+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default your top 3 life changing gadgets/appliances for home/kitchen

was going to say kitchen only but thought that might be slightly limiting. so what are your top 3 game changer gadgets for home and/or kitchen? things you bought and now use constantly, couldn’t live without, that kind of thing.

mine:

- dyson stick vacuum. absolute bloody game changer. i hate vacuuming, the whole ballsing about to get the b@stard out, find power outlets, maneuvering around furniture. honestly by the time i’d got the thing out i was mentally exhausted and i hadn’t even started. the dyson stick vac is the best of a vacuum and hoover (upright use) so no aching lower back. just zip around cord free. you probably wouldn’t do the entire house with it but it’s fabulous for spot cleaning/doing a room or area of the house. i use it daily, sometimes multiple times daily. for someone who was lucky to vacuum even vaguely frequently, this has been a huge game changer.

- air fryer. ok so i’m pretty new to the whole AF thing but so far, i’m liking what i see. i’m someone who hates cooking meat, mainly frying, due to the oil spatter and mess and the smell of cooking meat/when things burn. AF has revolutionized all this! just this week i’ve done pork belly and a roast pork. i never usually cook pork but the AF just rolls this tasty fare out like it ain’t no thing. am very excited with the AF and will continue to put it through its paces. just have the kmart one for now, which dh was exceptionally skeptical about, but i’ve won him over with the pork meals this week and he’s now researching bigger and better makes

- my slow cooker because it has additional
    cooking features such as brown and sauté,
    meaning i can brown onion, meat etc in the same pan as what i slow cook in, making it truly one-pot cooking. we used to have one that was only a slow cooker which i found pointless, because i hate having to fry meat in a separate pan then transfer to slow cooker. seems pointless if it doesn’t really cut back on washing up.

anyway those are my 3. i’d say probably the one appliance i bought that i thought i’d use more and haven’t, is my kitchenaid. i just don’t have the time for much baking these days. it’s a bit disappointing as it wasn’t cheap and it takes up a fair bit of space. not ready to sell it yet but yeah, definitely hasn’t really had the use i envisaged it would.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

lilsushi (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thermomix. My kids fight over who gets the most cauliflower because of my thermomix.

Dishwasher. Don’t know how I got by without one.

My next one isn’t a gadget but I love my underfloor heating in our en-suite and main bathroom. Has been amazing this winter just gone!

Whilst I like my Dyson 10 stick vacuum, I don’t think it’s worth the price tag. I would not be without my regular Dyson.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (14-09-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i’d love a thermomix but have no kitchen real estate left 🤣

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My multi cooker (pressure, slow, brown,simmer, salute, rice) I think I missed one. The pressure function is ahfreakingmazeballs

Electric steamer (can do entire meals.... Fish/chicken, veg, rice... minted peas or honey carrots.)

Stick blender with other attachments. (Love that it whisks, chops, blends etc)

I'm also fond of my stick vac.... and dishwasher...
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 14-09-2019 at 15:28.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    i was tempted for a multi but was concerned it would be one of those gadgets that did a few functions mediocrely as opposed to really doing them well. what brand do you have?

i’m pleased with my slow cooker. we have an old school pressure cooker which i’m too scared to use. also have a rice cooker which is ok, we use it a bit, but it’s probably a bit of a waste of cupboard space. i wish i could do rice in my slow cooker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    i was tempted for a multi but was concerned it would be one of those gadgets that did a few functions mediocrely as opposed to really doing them well. what brand do you have?

i’m pleased with my slow cooker. we have an old school pressure cooker which i’m too scared to use. also have a rice cooker which is ok, we use it a bit, but it’s probably a bit of a waste of cupboard space. i wish i could do rice in my slow cooker.
    I got the sunbeam I think. Maybe it's Breville? It's the aviva one 🤷‍♀️

I had an old school pressure pot, Michelle bridges brand, I got from big w... after about 4 uses the seal kept letting go. Such a shame.

I use it to do Asian dishes, curries, stews, soups.

Brown the meat in it, throw in veg, liquid, lid on, set and forget until it beeps. It may need thickening.... a casserole cut of beef (Chuck, gravy) is break-apart tender in 30 mins

Everyone loves the Mongolian beef I do.

Sometimes I plan a casserole and forget or run out of time to get it in the oven on time, so just throw it In the pressure cooker. I use a rough rule of About 12 mins for chicken, 20 for regular steak, 30 for slow cook cuts.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Multi cooker- I have the Breville one. I really only use the pressure cook and rice cook functions. I've trialled the slow cook, but think the meat turns out better on pressure rather than the slow cook. Gave away our slow cooker.
    Dyson stick vac- we sold our regular one.
    I like the idea of a Google Home/ home mini type device, but not keen on the amount of data they would end up accumulating on us. That and they surely listen in.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Love my Kitchen Aid Nespresso machine and Apple TV. Oh and a $10 rice cooker from Coles, I suck at cooking rice and this does it perfectly.
    I have a Breville food processor, Kitchen Aid mixer and slow cooker. I know most people love these - I mean they are good and useful when needed but I don’t often make food that use these 🤷‍♀️
    I have a Dyson and a stick Dyson but the cleaner and DH do most (all) of the vacuuming so I’m not fussed.
    Not an appliance but I got these sistema containers the other day and they ROCK. https://sistemaplastics.com/https://...ews-brilliance

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Probably doesn’t count as a gadget or appliance but my Barracat knife set. I’ve always just gone the low budget knives until dh bought me this set for Mother’s Day and oh lord how I love proper knives!

Slow cooker. Nothing fancy just a Kmart cheapie.

Third would be a toss up between my washing machine and dryer. Machine because it’s a 10kg top loader so handles the ridiculous amount of washing we do with ease and I can check the cycle progress via an app to save me walking downstairs to see if it’s finished or not. Dryer because... tribe of kids and north qld weather

I used to be desperate for a thermomix but I got a cheaper brand with the same functions as a tester and I didn’t use it nearly as much as I thought I would. It was just too small for the amount of food we have to cook. It was useful for stuff like mincing steak/chicken if we’d run out of mince but that was about it. Dh recently bought me a Dyson Ball vac and tbh I don’t rate it. It does the same job my $49 Kmart one does.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Multi cooker - I'm yet to use the slow cooker function, but I love the pressure setting. I've cooked so many new things since getting it, and it also kicks butt compared to the traditional methods of some of my go to lazy meals.

Pod espresso machine - I know it's not good for the environment, but it's so good to roll out of bed in the morning and barely do anything for my coffee to be made while I'm making breakfast for the kids.

Dyson stick vac - it's so much easier than pulling out a corded vacuum and lugging it around.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post: