+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default TTC before PHI kicks in! Too risky?!

Would love to hear from some couples who have started the TTC journey before their 12m waiting period is up!

Ideally I’d like to be well into my pregnancy before my waiting period is up.
    I have huge regrets in reducing it, however nothing I can do to change it now.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A friend unfortunately fell pregnant very early in unexpectedly before ttc, their baby was born 1 month before phi kicked in. Because they hadn't lasted the 12 months couldn't use their phi cover in the private hospital they wanted; opted to still use private ob but in the public sector.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wobblermummy View Post
    A friend unfortunately fell pregnant very early in unexpectedly before ttc, their baby was born 1 month before phi kicked in. Because they hadn't lasted the 12 months couldn't use their phi cover in the private hospital they wanted; opted to still use private ob but in the public sector.
    If we were to TTC this month then it would place us at 34wks which is probably a little too late stage for my liking.
    We had one semi accidental ttc moment this month before my nerves kicked in and made me think maybe we should wait another month.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my friend tried to conceive the month she signed up for PHI. she's 36 and doesn't get regular period. never monitored or checked ovulation. she thought it'd take a while but nope, FIRST cycle!! so she'll be 3 months short when her baby girl is due. she's going public although she preferred private, due to family history of complication during pregnancy.

best bet is to wait at least 4-6 months after signing up for PHI to start TTC. (just in case bub comes before due date). if you try, there's a chance

5. The Following User Says Thank You to looking4babyDEE For This Useful Post:

crunchymumma (16-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by looking4babyDEE View Post
    my friend tried to conceive the month she signed up for PHI. she's 36 and doesn't get regular period. never monitored or checked ovulation. she thought it'd take a while but nope, FIRST cycle!! so she'll be 3 months short when her baby girl is due. she's going public although she preferred private, due to family history of complication during pregnancy.

best bet is to wait at least 4-6 months after signing up for PHI to start TTC. (just in case bub comes before due date). if you try, there's a chance
    Yes, we have waited 4.5m already I so so so regret dropping it down now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If it's super super important to you, wait one more month, but realistically the best premie services are usually in public hospitals.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

crunchymumma (18-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    we upped our cover in april last year. i was pregnant barely 3 months later. the 12 month waiting period would’ve been served basically 3 weeks before dd’s due date. i had an elective however 5 days after the cover kicked in. had anything gone wrong or i’d gone early, we wouldn’t have been covered. it was super important to me to have my choice of OB and i wanted to deliver in a private hospital. we ended up googling (upon advice i received on here) for industry funds that may have 9 month waiting periods. ended up switching to uni health (dh is a sessional uni lecturer in addition to his usual job) so we qualified. ended up being covered from jan this year instead of having to wait until april. massive relief. google funds that have 9 month waiting periods, you may find one you’re eligible to join.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

crunchymumma (18-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    we upped our cover in april last year. i was pregnant barely 3 months later. the 12 month waiting period would’ve been served basically 3 weeks before dd’s due date. i had an elective however 5 days after the cover kicked in. had anything gone wrong or i’d gone early, we wouldn’t have been covered. it was super important to me to have my choice of OB and i wanted to deliver in a private hospital. we ended up googling (upon advice i received on here) for industry funds that may have 9 month waiting periods. ended up switching to uni health (dh is a sessional uni lecturer in addition to his usual job) so we qualified. ended up being covered from jan this year instead of having to wait until april. massive relief. google funds that have 9 month waiting periods, you may find one you’re eligible to join.
    They used to have a lower degree of cover. Might have changed since the reforms though

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with teachers health (industry fund) and got it because of 9m waiting period for maternity, they provide me with excellent no gap coverage I can't fault them, but according to billing Dr's/hospitals I am with one of the best for covering everything

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    They used to have a lower degree of cover. Might have changed since the reforms though
    we switched to top hospital and they covered everything. almost $12k for the c section and hospital stay plus i transferred to the grand hyatt and did two nights there. everything including room service was covered.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Izy (16-10-2019)