+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPopsicle View Post
    well my nearly 7yr old gets a little giggly and show offy towards my 10yr olds friends...
    didnt learn it from me and she doesnt have any friends outside school to learn that off.
    I don’t know what’s going on with the original poster but you might be surprised what little kids know even if it’s very innocent.
    I can remember having crushes on boys in grade one and playing catch and kiss at age 6 lol
    I would say we had seen it on tv as my mum was single with no boyfriends.

Personally I would ignore this kid as much as possible. She’s definitely looking for a rise because you have noticed her behaviour.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle (06-10-2019),SuperGranny (10-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 6 and 8 yo girls. (And also a son).
    Lets flip this question, if a little boy behaved the same way, would we assume he was flirting? I doubt it. We would just say he was 'showing off'.

Kids can certainly play adults off one another. But I don't think I would call it flirting in a 6 year old. I don't actually think its important whether she is 'flirting' or not, she is 6.

Whats more important is that she is called up for inappropriate behaviour such as kicking you, and that all the adults show a united front in redirecting. 6 IS a hard age for girls and they are developing at a fast rate but that sort of behaviour is never OK.
    Last edited by Neraka; 06-10-2019 at 19:16.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neraka For This Useful Post:

Mod-Wise Enough (06-10-2019),SuperGranny (10-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can little girls flirt?

Hello.

Just putting this out there to read. There’s a theory called the Electra complex which was coined by Freud. If you’re into your psychology then it’s worth a read. I think it’s pretty normal for little girls to get a bit obsessive and possessive about their Daddies and Freud’s theory explains why. From a short term perspective I’d try to remain non plussed, non reactive and nonchalant about her behaviour. She maybe trying to elicit a reaction and your boredom with it it will make it wane with her I’m sure. Always remember to stand your ground tho, kicking you or losing respect for you should never be on, Freudian stage or not!

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/expl...hat-is-it/amp/

IMG_4070.jpg

Edited. Apologies. It’s Carl Jung, not Freud although the takeaway is still the same. It’s a developmentally normal thing for a daughter to have phases of being obsessive and possessive over her father.
    Last edited by amiracle4me; 06-10-2019 at 21:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Hello.

Just putting this out there to read. There’s a theory called the Electra complex which was coined by Freud. If you’re into your psychology then it’s worth a read. I think it’s pretty normal for little girls to get a bit obsessive and possessive about their Daddies and Freud’s theory explains why. From a short term perspective I’d try to remain non plussed, non reactive and nonchalant about her behaviour. She maybe trying to elicit a reaction and your boredom with it it will make it wane with her I’m sure. Always remember to stand your ground tho, kicking you or losing respect for you should never be on, Freudian stage or not!

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/expl...hat-is-it/amp/

Attachment 101713
    a) electra complex was developed by jung,
    not freud. his theory was oedipus complex.

b) the above theories are based on greek mythology.

c) i wouldn’t be taking seriously or basing my every day reality on “theories” developed by two men from another century that were based on greek fairytales.

i think giving any substance to the notion a 6 year old could be flirting (in the true adult sense of the word) based on the ramblings of carl jung is dangerous and foolish.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Kalina (06-10-2019),Mod-Wise Enough (06-10-2019),Stretched (07-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    a) electra complex was developed by jung,
    not freud. his theory was oedipus complex.

b) the above theories are based on greek mythology.

c) i wouldn’t be taking seriously or basing my every day reality on “theories” developed by two men from another century that were based on greek fairytales.

i think giving any substance to the notion a 6 year old could be flirting (in the true adult sense of the word) based on the ramblings of carl jung is dangerous and foolish.
    Wow. No need to be rude. I may have had my theorists muddled but it’s still psychology 101 taught for all first year Psche students out there. I didn’t say OP should follow it to the letter, it’s more putting it out there for her critical thought. It’s called information giving.
    Last edited by amiracle4me; 06-10-2019 at 20:49.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

Kalina (06-10-2019),LoveMyWay (06-10-2019),Mum-I-Am (07-10-2019),shellzand (06-10-2019),stacey10 (06-10-2019),SuperGranny (10-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My eldest is 5 and I don't believe she would understand etc. To be honest, it sounds like normal kid behaviour, playing parents off each other. My DF blew a raspberry at my 3yo the other day buckling her into the car. The whole trip she said she didn't like daddy, she loves mumma, mumma is her best friend etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Wow. No need to be rude. I may have had my theorists muddled but it’s still psychology 101 taught for all first year Psche students out there. I didn’t say OP should follow it to the letter, it’s more putting it out there for her critical thought. It’s called information giving.
    I don't think the reply given was rude, just to the point.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Kalina (06-10-2019),Mod-Wise Enough (06-10-2019),turquoisecoast (06-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    My eldest is 5 and I don't believe she would understand etc. To be honest, it sounds like normal kid behaviour, playing parents off each other. My DF blew a raspberry at my 3yo the other day buckling her into the car. The whole trip she said she didn't like daddy, she loves mumma, mumma is her best friend etc. I don't think the reply given was rude, just to the point.
    Yes, I agree. It’s totally normal behaviour. My 4yr old daughter outright told her Daddy that she preferred me to him last week. This week she’s all over him like a rash. I do however think the previous poster could have been a bit more accepting of other people’s input. Jung maybe ancient history by now but it’s all still interesting to read about as he’s still a respected psychologist/philosopher. I also have learned experiences with this particular topic which is why I felt it relevant to add into the mix of others replies. I’m sure OP is capable of coming to her own conclusion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i’m familiar with the works of freud, jung etc and i can appreciate their contribution however i believe it’s dangerous to apply their theories literally to real life scenarios in 2019. apologies if my forthrightness caused offence, it was unintended.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me (06-10-2019),Mod-Wise Enough (06-10-2019),Neraka (13-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I’m going to go against the grain here and say yes, 6 years olds (boys and girls) can flirt BUT not in the sexual sense of adults. To them it’s innocent, usually a way of “buttering up” or getting the person they are “flirting” with, to like/accept them. The fact you have recently started pulling her up on her behaviour towards your dd, and given from the sounds of it other adults in her life don’t, it sounds like she is using this “sweet and innocent” flirty behaviour as a way to get on your dh’s good side and be seen as the “good” kid. Ultimately, she is trying to play you off against each other. What she is doing isn’t from a place of sexuality, she’s merely trying to highlight to him that she is a good kid and you are being a meany.

Ignore it. Guarantee once she sees it gets no reaction from you, she will get bored of it.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me (06-10-2019),LoveMyWay (06-10-2019),Neraka (13-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I feel really really uncomfortable using flirting as a description between an interaction between an adult and a small child

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

BettyV (07-10-2019),Calstar (08-10-2019),Lincolns mummy (07-10-2019),LoveMyWay (06-10-2019),Mamasupial (07-10-2019),Mod-LIKE A BOSS (07-10-2019),Mum-I-Am (07-10-2019),PomPoms (06-10-2019),SheWarrior (06-10-2019),turquoisecoast (07-10-2019)