+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My sister's children, my niece and nephew never acknowledge my gifts/greetings..

I was unable to make my nephew's wedding.
    i sent him and his wife money and then, later some gifts.

They never acknowledged either, but my sister said "they got the gifts and they said, "Thanks".

My niece, who is a 29 year old school teacher, is the same.

I sent her a gift for her birthday and told her, (if it didn't fit, I had the docket so she could exhange.) It was a pair of pj's as she loves them. I got her a disney pair.

My sister told me she opened up the gift but that is all she said, so not sure if she liked it or not. I asked my sister if they fitted and she didn't acknowledge.

But my sister did ask me if I could buy her an Ariel cushion from Adairs as her and her husband were buying her the Adairs bed cover.

I told her I would try and buy it.

I also sent my niece birthday greetings but she never acknowledged the message.

They live in another state and I don't get to see them much now.

I just wanted to know if this is relatively normal - to not acknowledge gifts.
    My sister wants me to buy the cushion for her daughter but I know it won't get acknowledged.
    I'll probably get it in anycase.

I don't know how I feel.
    Maybe I'm sending the wrong kind of gifts. I guess, It would be nice to hear from them...just a way of keeping in touch even if it is once a year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    To be honest I think her kids are a bit old to expect gifts from their Aunty for their birthday.

I think at minimum, sending a text to someone to say thanks for a gift is good etiquette. And yes, it does bother me when I post something to someone and they don't let me know they got it. It's not that I want to be showered with praise for buying them a gift, it's that I want to know that the item I spent time and money sending to them has actually reached it's destination.

You could consider sending them a text, something like "Hey niece, hope you are well. I have sent you a little something in the mail for your birthday - would you mind sending me a quick text when you receive it so I know it arrived safely? Thanks xxx". If you still continue to receive no acknowledgement, you can then decide if it's time to stop worrying about sending them stuff.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

BornToBe (19-10-2019),Gumnut222 (18-10-2019),JR03 (18-10-2019),LoveMyWay (18-10-2019),Mod-Wise Enough (18-10-2019),postie (19-10-2019),RmumR (18-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with the above poster i wouldnt expect to still be buying my nieces gifts once they are adults apart from significant occasions like wedding etc.

I get somewhat similar from my brothers family.
    I post my nieces bday & xmas gifts so they get to them on the actual occasion. I then have no idea if they receive or like their gifts unless i call or text to ask.
    In comparison my DD1 with a july bday got her gift 2wks ago when we saw them - better than my DS who’s bday was i march and still hasnt been acknowledged by them not even a text.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Gumnut222 (18-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do they send you birthday presents or messages?

I would say you will take them out for dinner next time you catch up as their present. Catch 22, they have to see you

Thanks
    Reviews
    My niece texted me tonight and said she is sending me a surprise parcel so I am pretty stoked. Feeling a bit bad now.....I had sent the text to the wrong number. Found her correct number and she said thanks for the pj's. Happy now. Yeah, I need to take them out for dinner -that's a good idea, next time I see them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default My sister's children, my niece and nephew never acknowledge my gifts/greetings..

Definitely rude of them not to give a thanks of some kind so don’t second guess yourself there. And I also agree, they are too old to be expecting gifts from you, especially if no/little appreciation is shown.

I get a card from my aunty (which I like getting) I think gifts stopped when we were past 18.

ETA: you sound like a very generous and caring Aunty
    Last edited by Yogis Mumma; 18-10-2019 at 23:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We live interstate from family, who kindly take the time to send birthday cards, Christmas gifts, to our young children. I can't imagine not acknowledging their gifts! I send a thank you text usually with a photo of the birthday child. I think to repeatedly receive gifts and not send thanks (understandable to forget once or twice) is incredibly rude and warrants being cut off for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The etiquette of gift giving says you should give expecting to receive nothing in return (ie thanks, another gift etc), however the etiquette of gift receiving says you should always thank someone for their gift and give something in return (a thank you note, a return gift etc).

At the moment it seems both parties need to brush up on their manners.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Mod-Wise Enough (19-10-2019),Mum-I-Am (19-10-2019)