+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default share the dignity - it’s in the bag

hope this is allowed...

just wanted to share that a favorite charity of mine, share the dignity, is having it’s christmas collection. you can put together a bag of essentials and some nice extras for women, teens or new mums, all escaping domestic violence and/or facing/experiencing homelessness. the idea of being in such a vulnerable position, a new mum with a newborn to care for, escaping a violent/abusive partner, and facing an uncertain future, brings me to tears.

i’m going to be putting together a bag for mum and newborn.

just wanted to share, if you can spare some time and have a few extra bucks in the grocery budget to spare, please consider doing the same.

more info here:

https://sharethedignity.com.au/christmas-charity/

zero affiliation with this organization, it’s just an issue i feel very passionately about. anything we can do to help us amazing xx

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

JR03 (22-10-2019),Kalina (20-10-2019),MLadyEm (20-10-2019),Mod-Wise Enough (20-10-2019),satapt (20-10-2019),whiteroses (21-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing. I think it is a wonderful thing and have been planning to do one also.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseMay For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (20-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do this collection every Christmas as work, it’s always emotional writing the little notes.

I have a little cry every time the instragram posts from the charity come up in my feed.

This is lasts years bag haul
    IMG_0316.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Allanahbananah For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (20-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I’m a volunteer for Share The Dignity so it’s great to see it here!! It’s a great cause, one I’m passionate about.

Many years ago, after I kicked my first husband out, I was in huge financial trouble. He left me with thousands of dollars of debt, and I was struggling. I was also going through a never ending period (thanks PCOS) and often had to make the choice between food or pads. I would call in sick on my heavy days, because I could essentially sit on the toilet at home and not “waste” a pad. I would leak and flood all the time, because I would leave it too long to change, because I didn’t know when my period would end and didn’t know how long I would have to make a pad last.

I was a “hidden” person though - no one knew the trouble I was in. But if this had existed back then, I would have put my hand up for help.

For this year - there is a huge demand from the charities for nappy bags. Have a look on the Facebook page and website for the recommended contents.

Also - please put roll on deodorant, not spray, if possible. Spray is still accepted, but roll on is preferred - less risk of someone huffing the aerosol when there is no aerosol!

I’m happy to answer questions anyone may have

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Pcos30 For This Useful Post:

Allanahbananah (20-10-2019),amiracle4me (22-10-2019),atomicmama (21-10-2019),babyno1onboard (22-10-2019),lilsushi (20-10-2019),LoveMyWay (20-10-2019),MLadyEm (20-10-2019),Mod-Wise Enough (20-10-2019),satapt (20-10-2019),Tahli (21-10-2019),turquoisecoast (20-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    what do you mean huffing the spray??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcos30 View Post
    I’m a volunteer for Share The Dignity so it’s great to see it here!! It’s a great cause, one I’m passionate about.

Many years ago, after I kicked my first husband out, I was in huge financial trouble. He left me with thousands of dollars of debt, and I was struggling. I was also going through a never ending period (thanks PCOS) and often had to make the choice between food or pads. I would call in sick on my heavy days, because I could essentially sit on the toilet at home and not “waste” a pad. I would leak and flood all the time, because I would leave it too long to change, because I didn’t know when my period would end and didn’t know how long I would have to make a pad last.

I was a “hidden” person though - no one knew the trouble I was in. But if this had existed back then, I would have put my hand up for help.

For this year - there is a huge demand from the charities for nappy bags. Have a look on the Facebook page and website for the recommended contents.

Also - please put roll on deodorant, not spray, if possible. Spray is still accepted, but roll on is preferred - less risk of someone huffing the aerosol when there is no aerosol!

Wow... just wow...

This is quite eye opening.....I'm sorry you had such a hard time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcos30 View Post

thanks for sharing your story. agreed, very eye opening. as you say, you were one of the “hidden” ones, makes you wonder how many people we cross paths with in daily life who are in the same boat; those who look as if everything is ok on the outside, but are struggling privately and having to make stark choices such as choosing food or sanitary products. nobody should have to face that.

in what capacity do you volunteer and how would one go about putting there hand up to assist? it’s based in QLD if i’m correct??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do you follow them on FB @turquoisecoast? I believe volunteers are usually there to collect the donations from selected drop off points and organise their distribution to the places that need them. I understand too that the Sheroes (volunteers) go through all the bags/donations etc to ensure no inappropriate items are included.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (21-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    what do you mean huffing the spray??
    Huffing aerosols is a cheap/easy way to get an extremely damaging high.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is such an incredible cause and I will be putting together a couple of bags with my girls this week.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post: