+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default To those with other children (11yr+)

How do you get time to watch your own TV shows (E.g: Something on Netflix).
    At the moment my young ones (7yr and 10yr) are asleep by 8.30pm (as a family we watch a movie until around 7.50pm and then it’s reading and lights out).
    Then by around 9pm my husband and I have time to watch a bit of Netflix.
    I’m assuming that in the next year or two my 10 year old won’t want to be asleep by 8.30pm!! (By age 11/12 yrs of age I’m assuming it’s later). So I’m dreading not having adult time to watch my own show seeing the TV is always taken over by the kids when they’re around!
    So how do you do it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Most things I watch are stuff my 12 year old dd and I (and even the younger ones) watch together. We are pretty chill with stuff like that. More grown up stuff like Shameless I watch when they’re in bed. Fwiw, my 12 year old is usually in bed by 8.30, sometimes earlier. Not necessarily asleep but in bed. We also had a tv in our room for this reason too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a DD15 and a DD12. DD12 goes to bed early enough on school nights but is up to 10pm in holidays and weekends. DD15 goes to bed around 10pm on school nights and when she wants in the holidays.

We have another TV that they can watch their shows on, although they have Netflix on their laptops so they watch their shows on there. I change the password if they don't do their homework first and choose the option that everyone has to sign-in again. I've only had to do it once.

We watch our shows at around 9:30-10pm. That said DP plays X-box on our TV sometimes I sit and watch him play other times I watch Netflix on my laptop.

DD15 is up late in the holidays e.g 11pm or so. She usually keeps to herself in her room, although comes out to talk often enough. There are times that she sits on the couch and watches what we are watching.

Like all things that are parenting you adjust. Five years ago the thought of having either DD up until 11pm would have sent me into a panic, now it works how it works. We are pretty relaxed as we are night owls, so in all likelihood they will be too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My eldest Dd is 12 and is in bed by 830 school nights - they honestly need the sleep!

On weekends or school hols she might be up a bit later but still usually in her room reading etc by 9

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    My eldest Dd is 12 and is in bed by 830 school nights - they honestly need the sleep!

On weekends or school hols she might be up a bit later but still usually in her room reading etc by 9
    It’s great that your child goes to bed by 8.30. I wish mine did. My DD has fought sleep and going to bed since she was 2.5 y/o. Yes I’d put her to bed early enough, she’d be up 50 times. Between those 50 times she’d get changed into different clothes, “rearrange” her wardrobe, practice handstands up against the wall, pick her clothes for the next day, put the blinds up to look outside (in the dark), talk endlessly to her teddy (or herself if she had nothing else in her room). When she was 5 she was not falling asleep until 9/9.30 every night. Now at 11, we are lucky if she’s in bed by 9. She doesn’t go to sleep until at least 10/10.15 most nights. She’d happily sleep until 9 each morning if she could.

OP, both of my kids are up until at least 9pm. Until recently I’d just not watch TV, but now we have a smart TV in our front lounge so sometimes I watch TV in there, using Bluetooth headphones. I warn the kids if I’m watching shows that are inappropriate for them which they understand.

ETA - it’s 10.20pm and both kids have just gone to bed. They’ve decided to sleep in the same room so it’ll be ages til they go to sleep. #gottaloveschoolholidays
    Last edited by GirlsRock; 23-09-2019 at 21:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 11 yo DD goes to bed earlier than my 6yo DS! He's always been allergic to sleep! I make him go to his room for quiet play at 9pm when DD goes to bed. It's the only way I can get an hour of grown up TV! I like some stuff that's really not for kids, like the Handmaids Tale, so I often end up staying up too late just to watch it. DS usually goes to sleep around 10-10.30 (up at 7.30), at his age DD slept 7-7!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 9yo DD is in bed by 8.30, wish it was 8pm! DS who is 13 goes to bed at 9.30pm - also wish that was more like 9pm but he’s always been a bad sleeper. We watch kid friendly shows while DD is up but a bit more adult shows with DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We may watch shows with the kids (almost 10, & 12) till around 8-8.30 and after that it’s quiet time in their room till bedtime. Otherwise if we want time to ourselves at night to watch something, we just strait out tell them, that we would like some adult time now, and they will go do their own thing. They don’t mind and I think it’s important they know that we like to spend time alone as much as we like to spend time together.