+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Longshot - Painters / Bathroom renos Brisbane / plus general painting questions

Longshot -

1. Can anyone recommend a decent painter in Brisbane? Northside to be exact.

My house is heading towards desperately needing painting. Had one person in for a quote today and I have a feeling it is going to come in for more than I can afford.

2. Can anyone recommend a bathroom reno company - Also found out that my shower is leaking and need to work out whether or not to just reseal it (knowing that I will need to gut the bathroom at some point in the future) or bite the bullet now do the whole bathroom. A portion of flooring under the shower is black (can look from under the house) and it needs to be addressed.

Was going to ask on a local facebook page, but I noticed that the same people are mostly recommending the same tradies on all the local facebook pages and it is hard to know who is a customer and who is a friend. Mostly seems to be a group of tradie friends all recommending each other. *sigh*

Vent - I hate my kitchen and really want some issues fixed up but it looks like that will never happen.

3. Oil based gloss paint vs Water based paint for skirting board and deck stain.
    I always thought oil based was the best, but I've now had two painters push waterbased because oil based will yellow overtime. I'm not convinced because the oil feels so much nicer and I really think it will last longer too. Ditto for the deck stain. The painter today was pushing waterbased decking stain and touching up on an annual basis. Thoughts?
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 27-09-2019 at 22:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ill ask DH who painted our house and pm you. It was so expensive but he was the middle quote and did a good job.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel (28-09-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi pages. You can post what you want done on there. Who ever pays for the lead gets access to your details to contact you to arrange a quote. People can also independently review what they of the trades

Also with your bsthroom do you know what is leaking is it the bridging piece in the wall

With painting to compare here in SA I paid $400 for 1 days worth of labour last week to redo bathroom ceiling, the back door sealed and painted and the en-suite door painted.

I supplied all the paint, cheaper to do and any left overs you keep

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're having our house built in west of Brisbane at the moment and painting will be almost finished by next week. The painters are great, took their time and listened to my husband's instructions rather than the builder.

Oil based is easier for them to apply from what I've heard but we insisted water based on the skirting, cornice, door frames and doors because they are all white and yes, oil based will yellow in time. It's in gloss and after two coats they look great. As our house has heaps of windows there is more chance of sun / weather exposure so the oil based was a no no for him.

I forgot the name of the company, I'll PM you when I see them next week. They said they're just a small crew so idk if they go northside. What we also loved is they sprayed the undercoat only for the walls, then the two coats over were both applied using rollers.
    Last edited by joyjen; 28-09-2019 at 04:42.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to joyjen For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel (28-09-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
    Ill ask DH who painted our house and pm you. It was so expensive but he was the middle quote and did a good job.
    Thanks @Mum-I-Am. Mine will be very expensive too. Lots of prep work needed, steep block which requires scafolding hire because the back of the house is very high off the ground. ie big $ before they even start painting. The guy I had in today apparently spends a considerable amount of time prepping and does a top notch job which will then last longer but you pay for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Hi pages. You can post what you want done on there. Who ever pays for the lead gets access to your details to contact you to arrange a quote. People can also independently review what they of the trades

Also with your bsthroom do you know what is leaking is it the bridging piece in the wall

With painting to compare here in SA I paid $400 for 1 days worth of labour last week to redo bathroom ceiling, the back door sealed and painted and the en-suite door painted.

I supplied all the paint, cheaper to do and any left overs you keep

Was that one person for 8 hours? $50 an hour?

It seems to be leaking around the door. I've been getting carpenters in for quotes on some other maintenance work around the house and when I took one under the house to inspect some waterdamage in my bedroom, looked up under the bathroom and saw black. It seems to be leaking around the screen door.

Builder / carpenter # 1 = said just resilicone the shower door.

Builder / carpenter # 2 - said I could reseal the whole shower and would need to remove the shower door and get it reinstalled or maybe replaced. He thought it could buy me 10 years, but and the big but is that if I wanted to sell in that timeframe it would come up in a building inspection report and would be an impediment to the sale of the house He was concerned about constant water supply feeding already weakened and mouldy flooring and the waterproofing being compromised. Under the bathroom is what the builders are calling yellow tongue / is compressed flooring sheeting. I am concerned because the black mouldy bit is right next to expensive hardwood flooring that I am getting quotes on getting repolished and I don't want it becoming waterdamaged.

Waterdamage is becoming a theme for this house - on the other side of an insurance claim for leaking roof and water damage in my bedroom and found a minor leak in the external wall on the other side of my bedroom last weekend that has done some further damage. It is never ending and I am over it.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 28-09-2019 at 07:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by joyjen View Post
    . What we also loved is they sprayed the undercoat only for the walls, then the two coats over were both applied using rollers.
    How did that turn out? I had a painter spray oil based primer on skirting boards / window sills in my bedroom a week or two ago and the result was crap because there were airbubbles in paintwork. The gloss paint feels like sandpaper in spots. He was there doing insurance claim stuff

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Was that one person for 8 hours? $50 an hour?

It seems to be leaking around the door. I've been getting carpenters in for quotes on some other maintenance work around the house and when I took one under the house to inspect some waterdamage in my bedroom, looked up under the bathroom and saw black. It seems to be leaking around the screen door.

Builder / carpenter # 1 = said just resilicone the shower door.

Builder / carpenter # 2 - said I could reseal the whole shower and would need to remove the shower door and get it reinstalled or maybe replaced. He thought it could buy me 10 years, but and the big but is that if I wanted to sell in that timeframe it would come up in a building inspection report and would be an impediment to the sale of the house He was concerned about constant water supply feeding already weakened and mouldy flooring and the waterproofing being compromised. Under the bathroom is what the builders are calling yellow tongue / is compressed flooring sheeting. I am concerned because the black mouldy bit is right next to expensive hardwood flooring that I am getting quotes on getting repolished and I don't want it becoming waterdamaged.

Waterdamage is becoming a theme for this house - on the other side of an insurance claim for leaking roof and water damage in my bedroom and found a minor leak in the external wall on the other side of my bedroom last weekend that has done some further damage. It is never ending and I am over it.
    One person and he got it done in 7 hours. The ceiling was a lot of work. It all needed scraping back then sanding then sealing, sanding, base coat, sanding, then 2 top coats and he sanded between each of them. Same process for back door but it was all new and raw still. En-suite was staining to match the colour work to the skirtings. Couldn’t fault him worked hard all day

If you can get a builder or carpenter to do a moisture reading on the wall behind where the shower head is aswell just to see how high the moisture goes.

Houses are the money pits.

If you could afford to draw equity you could just lash out on a new bathroom ! So all the demo work and cut down costs like that. That’s how ive saved when doing work on my place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    One person and he got it done in 7 hours. The ceiling was a lot of work. It all needed scraping back then sanding then sealing, sanding, base coat, sanding, then 2 top coats and he sanded between each of them. Same process for back door but it was all new and raw still. En-suite was staining to match the colour work to the skirtings. Couldn’t fault him worked hard all day

If you can get a builder or carpenter to do a moisture reading on the wall behind where the shower head is aswell just to see how high the moisture goes.

Houses are the money pits.

If you could afford to draw equity you could just lash out on a new bathroom ! So all the demo work and cut down costs like that. That’s how ive saved when doing work on my place.
    I don't have a mortgage as such but do have money I borrowed a couple of years ago to do work around the house. ie nil balance on mortgage but I believe I can redraw at anytime as the mortgage has not been discharged. Better confirm that one with the bank actually. I also have savings I could use / am using to do other stuff around the house. I just don't wanna spend the money.

Yep houses are money pits.

Exh and I rennoed a bathroom cheaply years ago. He did the demo and resheeted. We then hired tradies to do wetsealing, tiling and install new toilet. All tiles, vanity and maybe even the toilet were bought on the cheap. Prob cost us $3k all up.

The difference was that exh could do the grunt work and I was a SAHM and had time to get separate tradies in to do each job.

Fast forward to now, working full time, time poor, coordinating everything myself and driving around town to find the cheapest of everything seems daunting.

ETA I had a termite guy in 18 months ago who supposedly did moisture readings all over the house. He missed the fact a wall in one bedroom wall had major water damage behind it and said my shower was perfect. Idiot. When the insurance guys checked the bedroom wall, the moisture buildup was as bad as it can get. After that I have a hard time trusting anyone.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 28-09-2019 at 08:59.