+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0

    Default Hypothyroidism & IVF

    Hiya,

    I am new to this forum and just trying to seek some positive vibes regarding my situation..

    Just looking for anyone who has had a similar situation to me. We are currently in the waiting period for my Thyroid levels to stabilise, after my FS neglected to check my thyroid levels pre IVF treatment even after I told her it runs in my mums family.


    Doing IVF due to partner having testicular cancer. First 2 cycles failed and then did a TSH test to find out I have severe under-active thyroid. Changed Drs because we lost the trust in her, as she told me I just had bad eggs!


    1st Cycle- 6eggs /5injected /3fertilised /all arrested day3
    2nd Cycle- 24 eggs /14injected /12fertilised /1 day6 Blast


    Has anyone had Thyroid issues and then gone on to have successful cycles with lots of blasts and a BFP after? My Dr is saying that he is very hopeful that the thyroid was my main issue and will get pregnant from this fix?!


    TIA xx

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Bump

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,831
    Thanks
    883
    Thanked
    2,885
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi @emilyc, I hope someone in a similar situation will answer soon. My story's different because I'm guessing you're younger if your Dr thinks hypothyroidism is the only hurdle, but just wanted to share a couple of points the endocrinologist i saw gave me because I also have a wonky thyroid (only slightly wonky, subclinical pregnancy-induced hypothyroidism in my case, but enough to cause problems).

    Since you're doing IVF your body will be subjected to a barrage of drugs which impact on your own hormones, including tsh. Push for your tsh levels to be checked before stimming and before transfer - don't transfer an embryo if your tsh isn't perfect. Then if you have a bfp, increase your thyroxine dosage by at least 30% immediately, then test your thyroid regularly. Of course don't do anything on advice from someone off the internet and without consulting a Dr - but this was the advice I got from an endocrinologist.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

    emilyc (07-11-2019),Kitty89 (06-11-2019)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    1
    Reviews
    0
    I Have hypothyroidism and am starting IVF next month ... This is really good to know! im going to ask the FS if she can keep checking the thyroid with the normal prep bloods

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitty89 For This Useful Post:

    emilyc (07-11-2019)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    189
    Thanks
    195
    Thanked
    87
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by emilyc View Post
    Bump
    I have hypothyroidism and with my last transfer my thyroid level was way out and I questioned us going ahead with the transfer and my FS said it would be fine because the level needs to be right to maintain a pregnancy but not to actually get pregnant...
    If hypothyroidism has an effect on your eggs or not, I’m not actually sure sorry

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to alittlebitofadiva For This Useful Post:

    emilyc (07-11-2019)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    Hi @emilyc, I hope someone in a similar situation will answer soon. My story's different because I'm guessing you're younger if your Dr thinks hypothyroidism is the only hurdle, but just wanted to share a couple of points the endocrinologist i saw gave me because I also have a wonky thyroid (only slightly wonky, subclinical pregnancy-induced hypothyroidism in my case, but enough to cause problems).

    Since you're doing IVF your body will be subjected to a barrage of drugs which impact on your own hormones, including tsh. Push for your tsh levels to be checked before stimming and before transfer - don't transfer an embryo if your tsh isn't perfect. Then if you have a bfp, increase your thyroxine dosage by at least 30% immediately, then test your thyroid regularly. Of course don't do anything on advice from someone off the internet and without consulting a Dr - but this was the advice I got from an endocrinologist.
    Hi Kalina! Thank you so much for your response! I really am hoping that our 3rd cycle has more success than the last 2. I have just been in contact with the clinic regarding levothyroxine, as I am all kinds of messed up right now. I feel like a crazy person. Causing issues between my partner and I for now real apparent reason.

    My FS seems to think the thyroid will fix everything, but deep down I can't help but think this isn't the case. Which is frustrating. Have you had any success yet? What is your story? X

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alittlebitofadiva View Post
    I have hypothyroidism and with my last transfer my thyroid level was way out and I questioned us going ahead with the transfer and my FS said it would be fine because the level needs to be right to maintain a pregnancy but not to actually get pregnant...
    If hypothyroidism has an effect on your eggs or not, I’m not actually sure sorry
    My FS says your thyroid levels definitely need to be at a certain level for implantation and getting pregnant and I have done a lotnof rrsearch that states you need to have a stable thyroid pre pregnancy etc. Did you get pregnant?

    I am with Prof Kelton Tremellen, and he seemed very promising when he said my thyroid is most definitely the reason I have crap egg quality. Lets see if he is true to his word. I would assume he is, as he seems to be pretty high up in the IVF/fertility world.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty89 View Post
    I Have hypothyroidism and am starting IVF next month ... This is really good to know! im going to ask the FS if she can keep checking the thyroid with the normal prep bloods
    Hi Kitty, what is the reason you're doing ivf? Did you notice your emotions and mental state going a bit crazy when you started off on any medication? I am currently on levothyroxine and honestly I feel like a mental case at the moment

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,831
    Thanks
    883
    Thanked
    2,885
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emilyc View Post
    Hi Kalina! Thank you so much for your response! I really am hoping that our 3rd cycle has more success than the last 2. I have just been in contact with the clinic regarding levothyroxine, as I am all kinds of messed up right now. I feel like a crazy person. Causing issues between my partner and I for now real apparent reason.

    My FS seems to think the thyroid will fix everything, but deep down I can't help but think this isn't the case. Which is frustrating. Have you had any success yet? What is your story? X
    Yes, my beautiful little 3 month old dd2 is napping as we speak 🥰. She was almost 5 years years, 8 losses, countless natural and 12 IVF cycles in the making, including four attempts with donor eggs until the last one finally worked. I had a nasty case of secondary infertility after easily conceiving dd1 naturally. We started trying for a second when she was one, but just couldn't quite get there. Eventually I got old enough through this process for my age itself to be a problem, so I turned to donor eggs because the odds were so much better. It still took another four transfers.

    Have you been checked for thyroid antibodies? Do ask for a full thyroid panel if you haven't already.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    That is amazing! and 12 IVF cycles, how many stim cycles did you have to do? You are an amazing woman doing all that! And here I am struggling over 2 cycles haha

    I went in for bloods 3 weeks ago to check all my antibodies etc. Not sure exactly what tbh, it was my old doctor who got me to do it before we swapped Drs a couple days later. I am not sure how old you are but I am still 28, so hopefully I still have a chance to try with my own eggies!

    I go in on the 20th to get the results for the blood tests and the karyotype test. I am starting to get really nervous now!


 

Similar Threads

  1. IVF and hypothyroidism
    By Amywantsababy in forum IVF
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 24-10-2019, 14:33
  2. Expenses in IVF programs
    By Frontier! in forum IVF
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-07-2005, 07:06
  3. IVF first timer
    By neridap in forum IVF
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-06-2005, 06:24
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-05-2005, 19:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
Prams and StrollersLooking to buy a pram or stroller? :: Viewer reviews of prams :: Pram Buyers ...