+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 14 month old speech/developmental regression?

Hi all, I just wanted to see if anyone else has had any similar experiences.

My DS is nearly 15 months old and my third child. He has had a few medical issues but until now his development has been spot on. He started to talk before he turned 1, and said a few words “mama”, “dad”, “truck”, “dog”. He also started waving and clapping around 9 months.

For the last few months he has stopped saying all words. He babbles and makes noise but only says “da” in no meaningful way. He no longer imitates any sounds I make. He also no longer claps or waves. He very occasionally will point at something that interests him but won’t follow my point. He doesn’t nod or shake his head and doesn’t seem to understand requests (“where is Daddy?”, “bring me the car”), other odd behaviours include covering his ears often when overwhelmed and head banging when frustrated.

We thought there might be something wrong with his ear but that looks clear. He still needs to have a hearing test but he can definitely hear to some extent as he responds to noise.

He is however very social, affectionate, great eye contact and lots of smiles and laughs. Great gross and fine motor skills. He tries to play with his siblings.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of regression in language skills? I have heard regression in language can be associated with ASD but I just don’t feel he is on the spectrum (not that I know a huge amount about ASD though). I know he is young and everyone develops in their own time (and one of my other kids was late with speech) but I have never had a child go backwards in skills before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry this does sound like asd. My asd son did this. He was behind with a lot of physical milestones as a baby but he started to make sounds and small words on time but at 13 months he stopped. He forgot the couple of words he knew.
    His diagnosis ended up being intellectual impaired and asd. He had a long labor where his heart rate dipped for a while. At the time they told me he was fine. We never pursued it.

My second son was spot on with all milestones so I didn’t suspect asd at all. He didn’t start talking though and a few other things. At first I thought he may have just a development delay. By 4 years old he was obviously asd.

I would definitely be seeking professional opinions. The sooner anything is found the better for the child.
    X
    Edited to add throw out the idea that asd kids aren’t affectionate or can’t give eye contact. That drives me nuts that it’s put to the general public as a sign. My boys have always been affectionate and loved being around siblings etc. eye contact never ever a problem even as babies.
    Last edited by Bluebirdgirl; 16-10-2019 at 18:29.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

LoveMyWay (16-10-2019),Patience86 (17-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 14 month old speech/developmental regression?

Hello.

I don’t have much to offer in the way of asd advice but I know that my daughter head banged around that age. It used to make me so upset but a bit of online research showed that apparently it’s normal 🤷‍♀️ She’s now a very healthy 4yr old so headbanging in silo shouldn’t be a concern. I do really strongly recommend a hearing test ASAP though. My DD was very delayed in speech and it turned out that she had developed ‘glue ear’ so sounds were like she was under water. She had grommets fitted at 2.5 and her speech improved dramatically! Please do get his ears properly checked by an ENT that works in tandem with a hearing test facility. It’s always worth ruling out the simple stuff first. Best of luck x

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

Patience86 (17-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    Sorry this does sound like asd. My asd son did this. He was behind with a lot of physical milestones as a baby but he started to make sounds and small words on time but at 13 months he stopped. He forgot the couple of words he knew.
    His diagnosis ended up being intellectual impaired and asd. He had a long labor where his heart rate dipped for a while. At the time they told me he was fine. We never pursued it.

My second son was spot on with all milestones so I didn’t suspect asd at all. He didn’t start talking though and a few other things. At first I thought he may have just a development delay. By 4 years old he was obviously asd.

I would definitely be seeking professional opinions. The sooner anything is found the better for the child.
    X
    Edited to add throw out the idea that asd kids aren’t affectionate or can’t give eye contact. That drives me nuts that it’s put to the general public as a sign. My boys have always been affectionate and loved being around siblings etc. eye contact never ever a problem even as babies.
    Hi @Bluebirdgirl thanks so much for sharing your experience. I really know very little about ASD so it’s good to hear about others experiences and especially regarding eye contact etc. I have had a lot of people just tell me that I’m over worrying, that he will develop in his own time, or that he is probably just concentrating on his walking.... but the thing that concerns me is not that he is late talking, but that he used to talk and now doesn’t (he probably hasn’t said a word in 2 months).

He is under a lot of medical care at the moment due to his other medical issues and I have mentioned my concerns to his ENT and at an initial speech path appointment this week. I guess we will see how he’s hearing test goes and go from there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Hello.

I don’t have much to offer in the way of asd advice but I know that my daughter head banged around that age. It used to make me so upset but a bit of online research showed that apparently it’s normal 🤷‍♀️ She’s now a very healthy 4yr old so headbanging in silo shouldn’t be a concern. I do really strongly recommend a hearing test ASAP though. My DD was very delayed in speech and it turned out that she had developed ‘glue ear’ so sounds were like she was under water. She had grommets fitted at 2.5 and her speech improved dramatically! Please do get his ears properly checked by an ENT that works in tandem with a hearing test facility. It’s always worth ruling out the simple stuff first. Best of luck x
    Thanks so much for your reply! He is on the wait list for a hearing test and does have a bit of glue ear in one ear and may need grommets. We thought there was a congenital deformity with his other ear but that has been cleared thankfully! If he is having trouble hearing I def think that must be impacting his speech, but I have been confused as to why he is no longer making gestures as well.l 🤷‍♀️ I’m definitely hoping that once we get the glue ear fixed things improve for him!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Patience86 For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me (17-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Patience86 View Post
    Hi @Bluebirdgirl thanks so much for sharing your experience. I really know very little about ASD so it’s good to hear about others experiences and especially regarding eye contact etc. I have had a lot of people just tell me that I’m over worrying, that he will develop in his own time, or that he is probably just concentrating on his walking.... but the thing that concerns me is not that he is late talking, but that he used to talk and now doesn’t (he probably hasn’t said a word in 2 months).

He is under a lot of medical care at the moment due to his other medical issues and I have mentioned my concerns to his ENT and at an initial speech path appointment this week. I guess we will see how he’s hearing test goes and go from there!
    I hope it’s something other. Maybe he’s just had a lot more to go through and it’s causing a few issues but it’s not wrong to be concerned. X