+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Painful wind in 6 week old

Just wondering if anyone can share some tips or advice on dealing with really bad wind? My 6 week old has had wind pretty much since birth but it’s been slowly getting worse and worse. He gets really fussy and irritated after each feed and he rarely gets a solid sleep in because he usually gets woken up by tummy pains within 30 minutes of going to sleep. He’s only ever been breastfed but I’ve started expressing milk in the last couple of weeks so that others can give him a bottle while I catch up on sleep. He gets so distressed that I rarely get more than 20 minutes sleep at a time. I’ve tried almost everything that I can think of; breaking for burps during feeds, infants friend, massage, warm baths, bicycling exercises, even changing my own diet! A couple of people have suggested switching him to formula as this helped them but I’m really hesitant because I had my heart set on breastfeeding for at least the first 9 months and I’m worried that he might reject my milk after trying formula. I’m all out of ideas and honestly, I’m exhausted from only getting an hour or 2 of broken sleep each day so it’s really starting to take its toll on my mental health 😭

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You poor thing. That's so very difficult. It sounds like you are doing an amazing job with him, trying to elevate his discomfort and get you both some sleep. I went through similar with my second,, and I know how devastatingly exhausting it is. I wih I'd asked for help sooner with my reflux baby. When I did, it actually took a while for anyone to believe me.

Hopefully you have a good gp you trust? I would take him along and explain what is happening, and hopefully you'll get some suggestions. There are things that can help. Your health and sleep /sanity are really important, as well as bub's, so try to get help from a Gp as se you can. For both of your sakes. You both need to be getting more sleep.

In terms of my experience , my bub had silent reflux, which is not necessarily the same as yours, so we started using mylanta to stop the burning in the throat, then eventually losec. But if your bub is just struggling with painful wind, your gp will probably have ideas for you to deal with that. You don't have to cope with this on your own. It's an incredibly difficult thing, and you will both be happier and bond better if you are sleeping.

I have a really windy baby at the moment, a bit older than yours (12w). I think you are trying a lot of good things. With mine, I have to burp her for up to 30-40 mins sometimes after a feed to get enough wind out to make her comfortable. I find holding her upright with head on my shoulder for a while and firmly patting her back, then lying her on her back on my lap for about 30 sec-a minute, then back up to my shoulder usually manoeuvres some wind out. The change of position seems to help. It can take a really long time, though. But for us, I find that 40 mins burping can buy me an extra bit of sleep in the long run, so it's worth it.

In terms of my diet, I do try to leave out some things when I feel there might be a link. I think chocolate makes it worse for her, possibly beans, and possibly veggies like broccoli and cabbage. I've heard that you need to eliminate the trouble makers from your diet for 2 weeks before you know if there's any difference, though...

Good luck and take care. The first six weeks are usually the hardest, so well done on getting this far. I hope you find something that helps and get more sleep soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing! I feel for you. I don’t believe switching to formula would be the answer as bottle fed babies generally suck in more air.
    How’s your supply? Is bub getting enough? What’s his latch like? You could see a lactation consultant to ensure latch is ok and bub not taking in air.
    It sounds like you’re doing everything right, you’re doing a great job mumma well done!
    Is it possible bub is really over tired? Overtired bubs generally wake up at the 20-30 minute mark as they’re falling into a deep sleep, they can also be fussy feeders as they can start to drift off to sleep whilst feeding then wake up screaming. An over tired bub will do anything to fight falling asleep. Just something else to consider. A crying distressed baby can suck in air which makes you think they have wind but it’s because they have sucked it in whilst crying.

I really feel for you, please keep asking for help. You need to rest so you can look after your beautiful boy. It’s hard work, but it’ll get easier soon.
    I also have a 6 week old, if you need to chat pm me.

Oh and I find tummy time helps my bub bring up wind too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies! I have an appointment tomorrow with his GP and she is absolutely fantastic so hopefully we’ll have some answers by tomorrow arvo. It couldn’t come soon enough, I’ve just spent the last 2.5 hours trying to sooth and comfort him to sleep. It’s not that he doesn’t want to sleep ; I think he’s just so uncomfortable that he can’t. The problem we have is that because he’s not getting a proper sleep because the tummy pains keep waking him up, he’s become so overtired that he is even more irritable 😭 God I hope we find a solution soon! It breaks my heart to see him so unhappy. Plus I’m running on vapours and I’ve only got one tiny little bit of my sanity left!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor things. Both of you need some rest. It's so completely shattering. You might have thought of this already, but I find my windy babies often get a sleep in my ergo. They are close to me and can snuggle up, but they're also upright, so can sometimes get some burps out during their nap. and when I have an overtired bub I sometimes find putting her in the ergo and going outside in the wibd/sun for a walk helps distract her off to sleep. And it helps my sanity too on those tricky days.
    All the best for the gp appt.