+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    156
    Thanks
    135
    Thanked
    35
    Reviews
    0

    Default Government benefits - birth of child

    Hi all, are there benefits payable to PAYG contractors - i.e. not employed by a company but via a recruiter?

    I am not technically self employed but as a contractor on PAYG terms, I don’t get paid when I don’t work. Since getting pregnant in early June, I’ve only worked for 1+ month . So technically speaking I may only have worked 9+ months before I’m due, not quite 10.

    Prior to that, I was not working for about 4-5 months coming out of a redundancy. Was taking advantage of the time to focus on getting pregnant.

    Am I still potentially eligible for government benefits? As I’m not an employee as such, I’m not entitled to benefits such as maternity leave etc.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,742
    Thanks
    2,106
    Thanked
    2,742
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdface View Post
    Hi all, are there benefits payable to PAYG contractors - i.e. not employed by a company but via a recruiter?

    I am not technically self employed but as a contractor on PAYG terms, I don’t get paid when I don’t work. Since getting pregnant in early June, I’ve only worked for 1+ month . So technically speaking I may only have worked 9+ months before I’m due, not quite 10.

    Prior to that, I was not working for about 4-5 months coming out of a redundancy. Was taking advantage of the time to focus on getting pregnant.

    Am I still potentially eligible for government benefits? As I’m not an employee as such, I’m not entitled to benefits such as maternity leave etc.
    Jumping in even though a few weeks ago, as far as what centrelink told me, you need to be employed by the company and for 12 months to qualify for the government leave if 18 weeks paid.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,725
    Thanks
    879
    Thanked
    2,325
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simyt View Post
    Jumping in even though a few weeks ago, as far as what centrelink told me, you need to be employed by the company and for 12 months to qualify for the government leave if 18 weeks paid.
    It’s been a few years since I claimed PPL, but that doesn’t seem right to me.

    You don’t need to have worked for the same employer. You need to have worked for 10 of the last 13 months for at least 1 day per week. You can’t have more than an 8 week gap between working.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    13,952
    Thanks
    9,619
    Thanked
    10,048
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simyt View Post
    Jumping in even though a few weeks ago, as far as what centrelink told me, you need to be employed by the company and for 12 months to qualify for the government leave if 18 weeks paid.
    That's incorrect info sorry. You can swap employers many times. It's the hours worked within a time frame that counts.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,742
    Thanks
    2,106
    Thanked
    2,742
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OK no worries then she was wrong but you certainly do have told be employed a certain length of time right?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    490
    Thanks
    337
    Thanked
    1,008
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Simyt View Post
    OK no worries then she was wrong but you certainly do have told be employed a certain length of time right?
    My u der standing:

    The 12 months employment with the employer is usually to be allowed 12 months unpaid maternity leave with your job held secure for you.

    If you have worked with a single employer less than that you might not be entitled to your job back after 12 months (even if you were eligible for PPL due to working with another employer prior to that)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,878
    Thanks
    4,453
    Thanked
    7,029
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My understandong was you had to have worked 330 hours in the 12 months before birth.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

    Birdface (14-10-2019)

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,878
    Thanks
    4,453
    Thanked
    7,029
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can get the government paid maternity leave whether self employed, payg or with an employer. Check out the centrelink website under paid parental leave.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,878
    Thanks
    4,453
    Thanked
    7,029
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

    Birdface (14-10-2019)

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    156
    Thanks
    135
    Thanked
    35
    Reviews
    0
    Thank you all! Hope I meet the work test and at least is eligible for this. Whilst I haven’t worked 10 months but would have easily done more than 330 hours within the 10-month period. 🤞🏼

    Are there also other Govt benefits that are available for new parents?


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13-10-2009, 22:23
  2. Sciatic pain prior to birth of child - did it get worse while in labour?
    By Little Gorilla in forum Birth & Labour Questions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-05-2008, 22:10
  3. Birth certificates/childs rights
    By skyebee in forum Single Parents
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 26-03-2008, 20:44
  4. birth certificates, child support and the fathers name
    By chrysalis in forum Single Parents
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 20:34
  5. Man Killed Celebrating Birth Of Child
    By OscarTheGrouch in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-06-2006, 18:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
ProSwimProSwim Rostrevor runs learn to swim classes for children and adults. Lessons are run during the Summer months ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Anyone else have a homozygous MTHFR gene?Conception & Fertility General Chat
Show me your sewing! #3Crafts and Hobbies
Toilet TrainingConstipation, Toilet Training
Naughty November TTC 2019Conception & Fertility General Chat
TWW and ExerciseConception & Fertility General Chat