+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Colposcopy..... what to expect?

Hi ladies, looking to hear experiences from anyone who has had a colposcopy before. I am having one on Wednesday and a biopsy of a large lump on my cervix. My latest smear came back normal but since I have ovarian and breast cancer on my mother’s side and numerous aunties and cousins with abnormal cells on my fathers side, my GP wants the lump looked at.
    She suspects it is a Nabothian Cyst but did mention that it is bigger then any she has seen before and again given my family history would rather have it biopsied.
    All the medical professionals tell me it really is no different to a Pap smear in terms of feeling and what happens but just want to hear first hand from anyone who has had one or anyone who has had any sort of lump on their cervix and what it actually was?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My colposcopies were 20+ years ago, but I don't see that they could change that much.

They need a better view for longer, so for mine I was in stirrups or one of those chairs/beds with the foot holders, speculum used as normal. And they use a set of binocular/microscope looking things to have a good ole look see!

Male GPs/gynos assure me that there are no nerves in your cervix so you shouldn't feel anything with a PAP or this, it appears my cervix never got that memo. Like a PAP, it's a bit scrapey feeling. They paint a dye on with a long cotton tip and any abnormal cells (papilloma virus infected cells) change colour. They will then typically take a small biopsy or scrape of the cells for testing. If no colour change and nothing else odd then they'll pack you up to go.

It took a few tries to get rid of my abnormal cells so I had 4 colposcopies all up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

ceejie (08-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one last year. It just takes longer than a Pap smear, i didn't feel the instrument take the tissue out although it bled a bit. Most of the discomfort will be from the speculum being in place, adjusted and readjusted so the doctor can see properly. They apply a dye, use a scope to look inside, take tissue out, apply something to stop the bleeding and prevent infection. Like i said i didn't feel all of that, just the plastic speculum which was no fun at all, they were like biting the sides of my vagina. The doctor showed me the tissue sample taken, very small. Advised me not to do anything strenuous for the rest of the day, and avoid putting anything in there/ have intercourse for two weeks. I only had spotting for one day then i was fine. The results came in after two weeks.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to joyjen For This Useful Post:

ceejie (08-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by joyjen View Post
    I had one last year. It just takes longer than a Pap smear, i didn't feel the instrument take the tissue out although it bled a bit. Most of the discomfort will be from the speculum being in place, adjusted and readjusted so the doctor can see properly. They apply a dye, use a scope to look inside, take tissue out, apply something to stop the bleeding and prevent infection. Like i said i didn't feel all of that, just the plastic speculum which was no fun at all, they were like biting the sides of my vagina. The doctor showed me the tissue sample taken, very small. Advised me not to do anything strenuous for the rest of the day, and avoid putting anything in there/ have intercourse for two weeks. I only had spotting for one day then i was fine. The results came in after two weeks.
    Thanks. I never thought about bleeding.... should I take a pad just in case?

I’m not worried about the procedure itself, I’m really nervous about the results

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejie View Post
    Thanks. I never thought about bleeding.... should I take a pad just in case?

I’m not worried about the procedure itself, I’m really nervous about the results
    Liner should be enough. Yeah, the waiting is terrible. My husband is a pessimist most of the time and kept bringing worst case scenario. Mine came low risk but i have to do more tests every year to keep track of things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot about the no intercourse afterwards bit! I didn't bleed after any of mine. They will be able to tell you right away if there are abnormal cells as the dye will pick them up. The tissue testing just tells you how 'progressed' they are. Best of luck, given it's just precautionary hopefully it will be uneventful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dr couldn’t see or feel it so I feel like I wasted everyone’s time
    Absolutely nothing wrong with my cervix, she showed me on the screen as she was doing it and told me it is beautiful..... nothing to see or biopsy whatsoever.
    Think maybe I’m going insane.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejie View Post
    Dr couldn’t see or feel it so I feel like I wasted everyone’s time
    Absolutely nothing wrong with my cervix, she showed me on the screen as she was doing it and told me it is beautiful..... nothing to see or biopsy whatsoever.
    Think maybe I’m going insane.
    That's great news! I think given your cancer history it's better safe than sorry, so definitely not a waste of time!

Your GP wanted the lump checked, so there must have been something there (my cervix is too high for me to feel so I don't actually know what a cervix should feel like, lol). Maybe there was a little inflammatory thing (like a mouth ulcer I guess) which has healed itself. Not an expert though but it sound like whatever it was it's gone now (which cancer doesn't do!)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

ceejie (11-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That’s pretty much what the Dr said too, it may have been a fluid filled cyst like my GP suspected and has burst which is completely normal and happens often. She has offered to refer me for an internal scan if I can feel it again but I’m feeling a lot better about it now. Family history is what was stressing me the most I guess.

It was really cool being able to see it all up close as it’s not a part of the body mist people get to see but yea, all in all she said I have a healthy looking cervix and child birth hasn’t affected it in the slightest

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    My colposcopies were 20+ years ago, but I don't see that they could change that much.

They need a better view for longer, so for mine I was in stirrups or one of those chairs/beds with the foot holders, speculum used as normal. And they use a set of binocular/microscope looking things to have a good ole look see!

Male GPs/gynos assure me that there are no nerves in your cervix so you shouldn't feel anything with a PAP or this, it appears my cervix never got that memo. Like a PAP, it's a bit scrapey feeling. They paint a dye on with a long cotton tip and any abnormal cells (papilloma virus infected cells) change colour. They will then typically take a small biopsy or scrape of the cells for testing. If no colour change and nothing else odd then they'll pack you up to go.
    exactly the same here. i had one 20 odd years ago for consistently abnormal pap smears. it was uncomfortable for sure but less pain than i thought. the actual biopsy felt like a paper punch, no pain. it spotted for about a day after then nothing.