+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Aldi.... what’s good and what’s not?

So I am going to start shopping at Aldi due to trying to decrease our shopping budget. However I don’t want to waste money on items that aren’t that flash! So Aldi shoppers what’s your must haves on your weekly shopping list and what should i steer clear of?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarylee View Post
    So I am going to start shopping at Aldi due to trying to decrease our shopping budget. However I don’t want to waste money on items that aren’t that flash! So Aldi shoppers what’s your must haves on your weekly shopping list and what should i steer clear of?
    I don't mind the meats but some are cheaper elsewhere. Their boneless butterfly chicken is yummy! And we often have their kebabs and marinated wings.

Our locals veg are hit and miss but like anywhere you check it out before you buy them.

I buy staples - flour, sugar, cheese, tomato, pasta, rice, tin tomatoes, cream, sauce bases like spag bol, stir fry etc, sauce, bottled water, sometimes milk, instant mash potato. Not as nice as deb but still perfectly fine. Ham, salami, cocktail franks/hotdogs. Lebanese breads, Turkish bread, rolls etc I find their bread ok for toast but I prefer other brands in a sandwich. Salt, pepper, herbs, eggs, bacon garlic all fine!'

The kids love their "pringles", and the choc wafer biscuits. I prefer their butternut snaps to the arnotts in my coffee!

Their chocolates are hit and miss the kids love the double times (kitkats), I don't like their lollies but we and my dad do.

I prefer their honey (the squeeze one) over any other brand.

I'm not keen on their personal products like soaps, makeup etc but I know others who like them

Df likes their honey wheat cereal, tuna and crackers, dips, custard

I buy a lot of frozen things - snack foods for the kids (party pies, frozen pizza, sausage rolls, dinosaur nuggets), pastry, peas, corn, mixed veggies, stir fry veg, potato gems, chips. The kids like their knock off ice creams- utopia (magnum) and mint crowns (mint cornetto)

My dad drinks their port and beer, but I wouldn't say that's a good recommendation. I'm sure I could bottle used dish or toilet water, slap a beer label on it and it'd be the nicest beer he's ever tasted 🤦‍♀️

They do a small assortment of baked goods. Apple rounds are yum, brownie bites delicious. Mud cake is ok. Not as nice as woolies. The ganache is "set"/solid but the cake is moist. Banana bread - kids scolded me and refused to eat it
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 15-09-2019 at 21:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    All fruit, veg, meat, dairy, frozen food, dry food and cleaning products are good. I've never bought any of their bakery items, so can't comment on those.
    I like their face creams, cleanser and exfoliator, large pump body wash, liquid hand soap and kids body wash.

Some definite yes items:
    Trimat advanced washing powder and di-san oxy laundry soaker rated second behind OMO gold.
    Logix platinum dishwasher tablets.
    Tandil Ultra dishwashing liquid.
    Longlife custard.
    All of their cheeses.
    Marinated buffalo chicken wings (cold section).
    The quiches and ravioli in the cold section.
    Soy crisps.
    Frozen - beer battered chips and potato wedges, tempura nuggets, puff and shortcrust pastry, beer battered fish, mini quiches.
    Corn chips, grain waves, mini packets of peckish (can't remember aldi's name) crackers, any of their school snacks.
    Tinned tomatoes, dry pasta, passata.

I still need to go to Woolworths for baby things and some toiletries, so I tend to go there first and browse the aisles for specials as it can sometimes be cheaper if they have good specials, and I like to go to the butcher's as well. If you just want to go to one place though, Aldi is cheaper overall.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    dh loves the brownie bites

all up i’d say aldi is great, i just find it limiting when they don’t have one or two items i want. i went last week for instance, and got a roast pork shoulder plus pork ribs and a few other bits and pieces for a roast pork and slow cooked ribs. they have everything i need except applesauce. just stuff like that where you go argh, now i have to make a separate trip to coles for one item 🤦🏼‍♀️

my mum reckons their lacura brand toiletries and cosmetics stuff is ok but i’m a bit dubious. i’ve used the handwash previously and i find it very drying.

their smoked ham is delish. we also love the brioche croissants and slider buns. ds drinks a2 milk and they sell that which is a huge plus as it means i can get most things for ds there. a huge drawcard is the novelty factor of doing your grocery shop and having a browse up the middle
    aisles for the special buys. you go in for bread, milk and apples and leave with a wheelchair and a chainsaw

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    the palazzo bickies are good too. not overly sweet and you can’t go wrong for $1.40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The only thing I have issues with is there 3 star mince is so fatty.

Everything else I’m happy with.

I was hesitant with the nappies a few years ago but I’ve never had an issue with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Chocolate and kettle chips are delicious!
    Cleaning products are great, and the thick Baby wipes are our chosen ones (over huggies etc)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have to say as much as i wanted to love it, the moser roth choc doesn’t float my boat. aldo’s jaffa cake biscuits are however

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    The only thing I have issues with is there 3 star mince is so fatty.
    The grass fed 4 star is good.

Loved the Trimat advanced sensitive washing powder, the prewash spray & disan laundry soak. Nappies are great.

The thing I liked about Aldi the most (besides the price) was how fast it was to do the shopping, you could be in & out in under half an hr. I find coles & woolies just so overwhelming with the amount of choice after being an Aldi shopper for the last 7 yrs. We moved at the beginning of the year & don’t have Aldi here. Our groceries used to average $120/wk & now it’s around the $170.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Trimat liquid is awesome too! The fabric softener is not so good though.

They have eggplant dip which I love so does kiddo, I love their cheeses I buy a block of tasty every week, and their parmesan is pretty awesome too.

They also have plain 'organic' pasta sauce without stupid high sugar content for $2/bottle.
    Also their pasta is super cheap like 70c a pack but is at least as good as San remo.

Sometimes they also have disolvable vitamins fairly cheaply, there's a magnesium and zinc one I often buy when I can get it, I find helps.