+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Government benefits - birth of child

Hi all, are there benefits payable to PAYG contractors - i.e. not employed by a company but via a recruiter?

I am not technically self employed but as a contractor on PAYG terms, I don’t get paid when I don’t work. Since getting pregnant in early June, I’ve only worked for 1+ month . So technically speaking I may only have worked 9+ months before I’m due, not quite 10.

Prior to that, I was not working for about 4-5 months coming out of a redundancy. Was taking advantage of the time to focus on getting pregnant.

Am I still potentially eligible for government benefits? As I’m not an employee as such, I’m not entitled to benefits such as maternity leave etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdface View Post
    Hi all, are there benefits payable to PAYG contractors - i.e. not employed by a company but via a recruiter?

I am not technically self employed but as a contractor on PAYG terms, I don’t get paid when I don’t work. Since getting pregnant in early June, I’ve only worked for 1+ month . So technically speaking I may only have worked 9+ months before I’m due, not quite 10.

Prior to that, I was not working for about 4-5 months coming out of a redundancy. Was taking advantage of the time to focus on getting pregnant.

Am I still potentially eligible for government benefits? As I’m not an employee as such, I’m not entitled to benefits such as maternity leave etc.
    Jumping in even though a few weeks ago, as far as what centrelink told me, you need to be employed by the company and for 12 months to qualify for the government leave if 18 weeks paid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simyt View Post
    Jumping in even though a few weeks ago, as far as what centrelink told me, you need to be employed by the company and for 12 months to qualify for the government leave if 18 weeks paid.
    It’s been a few years since I claimed PPL, but that doesn’t seem right to me.

You don’t need to have worked for the same employer. You need to have worked for 10 of the last 13 months for at least 1 day per week. You can’t have more than an 8 week gap between working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's incorrect info sorry. You can swap employers many times. It's the hours worked within a time frame that counts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OK no worries then she was wrong but you certainly do have told be employed a certain length of time right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK no worries then she was wrong but you certainly do have told be employed a certain length of time right?
    My u der standing:

The 12 months employment with the employer is usually to be allowed 12 months unpaid maternity leave with your job held secure for you.

If you have worked with a single employer less than that you might not be entitled to your job back after 12 months (even if you were eligible for PPL due to working with another employer prior to that)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My understandong was you had to have worked 330 hours in the 12 months before birth.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Birdface (14-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can get the government paid maternity leave whether self employed, payg or with an employer. Check out the centrelink website under paid parental leave.

Thanks
    Reviews

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Birdface (14-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all! Hope I meet the work test and at least is eligible for this. Whilst I haven’t worked 10 months but would have easily done more than 330 hours within the 10-month period. 🤞🏼

Are there also other Govt benefits that are available for new parents?