+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Broken pelvis in kids

My 8yo was practicing riding her bike without training wheels (yes we left it late!). She stood up to stop but braked hard and her pelvis hit this bit that sticks out between the handlebars. It was a hard hit, she’s very big for her size so the momentum was strong. She was really upset afterwards and incredibly tired that night.

My sister is a paramedic who broke her pelvis this year and believes my DD has broken hers. I got xrays done but often only an MRI will pick it up. Every symptom fits what my sister had.

My DD is happy but still says she’s sore.

Has your child ever broken a pelvis? What symptoms did they have?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have no idea, but just wanted to say I hope your DD is alright.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Mod-Wise Enough (09-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She wouldn’t be able to walk with a broken pelvis, maybe with the exception of a tiny hairline fracture. It would be extremely painful.

What are her symptoms?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds incredibly painful! No advice but I hope she's ok

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could it just be bad bruising? I broke my coccyx in a car accident age 13 and sitting for any period of time would equate to searing pain whenever I moved, straight into my sacrum. I know it’s not the same, but if she’s describing it as “sore” instead of “painful” then maybe it’s just bad bruising? There’s a lot of stuff in there that she could have bruised, especially if she hit it with force.

I’d go with your gut feeling. If you think it might be a fracture then push for an MRI. If the doctors/you/your daughter aren’t too fussed about it then perhaps wait and see. It’s hard when someone else is projecting their own experiences on to you. I don’t mean it in a bad way, but had your sister not broken her pelvis then it’s probably not even something that would even be on your radar.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    She’s walking around and gives the pain 5 out of 10. She finds it painful to run. When the dr examined her he went all over and she said it doesn’t hurt, except when he got to where her undies line on her leg both sides, the actual bruised bit in the middle, and when he lifted up one of her legs it hurt when tilted one way. Standing on one leg is painful. Bowel motion hurt the other day but I’m not sure it’s related.
    I think I will give it till Monday then push for the MRI.

My sister was able to move around when she fractured hers, but hers was a stress fracture from running a half marathon up a mountain . She had to keep climbing in and out of the ambulance.

I put a lot of word in what my sister says as twice she has told me she thinks DD has broken something, and twice she has been correct. So she has a good track record. She broke her arm falling over at school, and her finger at basketball.

Thanks for all the replies and sympathy ❤️

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (09-10-2019),Mum-I-Am (09-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to explain I’m pushing for answers because she does swimming, tennis, basketball and little aths. My dad is also pushing her to get back on the bike to practice. I’m not sure whether to push or rest. I reckon she would claim she’s sore for ten years to get out of riding her bike again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can’t offer advice but what ever she has I hope she is able to heal. It could also be that the area is now bruising and hurting more. I know when I hurt my knee and ended up in emergency in April the ambo seriously thought I’d blown my patella , alas I hadn’t thank god just very badly bruised. Dd had an accident a month ago and figured out how to unlatch the baby gate. She went down 15 steps to the bottom and only had a small bump on her head. She was extremely lucky she didn’t break a bone but I know she would of been sore for a few days after

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    She seems good today! I’m relieved.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (10-10-2019)