+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Grey vomit

Bit of background story...
    My dd baby#5 is now 5 days old. She was born at 37 weeks + 4 days, via emergency c section after a long long attempt at labour (I had previous 4 natural no complication births) after birth, they Fed her her first feed of formula, against my wishes 🥺 as I was longing and looking forward to that first latch and always wanted to breastfeed.
    The next day she was sent to the NICU as she had trouble being able to stablislze her low blood sugars. Eventually, with medical intervention, she stabilized and we were released to go home the next day.
    Baby now has mild Jaundice, which I know is common, and is improving slowly day by day.
    But this morning she had a vomit, but it was grey in colour. I've never experienced this b4.
    Is this normal? What could it be?
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not sure what it could be.

I would suggest you take her to a doctor and get it checked out.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

FourPlusOne (03-10-2019),LoveMyWay (03-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Call Health Direct on 1800 022 222
    They're registered nurses, and have reassured me a few times when it comes to babies, either that it's normal or that I wouldn't be overreacting by heading into the ED.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

FourPlusOne (16-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Grey vomit

being only 5days old and not long discharged id call the post natal section of the hospital youve been at and speak to one of the midwives

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

FourPlusOne (16-10-2019),LoveMyWay (03-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don’t know how much help the midwives would be over the phone. I’m one and I’ve got no idea what grey vomit means in a 5 day old. I’d have to see it to have any idea. 5 days down the track seems a bit late for all the usual suspects (amniotic fluid/mucous, meconium, old blood etc).

Call Health direct/13 Health etc and chat to the nurses there. I know 13 Health has child health nurses who you can talk to that might be of use.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

FourPlusOne (16-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i would seek immediate medical help, go back to the delivering hospital. nobody can assist you on an online forum and taking advice off here would be negligent and dangerous. call the hospital and tell them you’re worried about bub and want her checked out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    Don’t know how much help the midwives would be over the phone. I’m one and I’ve got no idea what grey vomit means in a 5 day old. I’d have to see it to have any idea. 5 days down the track seems a bit late for all the usual suspects (amniotic fluid/mucous, meconium, old blood etc).

Call Health direct/13 Health etc and chat to the nurses there. I know 13 Health has child health nurses who you can talk to that might be of use.
    I meant the midwives might be able to advise on the best option of where best to take the baby to be seen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely get bub to see a mw or Dr asap.
    Did you catch it on anything?

At 6 days old, My eldest vomited up a very dark green. I was very freaked out and described it to the midwife as exactly like poo. They didn't believe me... I was still having home visits because of him still losing weight.
    This particular midwife had been at home twice that day (initial to weigh him... discovered he was still losing so she came back later to help with feeding through a supply line) she did yet another visit to check him again after my call.
    Although she said he wouldn't have vomited up mecronium, she came. He'd got his white jumpsuit, so I showed that to her... aaaand then things changed!

She was instantly on the phone to the pediatrician at the hospital over who insisted they wanted to see him ASAP. So we were loaded up into an ambulance and raced over....up in arrival they did all sorts of tests.

It was really scary as a first time mum... but thankfully it wasn't anything *bad*. Basically, I just had NO milk. His body knew it needed to get the mecronium out, and because he wasn't getting mum to flush it out normally (poo), he vomited it up.

A few days with formula topups while we worked on increasing my supply and he was fine .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

FourPlusOne (16-10-2019)