+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Plz Help me B( . )( . )st my milk supply?!?!

Okay... so I'll try keep this as short as i possibly can...

Dd was born 3 weeks +3days ago. I desired to exclusively breast feed. But when she was born, her blood sugar was low, and instead of allowing me to offer her breast first, the hospital gave her formula straight away, without my consent. (I was so devastated they took that first feed, I looked so forward to for 9 months, from me)
    Anyway, because she struggled to get her sugar stabilised they continued to give her formula. (I had to stand my ground to allow them to let me breast feed her and then give a top up feed with bottle after)
    We were sent to ICU who were more understanding and allowed me to BF her and once she stabilised with IV fluid assistance, they sent back to the ward and the top up feeds continued until we went home basically.
    When we arrived home, I tried to BF only, but Dh encouraged me to mix feed because of when we went in the car n got hungry and cried (long story which I'll skip) and she always seemed hungry after I fed her so he thought I wasn't giving her enough.
    I am 100% against negative speaking and all for positive affirmation. I really believe speaking blessings and not curses helps. Especially for my mindset. But anyways...
    I longed so much to exclusively BF only, so I attempted to boost my supply with the lactation cookies, (pinky mckay) which I think really did help at first.. But I ran out of them and I haven't been able to get more yet. Baby seems to need a couple of bottles a day now, so I am now mix feeding. (Which is fine, if that's what she needs or for someone who wants to do that) but I really would like to get back to BFing Full time. As well as she seems to be more unsettled with tummy pain, passing stools and is windy and vomiting frequently now. But then when she finally settles she is able to have a better and longer sleep. Ugh makes my head spin and my heart break.

I should also mention:
    1. this is my 5th bub and I never had an issue BFing baby #4. she had no issues with blood sugar etc when born.
    2. I had a c-section and my wound is infected so I am on antibiotics. (Would this affect my supply?)

If any lovely lady has some advice for me... what to do to boost my supply and the fatty hind milk perhaps? So it satisfys her more and for longer.
    Maybe I should invest in a pump and express after feeds? Would that help?
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Sincerely - mum of 5 with spinning head

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It’s 5 years since my last baby. I’ve bf 6 babies exclusively bar a few weeks when I tried mixed feeding with my first.
    It’s early days and I believe it will be possible for you to turn this around.
    Have you been able to see a lactation consultant? Most hospitals have one I think.

For at home things, I made my own lactation cookies from a recipe I found online. They did work. Eating oats will also work, like porridge for breakfast.

I don’t have much advice to offer because it’s been so long since I thought about bf.
    All the fussiness etc is quite normal at about 3 weeks. It’s when baby finally wakes out of the sleepy newborn phase. I wouldn’t really put that sort of behaviour down to what she’s being fed.

Just wanted to encourage you. I hope some other mums will have more actual advice.
    If you can call the aba they will have some good advice for you too.

Eta antibiotics wouldn’t usually affect supply, at least they never did for me. They could possibly upset her tummy but it’s nothing dangerous and not worth worrying about. Maybe just make her poop more.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

FourPlusOne (22-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most of the time (unless there is a medical situation affecting supply) supply is dictated by demand. Try to get baby on as much as possible, your baby nursing is what sends your body the message to make more milk. So if she empties a breast, keep her on for a while longer, then same on the other side. I'm sure someone here will be able to give you great tips re: mixed feeding, but just wanted to say that the more you can get her to feed, the more milk you'll make. Express once the baby has finished.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

FourPlusOne (22-10-2019),Notalone (23-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Firstly you need to find yourself a good LC. Someone who can offer you advice that is specifically for you and your situation.

General advice I can give:
    - breastfeeding works on supply and demand. If baby is looking hungry, offer the breast again. It will help build your supply up to be what bub needs. Offering a bottle of formula is not going to help you make more milk.

- babies cry for a number of reasons. Hungry, tired, cold, hot, wet, dirty, lonely, pain etc. Don’t automatically assume that because bub is crying after a feed that she’s hungry. Is she showing feeding cues? If so, offer the breast again. Also in regards to the car, some babies cry in the car incessantly. It doesn’t mean they’re hungry.

- wound infection will affect your supply. As will stress. The antibiotics themselves won’t affect your supply, but as your body is working to fight an infection, it will prohibit it the prolactin release (the breastfeeding hormone that triggers lactation). Cortisol, the stress hormone, also prohibits prolactin release. So if you’re stressed because of the wound infection, the formula at birth issue, the mixed feeding situation, all of this will be playing a part.

