+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Creche unhelpful what would u say to them

We ve had few incidents with Creche being what feels very unhelpful unprofessional even frustrating or infuriating .
    When we let them know that there r a few important things that can be done to help our baby who attends there all week 9.5 hour days 5 days a weekv
    when we told them very important info of possible delays in a few skills and small things that they can do to support him with these skills
    the chikdcare immediately responded that he’s home for a significant amount of times ??? ( weekends when 3 siblings keep us very busy ! )
    so we should do more when he’s home as they are already doing all the things that we and the maternal health nurse mentioned that would help him .
    the lack of interest or care really upset and frustrated me if he’s there 5 long days and they know weekends r so busy with other siblings home .
    Also with tpiketrainjng siblings they said same children r there 5 long days and they were refusing to toilet train much in those 5 long days . I see them dekayvtoiketing children till 4 even quite commonly . I finally had to push re toiletting and make it happen but at first they really were dragging their feet
    we don’t want to change centre
    and we don’t want to arouse their resentment
    but truly it’s not ok if a baby might have delays and they’ve shown no interest to be aware of a few simple things .
    Have others had such experiences . What would you say thank you
    Last edited by angela22; 15-10-2019 at 16:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly I’d sit back and reflect first.
    Are they being unprofessional and unhelpful? Or are they being honest that they are doing what can be done within their own limitations - time spent with your child, number of other children in the daycare they need to attend to also?

It seems they said they’re already doing the things you’ve suggested. Are you clear on what else you want?

The same limitations you identified about your own household - busy household, other children around on weekends etc, daycare would also have given the number of children they have to care for and their various needs.

Also given you didn’t seem to agree with the child health nurse’s assessment of small delays in your child ( assuming this is the same child) because your child does all these things at other times, is it possible daycare is also at a bit of a loss? Maybe bub does all the things the child health nurse identified that they weren’t doing, when they’re at daycare? So daycare isn’t sure what else they’re supposed to do.

Did the child health nurse recommend an OT or physio? If so, and they complete a documented plan then this could be given to the daycare to help them. Or did the child health nurse offer strategies? Here, if they did, the nurse would communicate with the daycare. Has that occurred?

Not saying your word shouldn’t be enough. Just suggesting that a clear documented plan from a health professional might provide clearer instructions and rationale.

As for the toilet training, my understanding is that centres should participate in the process but aren’t entirely responsible for it.

In my experience, daycare would communicate that DS was showing signs of being ready, and provide advice on what I could do at home. They would also agree to follow through with anything I had put in place. But they weren’t responsible for the process. It was up to me to a large extent.

I’d just make sure that your expectations are realistic.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mod-LIKE A BOSS For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (15-10-2019),Lincolns mummy (15-10-2019),Mod-DJ Nette (15-10-2019),Mod-Wise Enough (15-10-2019),Mum-I-Am (15-10-2019),RmumR (15-10-2019),shadowangel0205 (15-10-2019),SJ565 (15-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I think all you have said is true that it’s a time for reflection and that mhn can write or speak to them directly as well as physio when we see them in a few days . Thank you .
    And yes it’s possible our baby does many of the things though we weren’t sure during the assessment .
    I still think if it was me I’d want to b interested in what a parent was telling me Abd yes be a bit more intentional or deliberate to give attention to a few things that could be encouraged . I would never give a response like they did that they were doing it all so you need to do more . I’d more sure teachers were aware of what to encourage.
    I don’t feel their response showed care interest or respect .
    to me it remind me of people who make a legitimate complaint and yet instead of them dealt with properly they r blamed that somehow it’s theur fault
    although it’s different it’s similar to me as they are shirking interest or involvement or care . I don’t feel it’s appropriate caring or respectful .
    It also reminds me of people who when they hear someone say “ I don’t feel well “ they deflect it by saying oh well I don’t feel well either . I don’t think any of these r kind responsible responses . Even if they d b doing all they can , a centre can always show interest respect and let all stay know to pay more attention to certain things to support certain children . I might not say anything . The maternal heakth nurse or physio might . I might wait and see what happens . I could ask directly again for teachers to all b aware if they can to encourage ... certain small things .
    Last edited by angela22; 15-10-2019 at 18:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They are one of the hardest working, yet lowest paid careers out there.
    It’s hard to comment without knowing what you were asking them to do.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (15-10-2019),Mod-LIKE A BOSS (15-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Wise Enough View Post
    They are one of the hardest working, yet lowest paid careers out there.
    It’s hard to comment without knowing what you were asking them to do.
    I agree. It’s hard to know for sure whether they’re being unhelpful without knowing the specific requests and the context.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    how old is the child?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    how old is the child?
    If it's the child I'm thinking....... the op started a thread a few days ago about the MCHN having concern over their 12month olds development. So I'm *assuming* it's the same child. Possibly not though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You cant toilet train a 1 year old baby. It is biologically impossible.
    2 years old is average for even starting, although you will get some parents who time putting them on the potty conveniently at about 18 months and then try and say they are toilet trained as if it makes them a super parent or something, timing their childs pee.

So expecting the creche to toilet train a baby is not realistic.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel3072 For This Useful Post:

wobblermummy (16-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP, what do you want to happen, specifically?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What are you asking them to do? Specifically.