+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Travel hints needed 1 year old baby 3.5 year old twins and other children

i'd love please some Travel hints for long flights overseas and trip to usa in snow and cold winter with a 1 year old baby 3.5 year old twins and other children
    entertaining them on flght
    managing cold
    did you take pusher/stroller on the plain and if so which
    do youknow about the babyzen yoyo pushers that fold into a back pack size
    or do you know about their much much cheaper copies and if they are too flimsy or heavy or if they are good too as difference of $500 or more or $80
    did you take a carseat and extra seat for 1 year old or so
    how did you manage in taxis or uber do they allow children in the back without car seats.
    i read that uber allow children over 3 without carseats if strapped in back seat belt
    activities hints snacks on plane
    i was told to make sure we have as many aisle seats as possible that we might have to pace up and down plane to entertain 1 year old baby
    any other hints please.
    i hear water bottles baby bottles kids bottles the pressure makes the water come out soaking bags unless theya re carefully each in ziplock bags
    i'd love any other hints re usa or cold or airoplane or stopovers which will be around 3-5 hours

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i can’t really comment beyond the babyzen yoyo plus. yes it’s cabin size which means you can use it right to the departure gate. i wheeled dd onto the plane in it (she was tiny so this was in the newborn nest). i just managed to get it down the aisle in business class however in economy (and this was the dreamliner), no way. it’s too wide/aisles are too narrow. so be prepared to fold it up and pop it in the overhead bin right away as it won’t be much/any good to you onboard. it’s super handy for the airport though. i rented mine, you could look at that as an option however it may work out expensive if you’re overseas for a while. can’t comment on the ebay cheapies as i’ve never used one, however my friend bought one and swears by it. i’m sure it would be fine if it’s brand new, they probably aren’t built to last for years and years however.

Thanks
    Reviews
    wow thank you
    Is there any chance please of asking her which of the cheapies she bought please as there are so many and maybe some are nastier than others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For the snow, it depends realistically how much time you plan to be outdoors and the sorts of activities you'll be doing. My experience is in Canada, not USA, but a lot of people just don't walk much outdoors through winter, e.g.. there are early morning walking groups that walk the shopping mall at 7am before anything opens. Also, capsules are used a lot longer as it's easy to keep baby warm in them when going from the car.

I did walk a lot and a pram with big wheels/tyres was a must. It's a bit like pushing a pram through thick, loose stones/gravel. The paths are usually salted and scraped but can be sludgy or icy. The more 'used' the path, like touristy areas, the better it was maintained.

For clothing, get cold gear there from eg. Wal-Mart. I got cheap fake fur lined boots that didn't slip on the ice for $30Aud. Outer-layer clothing will be cheaper but if you arrive towards the end of winter it will be out of stock.

Dressing needs a thin under-layer then a very warm outer layer. Buildings are kept very warm and you need to be able to quickly take of jackets etc and put them back on again. You also shouldn't wear bulky jackets with seatbelts/car seat straps, for safety reasons.

There's a big difference between areas and times of year in terms of coldness. If you're up north USA (Niagra falls in winter is amazing!!!) in the height of winter it can be -20 degrees or lower, colder at night. Young children cannot go out in that level of cold because of how thin their skin is (frostbite risk). But if it's not the middle of winter or you're not right up the top of the States, then it will be the same as if you go to the snow here - cold, but pretty easily manageable, thick jeans with a big puffer jacket are ok for just wandering around. Ski type outers if the kids are going to be playing in or falling on the snow. Thick socks are a must!

We bought a cheap car seat over there as we stayed a while. The standards are different, even USA to Canada. Don't know about ubers etc as this was before they started.

I always prefer a sling/body carrier for planes and check in the pram at the gate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angela22 View Post
    wow thank you
    Is there any chance please of asking her which of the cheapies she bought please as there are so many and maybe some are nastier than others.
    i can’t recall which one it was but she said they’re all much of a muchness

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Travel tips...

I hired a Plane Pal for our recent Bali trip for my 2yo. Meant she could lay down to sleep during the flight. Check with your airline first to see if they’re allowed. There are a few different types.

Food! For my DD when we travel I make sure we have plenty of food for her. Traveling with 3 kids, you could just about take a carry on bag just for snacks. Even when my DD was around 1, I could keep her entertained with food. Mostly 2-3hr flights.

Colouring in: you can get some water pen colouring in books for the 3.5yos. Saves taking loads of pencils etc that they may drop everywhere. The crayola brand have quite a few different types. They’re usually the ones in the big foil packets.

Also tablets/iPads. They have their place. Load them up with games they enjoy, you can download shows/movies to watch on Netflix before you fly so you don’t need Internet. Make sure you’ve got headphones too so you (and other passengers) don’t have to listen to a million episodes of Peppa on repeat Also a couple of favourite books. Maybe only 1 each though as they do get heavy.

I did take a pencil case with pencils and a blank book for my 2yo to Bali. Meant she could scribble to her hearts content. I also bought loads of cheapie stickers for her to stick in her book too. I went a bit overboard - she’s still got heaps left over, but what kid doesn’t love stickers!

I’ve had experience with leaking water bottles on flights too (bbox) due to the pressure in the plane. I was pleasantly surprised on our return trip from Bali though that the Camelback drink bottle DD has didn’t appear to leak. I had changed the mouthpiece/valve but immediately prior to our flight over but didn’t use it on the way there because I was worried about leaking. Having to hold on to DDs half full cup of water was much more annoying. Surprisingly I couldn’t find a kid sized pop top water bottle in Brisbane airport before we left, which is what I was going to use on the plane instead.

Whenever I’ve flown with DD from 7m I’ve always had her in the ergo. Makes it so much easier being hands free. That way I can leave her strapped to me and generally calm until they’re getting ready to take off. Get the 1yo to breast/bottle feed etc on take off/landing to help with ear pressure. Give the 3.5yos a treat of a lollipop etc to suck on for the same reason.

If you’re wanting good/affordable warm underwear check out Uniqlo’s heattech range. Designed to keep you warm without a bazillion layers.