+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Teeth not coming in straight

DD is 8 and has a crowded palate, her adult teeth have been coming in nicely until recently; now two of her front teeth are competing for space and becoming crooked.

We're seeing the dentist in a few days, I'm just wondering if any parents here have direct experience with this, and what we can expect (as I hear braces are not applied until teen years?).

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would expect they will suggest a plate in her mouth to expand her palate.
    I was given one at that age. However I didn’t wear it because I had sensory issues. Ugly teeth now

They widen the mouth first and then braces.
    My 12 year old has been dealing with this this year.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

BornToBe (21-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Teeth not coming in straight

My daughter had all her adult teeth by the age of eleven. She currently has a permanent expander that with arms that push her lower jaw forward as her nasal passage was blocked. Her teeth are very crooked. She needs to have the expander in for another 8-12 months and then she will get braces. The orthodontist said she is at a perfect time for her treatment as all her adult teeth are through. He said her 11 year old mouth is more like a 13 year old’s. I guess if your child has all their adult teeth then they can get braces.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

BornToBe (21-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter had perfect baby teeth and her adult teeth came in very crooked. The orthodontist our dentist referred us to recommended going straight to braces. He said that I would be wasting money with an expander plate because it wouldn't stop her needing braces. He also recommended putting the braces on with her teenage growth spurt as they are more effective and work faster when they are growing rapidly So she had checkups every couple of months for a year or so and he measured her at every appointment. When her growth sped up she got braces. From memory she was 11. She had them on for 18 months I think.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

BornToBe (21-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had top and bottom expander plates put on when I was 10. I was very tall already and stopped growing at 14, so my orthodontist said it was better sooner than later. I had severe buck teeth so the expander and front wire widened the front of my jaw and pulled the teeth back. Took about 2 years, I never needed braces and my teeth are still straight (had wisdom teeth removed at first sign they were impacting).

DD started showing signs of overcrowding at 8, took her to orthodontist at 9 and got expander plate. All was going brilliantly until one of her canine teeth went astray on it's way down. It was growing sideways in front of the root of the two front teeth. I won't bore you with the details of braces, surgery etc. But, in short, if she hadn't had this wayward tooth her orthodontist was very confident the expander plate would have been all that was needed to straighten her big, crowded teeth.

FWIW, DS's baby teeth are crooked and I asked the orthodontist. He said straight baby teeth rarely mean straight adult teeth and to not worry until his adult teeth start coming through.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

BornToBe (21-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all.
    I guess I'll be hoping for an expander plate to do the job, and to avoid braces. This is clearly recommended on a case by case basis. Dentist tomorrow but it sounds like they'll just refer me to an orthodontist if they feel it's warranted. She's my most sensitive kid so I hope she manages OK with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Thank you all.
    I guess I'll be hoping for an expander plate to do the job, and to avoid braces. This is clearly recommended on a case by case basis. Dentist tomorrow but it sounds like they'll just refer me to an orthodontist if they feel it's warranted. She's my most sensitive kid so I hope she manages OK with it.
    \

Modern braces seem to be a lot gentler than they were when we would have been teens. The first wire the orthodontist put on DD's braces was very thin and flexible. No real pain. He did replace 6 weeks later with a sturdier wire and she needed panadol, but apart from that she wasn't in an pain. A bit of discomfort yes. But nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

BornToBe (21-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids orthodontist is very honest, which is rare these days. He outright said, "You can put braces on early, before all their adult teeth come in, but if you do there is no guarantee that you wont also need to RE-DO braces later, because once other teeth start falling out and back ones growing, it can un-do all the work of the braces" So he highly recommends NOT putting braces on until they have all their adult teeth, about 13-14 at the earliest. .. Unless you want to pay 7K for braces TWICE!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel3072 For This Useful Post:

BornToBe (21-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD is 12 and has had her braces for 6mths so far.

We had to wait till she had lost all her baby teeth which was xmas last year and then waiting till that new adult tooth was descended into its place.

In prep for the braces we got facial xrays and also and xray of her forearm so they could tell by the growth plates how much growing she had left to do - as a PP mentioned its best to get the braces while they are growing if they have all their adult teeth.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

BornToBe (21-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel3072 View Post
    My kids orthodontist is very honest, which is rare these days. He outright said, "You can put braces on early, before all their adult teeth come in, but if you do there is no guarantee that you wont also need to RE-DO braces later, because once other teeth start falling out and back ones growing, it can un-do all the work of the braces" So he highly recommends NOT putting braces on until they have all their adult teeth, about 13-14 at the earliest. .. Unless you want to pay 7K for braces TWICE!
    Hmmm sounds like I'm going to need to spend the next 6 years saving up for the ruddy things... I'm certainly in no rush 🤣