+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Trouble at Swimming Lessons

My eldest DD is 3.5 years old, she has been going to Swimming lessons for two terms and done "baby classes" so basically just mucking about and dunking under water etc. She was terrible at it, she has trouble listening and following instructions, but hey, she was in a baby class so no one cared really.

This term she was put into an actual "learn to swim" class, because she is under 4 they still recommend a parent go in, my DH went with her and the lesson was a disaster. Honestly it was the worst display I've ever seen from a child in my life.
    She actively screamed "NO" at the instructor when asked to do simple tasks and completely ignored her and proceeded to jump all over the place and be disruptive. My DH is useless in times like this and our DD knows it, everyone ended up frustrated and angry by the end of it all.

We decided later that day to pull her from lessons until she is older and hopefully will be able to listen more and pay attention more.
    Half the problem I am sure is that we are there, she does dance class and loves it, you aren't allowed to be at dance class it is a "dump and run" class, can't do that at swimming.
    When I called and spoke to them about pulling our DD we were met with a bit of anger from them, told we should persevere etc but I know my kid and know she won't improve at the age she is now and her attitude.
    Some friends have also given their disaproval and now I feel like maybe we have done the wrong thing. But I don't see the point if she isn't actually learning anything - if anything she is causing other kids in her class NOT to learn because the instructor spends too much time asking her to listen and not jump about.

What ages did your kids start swimming lessons and when did they actually start to learn to swim?
    TBH I didn't learn until I was about 7 or 8. We live in a coastal town so swimming is essential.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would pull her out and keep taking her to the pool yourselves for fun water play.

My two eldest learnt to swim last summer at 4.5 and 6.5. It had been delayed for ages and I was really worried it was too late but they picked it up no problems.

The teacher there (in his 60s, grew up on the beach, used to professionally swim, has been running our local pool and teaching kids to swim for 25+ years) said the most important thing is to keep it fun, if lessons aren't working don't force it because they can develop a bad association with the water itself. Just keep up pool visits.

My 4.5yr old mucked up heaps for the first half of the term, she was nervous/tired. She would refuse to get in, or get in then get straight out. He didn't worry about, I just kept taking her for fun swims, eventually she came around and now is a great swimmer at 5.5 and loves her lessons.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Mod-Wise Enough (15-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with @GreenMama. It’s ok to pull her as long as you keep taking her yourself so it never becomes a thing.
    My girls started lessons at 18 months and could swim at 3 and 2. However we have a pool so it wasn’t just swimming lessons that taught them.
    At school they do swimming lessons for two weeks. I remember as they were assessing them one mum watching her DD saying “omg she’s hopeless”. But I don’t know what she was expecting given she had never taken her DD to swimming lessons 🤷‍♀️. Our kids weren’t born knowing!

Most swim places you don’t hop in the pool with them at 3. I would try a different swim school next time if you have a choice.

If people judge you say you’re not stopping swim lessons, you’re taking a break from them. Yes they’re important, but so is a good association with water. Also when my sister tried to stop my nephew once he could swim laps she was also guilted and made to feel like a bad mum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would pull her aswell and take her yourself

Ds2 started lessons earlier this year at 2.5 I was not the water aswell but it was not considered a “baby” class. When he turned 3 in July he was put into another class where I do not get in the water with him. All our classes are run by the ymca by our aquatic centre

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mine could swim independently around the pool by age 3.5 or younger. I wonder if she would do better without a parent in with her. Both the swim schools we’ve been to stop having parents in by age 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with @GreenMama. It’s ok to pull her as long as you keep taking her yourself so it never becomes a thing.
    My girls started lessons at 18 months and could swim at 3 and 2. However we have a pool so it wasn’t just swimming lessons that taught them.
    At school they do swimming lessons for two weeks. I remember as they were assessing them one mum watching her DD saying “omg she’s hopeless”. But I don’t know what she was expecting given she had never taken her DD to swimming lessons 🤷‍♀️. Our kids weren’t born knowing!

Most swim places you don’t hop in the pool with them at 3. I would try a different swim school next time if you have a choice.

If people judge you say you’re not stopping swim lessons, you’re taking a break from them. Yes they’re important, but so is a good association with water. Also when my sister tried to stop my nephew once he could swim laps she was also guilted and made to feel like a bad mum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn’t pull her out after one lesson. I would give it at least another go. Could you go in instead? You said they ‘recommend’ a parent go in, would they let her go in on her own?

Does she do this often with your DH or only at swimming?

What type of strategies did the teacher use to get your DD back on track?

Swimming really is a life skill in Australia. So I would be reluctant to stop without some other options. Are there other swim schools or classes available?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would give it another couple of goes before pulling her out. Can you go in with her? Or even just have a term off

My ds hated swimming lessons (still isn't a fan) but I took him for at least 3 weeks I think before pulling him out and having a break for a term. Then he was a bit better to go.

Perhaps even ask for a different teacher. Dd had to go through a couple before we found the right swim teacher for her

Thanks
    Reviews
    For whatever reason, she's not ready at this stage - I think it's perfectly fine to put a pause on things for the time being. I have a lifelong fear of heights because I was 'forced' to go rock climbing as a kid so it's not always helpful to push kids into something they're not ready for.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elevatormusic For This Useful Post:

RmumR (15-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I pulled my 4 year old out of swimming lessons for the exact same reason. She just wasnt ready to participate properly. Now she is nearly 5, we are starting in the new year.
    Baby classes are fine for water awareness, but not a lot of kids actually learn to swim properly under 5 anyway, co-ordination wise.

I wouldnt stress, the chances are the instructors are more peeved at losing the fees than the actual child's progress.

It's not like doing swimming lessons early is going to mean you dont have to watch them in water. I agree with the other poster who said, just go to the pool and have fun. Start lessons when they're ready. The main reason for baby lessons are basically so they arent scared or water...your child doesnt seem scared at all.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel3072 For This Useful Post:

Kalina (15-10-2019)