+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Smart watch for kids?

So DD is turning 10 in a few weeks. She's been banging on about wanting a phone. Supposedly all her friends have one That's not happening.
    BUT...as she's getting older I would like to give her a bit more independence. For instance at MDS's rugby games she wants to be able to go off with a friend to the playground and wander a bit. I'm OK to an extent since it's usually very family friendly, kids everywhere but I'd also like to be able to check in if I can't find her.
    Also we live 5 minutes from the school. There's a few kids around and they might start walking to school and back next year. She'd be home about an hour before I get home from work.
    The reason I don't want to get a cheap mobile is mainly because she'd probably lose it and I don't really want her having another "device." She already has a tablet and laptop for school.
    So after this long winded post, does anyone have one of those watches that can make and receive calls to select numbers?
    I've been looking at some and they all seem so big and cumbersome and I'm not a fan of the monthly subscription. But if they work really well I'd consider it.

I'd love any input on this. I also have two older boys but they didn't even think of asking for phones until high school. It's starting so much earlier now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was looking at this but just got her a phone. I know it’s super early to have a phone, so I drew up a contract and she must obey the rules or she loses it. So far so good! From my point of view it’s made my life easier. If you do decide to get a phone look at Oppo or Huawaii (sp??). My DD is 8, introducing it so young is actually good as none of her friends have one yet so she can’t contact anyone but us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Aren't there phones around that are made for kids with special plans etc that you can restrict to certain numbers?
    I also know after looking around my iPhone that you can restrict stuff like screen time once you exceed it, the phone can't be unlocked any more perhaps that might allow you to restrict numbers that she can call or get calls from?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would prefer a phone since I know they're cheaper but I'm worried she'll lose it. Also at places like rugby where she's off playing it might be a hassle to carry it around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mason98 View Post
    Aren't there phones around that are made for kids with special plans etc that you can restrict to certain numbers?
    I also know after looking around my iPhone that you can restrict stuff like screen time once you exceed it, the phone can't be unlocked any more perhaps that might allow you to restrict numbers that she can call or get calls from?
    I'll have to look into this. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just re-read that post please excuse my bad english.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD is 12 and for the last 2yrs has been using a spacetalk smart watch.

Its super user friendly.

I set the numbers she can call/text and the numbers who can text/call her - anything else gets blocked

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    My DD is 12 and for the last 2yrs has been using a spacetalk smart watch.

Its super user friendly.

I set the numbers she can call/text and the numbers who can text/call her - anything else gets blocked
    Do you find it bulky because that's my worry

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm curious @CanadianKangaroo how did this end up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mason98 View Post
    I'm curious @CanadianKangaroo how did this end up?
    We ended up just getting a cheap phone. I'm still thinking about the watch though. Maybe for Christmas.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CanadianKangaroo For This Useful Post:

Mason98 (15-10-2019)