) 4 month sleep regression, but everything I read says the solution to that is to teach them to self settle - which dd2 does anyway??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I might be the wrong person to ask lol none of mine ever really had any pattern after that. I just remember it getting rough around teething time, peaking at about 8 months for my last baby.

If she’s self settling I would feel really happy with that 😊

I probably wouldn’t expect her to go back to what she was doing before but I could be wrong.
    I also understand what you’re saying about temperature. It’s frustrating trying to get that right! It does wake them too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    I might be the wrong person to ask lol none of mine ever really had any pattern after that. I just remember it getting rough around teething time, peaking at about 8 months for my last baby.

If she’s self settling I would feel really happy with that 😊

I probably wouldn’t expect her to go back to what she was doing before but I could be wrong.
    I also understand what you’re saying about temperature. It’s frustrating trying to get that right! It does wake them too.
    Yes the self settling is fantastic! I accidentally discovered she could do it some weeks back when I put her into her cot wide awake while I went to wrangle my older daughter into bed. Was relieved when she didn't cry, got back to the room five minutes later expecting to rock her to sleep.... there she was, snoozing away contentedly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Been reading stuff tonight and think it might be that we've hit the four month sleep regression, just a little early. Apparently four months is just average, it can happen earlier.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

gorgeousgeorge (29-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes i agree, this happened with DD and id completely forgotten about the 4 month regression. I still thonk of Charlie as like a newborn baby but he's not one anymore! Seems we are both in the thick of it I do remember by 6 months with DD things were back to normal.