+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help please - 6 weeks and non viable?

Hi, pls help. First day of last period 2/8/19 so I would have been 6 weeks Friday. Had a blood test but dr won’t give results over phone even though I’m 3 hours away. Had internal and the other scan. Got told no fetal pole seen and no cardiac activity, I’m having zero pregnancy symptoms and I’ve been spotting and brown discharge continuously for about a week now. Scan also says peri-sac haemorrhage <25%
    Gestational sac present MSD 11mm
    Yolk sac present
    Embryo present CRL 6.1
    Uncertain viability.

Can anyone tell me if these combined with the bleeding and slight lower belly cramping. (Very slight) would mean a miscarriage? It’s 2 weeks before I can get down to the dr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can only give my opinion.
    I never get pregnancy symptoms until 7 weeks for a start so that might not mean anything for you that you have none.
    Your period might have been on time but you may have ovulated later in the cycle and at this point days mean a lot so a few days out could make the difference between seeing something and not.
    With my third I had some bright red bleeding. I was unsure of dates so I had a scan and found that I had a bleed around the sac like you and that I was estimated 5 weeks 4 days. No fetal pole just a sac. Come back in two weeks they said.
    The bleeding stopped and I started feeling sick and two weeks later my daughter was visible. She’s now 12.

A friend was also told at a 6 wk scan her sac looked wrong shaped and the pregnancy wasn’t viable but now he is 10.

I have no experience with seeing an embryo and no heartbeat.
    I think it is possible though? Maybe someone else will know.

Sorry to hear this has all been very difficult for you.
    Last edited by Bluebirdgirl; 16-09-2019 at 09:41. Reason: .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It may just be too early.
    I’m currently 9.5 weeks pregnant. By my calculations when I went for my first scan at 8 weeks, I was only measuring 5.5 weeks. Sac present and the faintest embryo but no heartbeat. Told to go back in 2 weeks as it could have just been too early and Ob didn’t want to call it a failed pregnancy yet. I wasn’t positive as I was certain of my dates. But I went back 2 weeks later and baby had grown and measured 8 weeks with a visible heartbeat.

I hope this is the case for you. Many women experience spotting. It can mean nothing or something.

Hard I know, try not to worry until you know more.

Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbleBubble View Post
    It may just be too early.
    I’m currently 9.5 weeks pregnant. By my calculations when I went for my first scan at 8 weeks, I was only measuring 5.5 weeks. Sac present and the faintest embryo but no heartbeat. Told to go back in 2 weeks as it could have just been too early and Ob didn’t want to call it a failed pregnancy yet. I wasn’t positive as I was certain of my dates. But I went back 2 weeks later and baby had grown and measured 8 weeks with a visible heartbeat.

I hope this is the case for you. Many women experience spotting. It can mean nothing or something.

Hard I know, try not to worry until you know more.

Good luck x
    Thanks ladies. Would a blood test in a week help? Wouldn’t it show HCG levels had dropped if the pregnancy wasn’t viable?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would be getting another scan in a week. Seeing a gest sac without heartbeat isn’t uncommon at that gestation. Some people spot during pregnancy and I know I had cramping and lower back pain in all my pregnancies. I also agree it’s a bit early for symptoms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
    I would be getting another scan in a week. Seeing a gest sac without heartbeat isn’t uncommon at that gestation. Some people spot during pregnancy and I know I had cramping and lower back pain in all my pregnancies. I also agree it’s a bit early for symptoms.
    This.

2 of my successful pregnancies started with a scan like yours. The first one I was told it wasn’t a viable pregnancy although my bloods were fine. A repeat scan 2 weeks later showed a healthy heartbeat and little blob. She’s now 3 years old.

Next one I was over 6 weeks but there was no fetal pole detected. Again had a follow up scan 2 weeks later and the heartbeat had just started. I wasn’t as far along as I had originally thought. He’s now 4 months old. I also had bleeding with him.

I would be requesting a follow up scan in 2 weeks and repeat bloods to make sure hcg is rising. Spotting and cramping can be normal in pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    too early imo. i wouldn’t be looking at any of this stuff until the 8 week mark. my lmp with dd was 04/08 (last year obviously) and i has my first scan at 8w 5d which was start of october. unfortunately i think it’s a bit too early to say which way it’ll go. fingers crossed it all turns out perfectly. oh and congrats!! x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is the wording quoted from the report? It’s confusing. No fetal pole seen and then embryo measuring 6.1 mm. If u have no fetal pole seen then the sac (at that point in time) is empty but it isn’t as they could measure the fetal pole. Anyway, no professional should call it either way unless it’s over 10 mm or at least two scans showing no growth or no heart beat. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I quoted that from the report. And I had the sonographer call another in and say I can see a tiny baby. Then after a bit more looking they liked and me and said very sadly I’m sorry but there isn’t any cardiac activity and I can’t see a fetal pole

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropicrider View Post
    Yes I quoted that from the report. And I had the sonographer call another in and say I can see a tiny baby. Then after a bit more looking they liked and me and said very sadly I’m sorry but there isn’t any cardiac activity and I can’t see a fetal pole
    There wouldn’t be any cardiac activity as you would need a fetal pole to have any cardiac activity. Which makes me wonder (I’m an obstetric Sonographer) what they were measuring if they could have a fetal pole of 6.1 mm but say there was no baby???
    You need a repeat scan in 7-10 days unless anything happens between now and the next scan. If you can, get another blood test two to three days after your last one to see what your HCG levels are doing. It’s possible that you are just too early to see anything as you may have ovulated later or the embryo implanted later or both.

Fingers crossed that it all works out for you.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ali13 For This Useful Post:

Myztik (17-09-2019),Tahli (16-09-2019)