+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Hives (?)

Has anyone (or their child) had Hives before?

On Tuesday night DS had some patches on his body that were some form of skin irritation - like welts. DH thought maybe he'd been bitten by a flea or something and it had been crawling around in his pants biting him (we don't have pets though).

He had a shower and after an hour or so most of them were gone, but he still has patches popping up on various areas of his skin (even the face) but then they go away after a little while.

Do these sound like Hives? He has no known allergies. We haven't changed washing powder or anything like that. The only potential foods he's been exposed to that aren't from his typical range are strawberries (only had trace amounts at feeding therapy) and also a Dominos ham pizza (he normally has pepperoni only).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely sounds like hives, especially the way they 'move' from one place to another. My DD gets them from wattle pollen contact (I'm also allergic to this). DS had them once about 2 years ago but we've never determined the cause as he's never had them again. I give telfast and phenergan which eases them but they usually need a day or 2 to pass completely.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (19-09-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, DD2 has had them. Same as your DS, just random pop ups, started with one then more would appear. Primarily on leg with a couple on her chest and back.

We gave her phenergan (she slept that night hahahaha) on the dr's recommendation and they were almost all gone the next day.

We didn't do anything different and hadn't changed anything and to this day I don't know what caused them.

I had them myself a while ago, all over my legs. Don't know what caused that either but I couldn't even bear clothing touching me.

Might have perhaps been the strawberries? Apparently they can cause hives (from what I've been told, not sure if that's right or not).
    Last edited by Molros; 19-09-2019 at 11:44. Reason: Typo

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Strawberries can definitely cause skin reactions. My kids and mother who get eczema can’t eat a lot of strawberries otherwise they get a flare.

The last time I had hives I was barely itchy. It’s strange.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks ladies - he’s still getting itchiness/welts. I gave him some Claratyne this afternoon which will hopefully help settle things.

If it’s still present tomorrow afternoon I’ll make a gp appointment.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hives (?)

When I was younger I would get hives from strawberry milk, I know not real strawberries but every time without fail. I still only have a few sips now & that’s enough for me, anymore & I break out. Strange.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMooMumma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has a reaction to strawberries, if she eats them or touches them she gets a red rash. Strawberry flavored is generally ok (they usual don’t have real strawberries).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (20-09-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Thanks ladies - he’s still getting itchiness/welts. I gave him some Claratyne this afternoon which will hopefully help settle things.

If it’s still present tomorrow afternoon I’ll make a gp appointment.
    I don't find claratyne does anything for me. DD got some wattle in her eye a couple of weeks back and even telfast didn't make much of a difference, but phenergan did (allergy eye drops work best for this but chemist was closed).

If it's not settling on its own I'd definitely try something else. Lucky/unlucky for me phenergan doesn't make me or my kids drowsy or hyper.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (20-09-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I don't find claratyne does anything for me. DD got some wattle in her eye a couple of weeks back and even telfast didn't make much of a difference, but phenergan did (allergy eye drops work best for this but chemist was closed).

If it's not settling on its own I'd definitely try something else. Lucky/unlucky for me phenergan doesn't make me or my kids drowsy or hyper.
    I’ve never tried DS on phenergan - I had it once when I was 13 years old and it did not go well for me at all (I thought the ceiling was going to fall down on me and I couldn’t stop kicking my legs ).