- expressing is not a bad idea to try and build your supply. You can hire a pump to see how you go, or if you get a good let down, you can buy a Haaka (or internet cheapie version) for like $30 which is a far easier investment to make in the short term.

- also if baby is vomiting frequently then maybe she doesn’t actually need the top ups?

In the long run, you and your partner have to be on the same page. You have successfully exclusively breastfed a baby before, so theoretically you should be able to do the same. Explain to your partner just how important breastfeeding is to you and that he needs to support you. If there is no medical indication for baby to need formula top ups, then stop them. Offer the breast again. The more stimulation your breasts receive, the more milk they’ll make. I can’t stress enough to find yourself a good LC.

On a side note, I would be furious at the hospital for giving formula without consent if you’d expressed your intentions to exclusively breastfeed. There is a lot of research out there around breastmilk and increasing blood sugars which shows it is actually more effective at raising levels and keeping them stable than formula. Not to mention the long term effects that formula can have on a babies gut flora. It would be worth putting in a complaint to the patient liaison officer. This is something that really should not be taken lightly. If you are intending to exclusively BF there should be written consent before giving formula. I think they need some education and to update their policies on hypoglycaemia management!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl (22-10-2019),FourPlusOne (22-10-2019),Kalina (22-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    Firstly you need to find yourself a good LC. Someone who can offer you advice that is specifically for you and your situation.

General advice I can give:
    - breastfeeding works on supply and demand. If baby is looking hungry, offer the breast again. It will help build your supply up to be what bub needs. Offering a bottle of formula is not going to help you make more milk.

- babies cry for a number of reasons. Hungry, tired, cold, hot, wet, dirty, lonely, pain etc. Don’t automatically assume that because bub is crying after a feed that she’s hungry. Is she showing feeding cues? If so, offer the breast again. Also in regards to the car, some babies cry in the car incessantly. It doesn’t mean they’re hungry.

- wound infection will affect your supply. As will stress. The antibiotics themselves won’t affect your supply, but as your body is working to fight an infection, it will prohibit it the prolactin release (the breastfeeding hormone that triggers lactation). Cortisol, the stress hormone, also prohibits prolactin release. So if you’re stressed because of the wound infection, the formula at birth issue, the mixed feeding situation, all of this will be playing a part.

- expressing is not a bad idea to try and build your supply. You can hire a pump to see how you go, or if you get a good let down, you can buy a Haaka (or internet cheapie version) for like $30 which is a far easier investment to make in the short term.

- also if baby is vomiting frequently then maybe she doesn’t actually need the top ups?

In the long run, you and your partner have to be on the same page. You have successfully exclusively breastfed a baby before, so theoretically you should be able to do the same. Explain to your partner just how important breastfeeding is to you and that he needs to support you. If there is no medical indication for baby to need formula top ups, then stop them. Offer the breast again. The more stimulation your breasts receive, the more milk they’ll make. I can’t stress enough to find yourself a good LC.

On a side note, I would be furious at the hospital for giving formula without consent if you’d expressed your intentions to exclusively breastfeed. There is a lot of research out there around breastmilk and increasing blood sugars which shows it is actually more effective at raising levels and keeping them stable than formula. Not to mention the long term effects that formula can have on a babies gut flora. It would be worth putting in a complaint to the patient liaison officer. This is something that really should not be taken lightly. If you are intending to exclusively BF there should be written consent before giving formula. I think they need some education and to update their policies on hypoglycaemia management!
    Thank you so much for ur reply. I feel I've finally found someone who understands me 100% *hugs*

Thanks
    Reviews
    @MLadyEm you’re a midwife right? 🙂
    Wonderful reply 👍🏻

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

FourPlusOne (23-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only thing I would add to all the great advice received is that if you go down the expressing route to boost supply then depending on how much milk you can express you'll be able to give bottle top ups of breast milk rather than formula which you may feel more comfortable with. I have had to do this with both my boys in the first couple of months to assist with weight gain.

Good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Michy1980 For This Useful Post:

FourPlusOne (23-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Michy1980 View Post
    The only thing I would add to all the great advice received is that if you go down the expressing route to boost supply then depending on how much milk you can express you'll be able to give bottle top ups of breast milk rather than formula which you may feel more comfortable with. I have had to do this with both my boys in the first couple of months to assist with weight gain.

Good luck!
    Yes that would make me much more comfortable